View Poll Results: Who provided the best Incidental Music in the late 80s?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dominic Glynn

7 35.00%
  • Richard Hartley

0 0%
  • Keff McCulloch

4 20.00%
  • Mark Ayres

9 45.00%

Default The Planet Skaro Incidental Music Poll: Round 2

Hello and welcome to Round 2.

We're in the late 80s now and the Radiophonic Workshop composers have been phased out for a new group of freelance writers ready with their synths to provide the music for the show between Trial of a Time Lord and Survival.

But were they any good? Opinion is divided on the matter- but now it's up to you. Who was your favourite of the four freelancers?

Your choices are:

Dominic Glynn: Theme arrangement, Trial pts 1-4, Pts 13-14, Dragonfire, The Happiness Patrol, Survival

Richard Hartley: Trial pts 5-8

Keff McCulloch: Theme arrangement, Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, Remembrance of the Daleks, Silver Nemesis, Battlefield

Mark Ayres: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric

Choose now, and don't forget to tell us why!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Dominic Glynn for me - his work on Ultimate Foe alone wins my vote

Wayne Guest

I've gone for Mark Ayres. Largely because of his Fenric, (& to a lesser extent Ghostlight) music which i think is really good. I can't really remember his work on 'Greatest Show', but then i've only seen it once.

Dominic Glynn for the number of musical styles used.

Infact Keff is the only duffer in this group, but someone has to win.

Make way for a naval officer!

Mark Ayres wins for me here, as he provided some suitably atmospheric and stylish music for three very good stories, and his proved a refreshing change to Keff McCulloch's very samey scores, which were, by-and-large, terrible. In fact, the best thing that McCulloch did was his not-very-good-but-it's-better-than-the-last-one theme arrangement - and that's saying something!

I can't remember much about Richard Hartley's 'Trial' soundtrack, but Dominic Glynn produced some excellent music, notably the superb 'Survival' score, and, like Ayres, he provided a much-needed alternative to Keff's stuff. However, he loses out for me here because of his awful, awful theme arrangement, which, for me, is just an insult to the genius of Ron Grainer, Delia Derbyshire and the Radiophonic Workshop. In my opinion, it's the single worst thing about Season 23 - and that really is saying something!!!

But he played a big organ, a guitar and a harmonica!

Ayers just twiddles with his knobs

Mark Ayres for me. Ghostlight & Curse of Fenric were so good I bought the Cd's & then I bought Greatest Show in the Galaxy...we all make mistakes!

I'm not voting for him, but I would just like to stick up for Keff McCulloch. I've always maintained that his season 24 scores are perfectly-pitched to the style of the stories - I really can't imagine anybody scoring TATR or Paradise Towers any better than he does, and they have an exuberant freshness that really goes with the shows in question. The problem is that when the production team are trying hard to engender more mystery and a more serious tone, in seasons 25 & 26, his music doesn't move with it, with the result that his scores for his next three stories jar with the material.

Anyway, that over, it's between Glynn and Ayres for me. I like all three of Mark Ayres scores, especially Fenric, but I'm going for Glynn. His theme arrangement I actually quite like (except that tinny bit in the end titles) although it doesn't fit the visuals as well as the Howell version. His music for "Survival" is really striking, and likewise his music in "The Happiness Patrol" perfectly matches the feel of the piece - the menacing Kandyman theme is very well-written, and I dread to think what the story would have been like if it had been Keff-d instead. I also like Glynn's TOATL music, especially the very opening to part 1, as the Trial ship appears, dragging in the TARDIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I also like Glynn's TOATL music, especially the very opening to part 1, as the Trial ship appears, dragging in the TARDIS.
    Oh yes, he probably deserves to win for that piece of music alone, but I just keep thinking of his arrangement of the theme...

I went for Dominic Glynn, because his music was inventive and atmospheric. Actually, that could also apply to Mark Ayres music for the series at this point too, which I like very much, just not as much! I always wished Glynn got more stories to score.

I agree with Andrew about Keff. His scores fit perfectly with Season 24, less so with seasons 25 and 26- by Battlefield jis music seemed to be working against the story, which was a shame as that story needed all the help it could get.

Si xx

This is actually quite a tough one!

Dominic Glynn just pips Mark Ayres for my vote.

I really like MA's scores (even TGSITG with it's circus/rap elements!) but i think I prefer DG's sytle overall.

The only story where Keff's music is actually of benefit is Remembrance; the rest of it I don't think much of.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    The only story where Keff's music is actually of benefit is Remembrance; the rest of it I don't think much of.
    You got that right Ant. Remembrance was his peak as far as I see it.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Hmmm...... I'm not so sure, personally. Bits of it are alright i think, but a lot of is horribly unsuitable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Hmmm...... I'm not so sure, personally. Bits of it are alright i think, but a lot of is horribly unsuitable, IMO.
    I agree. Paradise Towers and Delta are the times he gets it right for me.

I want to vote for poor old Keff, but his scores were fairly farting, pushing Doctor Who towards "Wish You Were Here".

I couldn't vote for Mark Ayres because he didn't actually author any of the music he takes credit for - a small man with a whispy beard who he keeps in a box under his stairs does it all. He also de-clicks all the Doctor Who soundtracks. Somewhere in Asia his family are negotiating with the British Government for his freedom, if only someone could find him.

So it's Glynn, and his lovely unfashionable "Trial" score that wins it for me.

Si.

It's a close run thing between DG and MA for me. But I've always liked MA's scores so I have to vote him the best.
    I think GhostLight is his best one (although it's his least personal favourite).

I hate to jump on the Keff bashing band wagon ...............Oh alright then I will........
    I think only TATR and Remembrance benefit from Keff's 'Orchestra Hits' and electronic sounding drums!!

I like Richard Hartley's soundtrack to Mind Warp - especially the main 'sting' that runs all the way through and link a lot of change of location scenes together.
    By contrast I possitively hate Malcolm 'big crashes & sound effects type music' Clark's soundtrack to TOTV - it's almost as though he wants Dick Mill's job and would rather be doing sounds effects! - There's hardley any actual music in this story!!!!

I voted Keff!

I had the 25th Anniversary tape as a kid and I loved it. Here's to the future - love is the answer! Genius
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've still got that album, on tape & 12" vinyl.

transvamp Guest

Mark Ayres

Somehow the score for Greatest Show in the Galaxy always stays with me.

You make it sound like a dodgy curry!

Mark Ayres over eggs the omlette, especially on the Curse of Fenric movie version thing. No when to stop! There's just a bit too much music and it gets a bit tiresome.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Mark Ayres over eggs the omlette, especially on the Curse of Fenric movie version thing. No when to stop! There's just a bit too much music and it gets a bit tiresome.
    Y'see, i think exactly the same thing about 'The Leisure Hive'. The man never shuts up!

I see Keff is making a late strike for glory. Poor old Richard Hartley though. He was pretty good- he should done some more, then he might have scored higher.

Si xx

That's bloody Mark Ayres through to the next round then! Bloody democracy!

Si.

It's looking like Si's right...

If you disagree then make it known now, as this round closes tomorrow lunchtime.

Si xx