Default Celebrating the 50th with the BBC

Some details of what the BBC are doing for the 50th anniversary are beginning to emerge:
    The BBC have announced details of a number of television shows celebrating the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary. Not only do we have the genesis of Doctor Who drama An Adventure in Space and Time (details HERE), there's much more to come! Check out the details below.

• BBC Two lecture by Professor Brian Cox (The Power of Three) on the science behind Doctor Who.

• BBC Four will air a re-run of the first ever story. The four episodes are being shown in a restored format, not previously broadcast in the UK.

• BBC Two's The Culture Show will present Me, You and Doctor Who, with lifelong fan Matthew Sweet (name-checked in The Crimson Horror) exploring the cultural significance of Doctor Who.

• BBC Three will air several programmes whilst Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide is a starter for those less familiar with the show.

• Who Is The Doctor? is a 90-minute documentary from BBC Radio 2 using newly-recorded interviews and exclusive archive material.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

And more from the BBC:

The BBC has announced a raft of programmes to mark the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Doctor Who.

A 75-minute special called The Day Of The Doctor will star the soon-to-leave Matt Smith and David Tennant.

Smith said: "Hope you all enjoy. There's lots more coming your way."

Other highlights include a BBC Two lecture by Professor Brian Cox on the science behind the hit show and the drama An Adventure In Space and Time, written by Mark Gatiss.

The one-off programme stars David Bradley, of the Harry Potter films, as William Hartnell - who was the first Doctor in 1963.

Restored episodes

BBC Four will introduce new audiences to Hartnell, with a re-run of the first ever story. The four episodes are being shown in a restored format, not previously broadcast in the UK.

BBC Two's flagship arts programme The Culture Show is to present Me, You and Doctor Who, with lifelong fan Matthew Sweet exploring the cultural significance of the BBC's longest running TV drama.

A 90-minute documentary on BBC Radio 2 will ask "Who Is The Doctor?" - using newly-recorded interviews and exclusive archive material to find an answer - while BBC Three will be home to several commissions.

For those less familiar with the show, Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide will provide a handy primer.

Danny Cohen, Director BBC Television said: "It's an astonishing achievement for a drama to reach its 50th anniversary.

"I'd like to thank every person - on both sides of the camera - who has been involved with its creative journey over so many years."

Smith has already started filming his final scenes as the Doctor, which are due to air in this year's Christmas episode. His replacement, Scots actor Peter Capaldi, was announced in August.

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer on Doctor Who said: "50 years has turned Doctor Who from a television show into a cultural landmark. Personally I can't wait to see what it becomes after a hundred."

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well, for those who wanted some sort of repeats...

"It's taking over TV."

Well the Daleks are conquering Trumpton anyway...

I always used to think Mrs Honeybon (sp?) was a Dalek, as she used to glide across the floor. Of course, she may have just been an ex-Georgian State Dancer.

Stately as a galleon she waltzed across the floor... Mrs. Honeyman had previously been married to Davros, that's where he got his ideas.