Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More Anniversary Gifts / Tat ! - Figurines Collection

Don't think I've seen these mentioned anywhere else on PS (apologies if I've missed it), and haven't seen them advertised anywhere until a little side ad popped up on Facebook today.

The Doctor Who Figurine Collection

Apparently appears in shops from Wednesday.

Like most of these part works, I expect the magazine will be pretty dispensible (although on the website Issue 1's mag looks better than most). And I expect many of the 80 promised figurines will be New Series (alhough the advert vid shows a 3 Doctors version of Omega). But I am very tempted....
    Bazinga !

Hmm, me too. I've always liked the idea of having Doctor Who miniatures, and after giving up on the figures years ago, these could be just the thing. Of course, they may not be quite as detailed as Character's figures, but I thought the Marvel figurines from a few years ago were pretty good, so i might just have to get these. I just have to weigh up the pros and cons of spending £7 on a little DW figure every month...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I just have to weigh up the pros and cons of spending £7 on a little DW figure every month...
    It's worse than that, Dave - thery're every 2 weeks .
    Bazinga !

I picked up the first issue today, and I have to say that the Matt Smith figure isn't great. It doesn't really look like him despite their claims of doing this all digitally and the paint job could have been done better. My figure has a bald patch on his head.

Having said that, I am tempted to go for the upgraded subscription in order to get the 7 rare dalek figurines and the stand.

But, beware, if you subscribe, you have to opt out of having a new stand sent to you every 10 issues at a cost of £14.99 per stand as well as a new binder every 16 issues at another cost of £6.99 per binder. There is a planned 80 issues so this could be expensive.
    Last edited by duncan; 28th Aug 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    It's worse than that, Dave - thery're every 2 weeks .
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I have to say that the Matt Smith figure isn't great. It doesn't really look like him despite their claims of doing this all digitally and the paint job could have been done better. My figure has a bald patch on his head...

But, beware, if you subscribe, you have to opt out of having a new stand sent to you every 10 issues at a cost of £14.99 per stand as well as a new binder every 16 issues at another cost of £6.99 per binder. There is a planned 80 issues so this could be expensive.
    Hmmm, maybe I'll pass then.

I did subscribe in the end and went for the enhanced subscription in order to collect the Dalek figuines.

Issues 2 & 3 arrived yesterday and came with a Cyberman and Davros figurine. The Davros one is by far the best of the three I have so far and is made of metal and plastic making it feel quite heavy.
    Last edited by duncan; 12th Sep 2013 at 11:30 AM.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Are the magazines any good Duncan? Or just throw away material?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The seem good quality. I haven't sat down and read any of them yet but have had a flick through. I've started putting them in the binder to keep them in good nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Are the magazines any good Duncan? Or just throw away material?
    They're not bad, actually - quite lightweight, but some gorgeous colour pics in them.

I succumbed today and bought full price Davros - and the figure is pretyy damn good !
    Bazinga !

Two satisfied customers? For a Figurine collection? It must be a good Davros!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Bought the first one (or should I say me lovely rascal bought me the first one), but I had to scramble through the shelves looking for one that was well enough painted. Some were quite poor to the extent I'd be put off subscribing if I'd been tempted previously. They'd have been better left unpainted with a faux metallic resin finish in my opinion.

My 11th doctor has broken already.

As I have no stand for them yet, I have kept all three figures in their boxes on top of the DVD cabinet. Just last night I noticed one was gone and found it on the floor down the back of the cabinet. Someone had obviously knocked the cabinet causing it to fall.

Once retrieved, I found that it's left arm had completely broken off, so I am going to have to try and find another copy of issue one to replace it!

The shops here are still full of them. If you haven't found one by the weekend g'is a shout and I'll grab one and send it down for you.

Thank you, but I got another one from Smiths on my way home last night. I wasn't expecting them to still have so many as issue two is already out.

Now we have just found the Cyberman figure has been knocked off the stand and it has broke clean in half! I'm not impressed at how easily these figurines break.

That's what makes them collectible - future rarities! Make sure your Dalek doesn't lose it's plunger or eyestalk.

I've moved them now and they are safely on the dressing table in the bedroom. I plane to put some shelving up in the living room so they are out of the way. I think one of our cats may have knocked it.

Did anyone else opt in for the specials when they subscribed? I did and was shocked when I received an email this morning telling me about the first one. It's a Tardis special and as a subscriber I can have it for the discounted price of £14.99! For a magazine??

I have now cancelled it and opted out of receiving the specials as it will become far too expensive.

This is looking more & more like the Doctor Who Chess set saga. That thing ended up costing hundreds of pounds.

Did anyone else opt in for the specials when they subscribed? I did and was shocked when I received an email this morning telling me about the first one. It's a Tardis special and as a subscriber I can have it for the discounted price of £14.99! For a magazine??

I have now cancelled it and opted out of receiving the specials as it will become far too expensive.
    It's the norm now, unfortunately. The Batmobile Collection, the Marvel Fact Files and others suddenly have these unannounced specials that you need if you're a completist- and they know it of course.

I didn't subscribe because most of the paint jobs on the Matt and the Davros near me were so poor that I had to go looking around for the best of a bad job- not an option open to the subscriber.

If there was a big secret special- like the Tardis, it should have been included in the subscription instead of that pointless half scale scale Dalek Emperor.

My Dalek Emporer arrived today and to show the size of it, my Dapol 7th Doctor is stood next to it.

Cor! That's damn impressive!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

And surprisingly heavy!

As action figures go, it doesn't look like it's got the most playability or features... but it is still awesome.

All hail the GREAT Exterminator!

Absolutely nothing moves on it. I checked the dome and the eyestalk as well as the claws and they are all fixed. It's an ornament and not designed for playability.

My Dalek Emporer arrived today and to show the size of it, my Dapol 7th Doctor is stood next to it.
    And yet, conversely, only half the size it should be to be in scale with figurines it comes with. There have been some lovely sculpts in this collection. Sad how haphazard some of the paint jobs have been though, because it's harder to find really good ones now most newsagents no longer carry it except to order.