Default 1988- Where were you?

25 years, can you believe it?

Where were you in 1988, how old were you, what were you doing? Share your memories of the year here!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was about to start a big new chapter in my life - my first year at Bath Uni. My first memory of that day was - the bathroom is communal. Shock horror! My second memory was delaying going to the Student Union bar by half an hour because I wanted to watch Corrie. Yep I was sad even back then!

I too had started a big chapter in my life. I had left home in order to take a job in Hockley, Essex as manager of a newsagents. I had the flat above the shop as my own and learned to cook over the phone by ringing my mum and telling her what I had for my dinner and she would tell me how to cook it!

Over the first few months, I got chatting to a very beautiful young lady and by the time Dr Who had started we were dating. She was with me when part two of Remembrance of the Daleks aired and I remember her getting excited at the cliffhanger of Ace about to be exterminated.

We ended up marrying in the August of 1989, but it wasn't to be and we split. But, 1988 stands out in my memory of being a happy year and full of fond memories.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I was still at school, just entering the third year at Secondary School as this season was broadcast. I'd got my first job over the summer holidays (a paper round), so I'd got money coming in for the first time and I was spending it all on on all the Doctor Who stuff I could get my hands on! I was a full on Doctor Who fan at this point- very geeky, but quite happy!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was 8, and Remembrance was the best thing ever at the time.

1988, 25 years! I really, really can't believe it.

In 1986, during transmission of Trail of a Timelord I'd met Viv on a community scheme we were working on.
    By the end of 1987 we decided we were getting married and did so at the end of January 1988. In October that same year along came our daughter Amy, she was born on the 26th October, the same day the final episode of Remembrance of the Daleks was shown, she was born to be a Doctor Who fan, unfortunately she doesn't have quite my enthusiasm for the show anymore.
    Viv and I celebrated our silver wedding anniversary earlier this year, Amy celebrates her 25th birthday in a few months time, all grown up and married. Where does the time go?

I was 9 years old. My sister, who is the youngest of my siblings, was born in June of that year so that was pretty much the focus for my family at that time although I can vividly remember watching the whole of season 25.
    That was also the year that the Discovery part-work launched me on my pursuit of historical knowledge which finally resulted in starting my history degree last year.

I was in the midst of my A-Levels, having started in September 1987 (the same day as Time and the Rani part 2, fact fans) and finished in June 1989. I have to admit it wasn't my favourite time, and looking back with the benefit of hindsight it was probably a time of a great many missed opportunities.

I left school in May 1988, successfully failed (contraction in terms, I know) all my GCSE's that summer and started working for what was then HM Customs & Excise that October. My friendship with Ant Cox was still quite new back then and I still remember him being very excited about recording the new season of Doctor Who for himself and not having to watch mine all the time. I particularly remember him being excited to own his own copy of the title sequence (see, it's not just me that like this kind of thing)!!!

It was a good time in my life (despite the afore-mentioned exam results) as I never really mixed with girls at school and the school where Ant and I finished at was an all boys school so there was zero mixing with girls there....well it was an issue for me anyway!
    Work was such a culture shock for me - men and women actually talking to other like best friends (of the same sex) did at school. I think in my mind boys didn't talk to girls much and vice-versa!
    Although my shyness meant I didn't get anywhere, a week after I started work this gorgeous girl started. She was a real knockout and I was completely besotted for a few years!
    In fact a rivalry over her between an equally shy bloke and me led to the start of another great friendship. I am still very good fiends with my mate from work Adam.
    Between Ant and Adam (not literally of course) I have two of the best mates a bloke could want.
    1988 was a good time for me - still can't believe it was 25 years ago though!