Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Peter Capaldi is The Doctor!

Yes!

But what do you think?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Not moved either way. Can't see it just yet, but he's a great, versatile actor so we'll see.

Hurrah. This is exactly who I wanted to play the Doctor - at least for the past few weeks. Feels like such a natural choice!

Why do we have to have the 50th Anniversary special first? Cut to the chase!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm absolutely over the moon! A younger doctor would have been a mistake. Peter has the right gravitas with an evil twinkle in his eye. He's going to be great!

Enough with the Scottish agenda!

Great news, if somewhat spoiled by the bookies and media this week. Seems like a good choice, although I am wary of fans playing the role. He's an actor of the highest quality though, so should be in fine hands.

Although I'm initially pleased to see an older actor (again), I do wonder how they'll manage with the fast paced action we're used to, unless Moffat is really planning a drastic change in style.

Zoe was looking great, and nice to see Liza Tarbuck on, was a very enjoyable show.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

First publicity shot:

So. You see. This could never happen if Scotland separated from the UK.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

He's a good actor, but I'm reserving judgement on him as the Doctor until I see it.

I still say he's too old though. It's not like he's a young looking 55 either.

I think its a very good choice as far as acting ability goes, and a move away from the Nu Hoo youth obsession, so I'll be very interested to see where they go with this. I do wonder, though, whether the general viewing public will be so enamoured of the choice (although it will depend very much on the character they build) - he's not really totty material is he like Ten-inch or Smiffy ?

" Oi, Davros. What the **** do you think you doing ? You've got about 5 minutes to move your shiny a*** off my planet afore I shove your **** so far down your **** , you'll be picking globes out of it for the next ****ing millenium. Now beat it !! "
    Bazinga !

Last edited by Philipnet; 4th Aug 2013 at 8:31 PM. Reason: To use the new iplayer tags

I didn't realise that was the finished look. Hmmmm. He's a strong actor, but it's a very nondescript image. Hope they give it some tweaks before they start.

Pretty sure that's not his actual costume. Have to say I'm very relieved. Just have to get over the anxiety about the anniversary special first before I get excited

I hope Si doesn't mind, but I've added some iplayer tags to the forum and edited his post (above) to use them
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

It'll be fascinating to see how Clara reacts to an older Doctor

She probably won't want to have sexual intercourse with this one.

Hmmm.

Good things: it's a good break from what we've had before. He has Doctorish hair. He's a brilliant actor, so that's always good. He's not a bright young hope so therefore less chance he will zip off for a film career after two or three seasons (but keep reading...)...

On the other hand... I haven't seen him in much, but is he more of a supporting actor? He was good in "Fires" but he was a solid supporting role, he didn't exactly shine. He's the oldest since Hartnell, so as one female fan friend just said "Yay, less queues for the girls loos at conventions". Expect most female fans to be tuning out. And that got me thinking - what about the kids? In the sixties, kids heroes and role models WERE older authority figures, but today? There's a reason why recent Doctors popular with kids have been young and funky and done things like eat fish fingers and custard. How many eight year olds can we see at conventions dressing up as Peter Capaldi? One of my female fan friends just said her 13 year old son and his mates were distinctly unimpressed. And who can blame them? What kid is going to think yay, a fifty five year old hero! Also on a logical level, why would regeneration make you older? It had just started to make sense.

Of COURSE we're all thrilled. We're all thirty to forty year old fans who respect DECENT ACTORS. In a way the choice being greeted rapturously by everyone my age sets alarm bells ringing; I always thought I WANTED an older Doctor, but now it's here I kind of wonder if it would be better for the Universe if it was a choice we were all slightly unsure about. It's too safe. When Matt Smith was cast there was this fresh, glowing, twinkly young man raring to go. Today I see a very calm, old, rather tired looking actor and I wonder what's been lost. Maybe the girls and the kids. Has Doctor Who just passed back into the hands of (shudder) the fans?

Bleeding Cool speculates that Moffat might want to "do" the story of the Doctor ending his life, and set up the next regeneration cycle, and combined with Capaldi being an in-demand actor of high repute, he might just stay for a year or so and set things up for the first Doctor of a "new" regeneration cycle. Maybe a woman? All just speculation.

Time will tell.

Si.

He was superb and scene stealing as Uncle Rory in The Crow Road- which was when I first thought he'd be a superb Doctor. He's a got a good range, he's played a huge number of roles down the years, and really which Doctors have been leading men before they got the role? Patrick Troughton is a good example of someone with a similar career, who could take the lead rather well. I think he's going to be wonderful.

I also think it'll be great for the kids of today to have an older figure as the Doctor. What a brilliant role model that would be, remind them that he wasn't always as young as DT or MS. It changes the whole dynamic of the show and I think that's what's needed right now- something different and that's what we've got.

He's going to be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    He was superb and scene stealing as Uncle Rory in The Crow Road- which was when I first thought he'd be a superb Doctor. He's a got a good range, he's played a huge number of roles down the years, and really which Doctors have been leading men before they got the role? Patrick Troughton is a good example of someone with a similar career, who could take the lead rather well. I think he's going to be wonderful.

I also think it'll be great for the kids of today to have an older figure as the Doctor. What a brilliant role model that would be, remind them that he wasn't always as young as DT or MS. It changes the whole dynamic of the show and I think that's what's needed right now- something different and that's what we've got.

He's going to be amazing.
    That's exactly how I feel. Out of all of the names floating around Capaldi was the only one I wanted it to be, and I may have shouted out "Yes!!!!!!!!!" when the announcement was made.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Yeah, I did the same here. I must have shocked my neighbours because it was a very loud YES too!

It's too bad the press ruined it in a way. I can see how he'd work, just... felt a but muted at the announcement.

Oh well! Now we wait to see him in action.

Incidentally Dino, spoiler tags are still available as always if you use +Reply to Thread. It seems to take a few extra seconds for that option to work now, but it does still work.

Si.

I was just thinking about Si's point:

What kid is going to think yay, a fifty five year old hero!
    and sort of agreeing, but then remembered how the kids loved The Sarah Jane Adventures, with it's 60 something hero. I don't think it's going to be a problem

I approve of having a Doctor that's older than me once more. I might have to start watching it again.
    Ironically, He was in the last episode of 'Prime Suspect' that we watched the other night, Playing a young transexual. Really good performance it was too.

While I understand the consideration that kids might not relate to an older Doctor, it wasn't an issue to us lot. If the younger people today can't cope with the fact that heroes can look older, surely we shouldn't pander to that? We dumb down enough as it is, without having to make a 1000 year old man look no older than 30.

Can't say I'm that surprised but a very good choice from what I 've seen from him in other roles