Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RIP Larry Stewart

Sad news.

Our good friend and regular poster Larry passed away last Friday.

He will be very much missed on our forum and a great deal more by those who have met him and shared in his company. He was a good friend and always very upbeat and happy when we spoke to him. He has been ill for a while and hasn't been able to make it to our Bracknell get-togethers - we were already sorry not to have him there.

Very sad. RIP Larry.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I got the message a little while ago from Larry's sister. I can't quite believe it. I know we haven't seen him at the pub for a little while, but I did always hope we'd have the chance to see him again sometime.

He was always lovely and cheerful, and good to chat to and all of us at the Bracknell pub meets will miss a great deal.

RIP Larry.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh gosh, what sad news. He always seemed so enthusiastic on line, what a sad loss for his family & friends. Poor Larry.

I only got to know Larry fairly recently through the Bracknell meet-ups, and always enjoyed his lively company, as well as his posts here. This is very sad news. R.I.P. Larry. You'll be missed.

Sad news indeed.

He was noticeable by his absence at the Bracknell meets; and that made me suspect things had taken a turn for the worse.

However I'm glad we got to celebrate his 40th birthday two years ago . It was great meeting him in his normal surroundings with his family - even if we were dubbed the "Doctor Who friends" ;-)
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Larry was rarely captured on camera - but here's a nice pic from that very birthday party in 2011.

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

just seen this sad to hear this RIP larry you have been missed

This is very sad - we were only just discussing at the last B meet-up how much we were missing him.

I didn't get to know Larry much outside the Bracknell get togethers and here online, but he was always enthusiastic and keen to discuss the audios, DVDs and TV series that we'd been watching or listening to.

RIP Larry
    Bazinga !

Very upsetting to hear he's passed away, as it was always good to see Larry at the meets and talking to him at the Bracknell meets was always enjoyable.

As Si had mentioned, we were aware that he hasn't been at all well recently and thus not able to make it to the meets, and as Jon's mentioned it feels even more tragic as we'd only just discussed seeing if we could visit him sometime.

At least there's the small consolation that, knowing he was in a lot of pain and discomfort, he is now at peace.

Thanks for all the great times we've all shared with you, Larry. You will be sorely missed.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

What awful news. I think I only met Larry on two occasions, and a lovely man he was too, but he was such a prolific and enthusiastic poster for so many years, not only here, but on the old BBC boards also, that I think many, many people will miss his presence greatly, myself included. Rest in peace, Larry.

Always enjoyed reading Larry's posts here and way back on the BBC boards.

A sad loss.

Everything still a muddle in my brain from this one, but I want to write something here.

The first thing you noticed when you met Larry was his disability - how the awkward difficulty he had moving around. As you got to know him, you realised there was a lot more to him than that, it limited him, but never defined him.

I got to know him well through the Bracknell meetings. It would usually be a race to which of us would be there first, and technically the meeting never started until we were both there. I think I repeatedly made the mistake of asking him about Torchwood, to which he would shake his head saying he didn't do the spinoffs (never got to ask about K9 and company).

He was a passionate fan. I remember him having a really wry sense of humour, and a strong sense of compassion.

It seems trivial to think of his death ahead of the 50th special. But it feels a tragedy. As I've learned through another friend, there will be nothing worse than watching an episode you know you'll never hear their opinion on to bring home their loss. It will turn the celebrations into something a bit more poignant.

I think of Larry, and I think of him sitting in the corner table at the Bracknell pub, waiting for us to turn up. It's numbing to realise he won't be there anymore.

RIP Mate.
    Last edited by WhiteCrowNZ; 16th Sep 2013 at 4:15 AM.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Sad news.

I never knew Larry either, but only through his posts here. It's sad that such a passionate fan now won't get the chance to see something he would no doubt have been looking forward to, regardless of what he may have thought of it in the end.

RIP Larry.

Sad news indeed.

I never met Larry either but we chatted in the Football forum often as we both supported London Football teams.

RIP Larry!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Oh, this is very sad!

I only met Larry briefly once at Si & Steve's. He was always a very enthusiastic poster on PS and will be missed.

RIP Larry.

I'm shocked - I had no idea he was ill. Thank you Larry for being you, and for joining PS.

This is very sad news. I seem to remember Larry visiting London once for a meet (Liberty Bell?) & I believe his Mum came to get him relatively early on. I didn't get to chat to him much more than an introduction but he was quite chatty & enthusiastic about Doctor Who. It was then I learned he was had a disability & wasn't up to being there really, but he came anyway. The only other time I hoped to meet him was in Bracknell near Christmas, but he couldn't make it.

Rest easy Larry, your comments & observations will be sorely missed.

I'm very sad to hear this news. I also did not know that Larry was ill, or that he had any disability. I'm quite shocked.

I'm saddened we've lost a poster. Didn't really get to know him that well, but I'm sorry to hear this. And thoughts are with his family and friends.

My respect goes to Larry and the hard life he undoubtedly lead. I also offer my sympathy and condolences to all his good friends on PS who will be feeling his loss. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a friend.

Si.

Been really sad since reading this earlier, poor Larry, told the kids as they do remember seeing him all meeting him all those years ago(" The one who knew EVERYTHING about Doctor Who")
    RIP Larry, you will be missed x

Yeah - remember that day well Allie.

If I remember Pertwee was probably his favourite era yeh? Although he liked it all.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I think that it was obvious to anyone who had met Larry that he was a fairly ill chap. However, this just seems... so out of the blue. While he clearly had health problems, I never expected him to pass away quite so soon.

I don't know whether he believes in any sort of afterlife. However, I hope that he is in a better place now. If nothing else, at least he is at peace and not suffering anymore.

And from another point-of-view, as far as I know, this is the first time a prolific poster to PS has passed away. He will be missed by the many friends that knew him both on here and in real life...

Requiescat in Pace, Larry

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I was desperately looking for the post from ages ago. But when Si Hart did his 1990-2010 roundup, Larry revealed that one year (I think about 2001) he had an attack, couldn't get out the bath and very nearly died. It was scary to read.

Makes you realise how very lucky we were to get to know this wonderful guy.

Found the thread, and in his own words ...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    On a personal note 1993, was a very big year for me those of you who know me will know that I suffer from a progressive neuroligical disorder. Back in April 1993, I was admitted to The Royal London Hospital to under go some test during the couple of weeks I was in there I started to lose the use of my right arm/hand and right leg. During those previous two weeks I would regularly nip acrooss Whitechapple Rd to the Wimpey opposit the hospital to get my dinner. But as the strength in my arm/leg got steadily weeker I had to stop doing this after one paticular trip when I honestly thought I couldn't make it back to the hosipital. I some how managed to drag myself back to my bed but it was a frightening experience and after that I never went off the ward on my own. There was even one occasion when a few weeks bewfore my surgery was to be done I was so desperate to see the FA Cup final I was allowed home for the weekend it was a crazy decision. Not only was it an awful game but when I got home I had a bath and because my legs were so week I was unable to get my selth out of the bath it took a lot of effort and help but I finally managed to get struggle out but the experience really upset me.out

Bneedles to say I never tried a weekend home again but one good thing did come out of it soon aftwerwards my mum and dad bought me a brand new portable colour tv and brought it into the hospital so that I could watch tv in bed

During this period because I was so worried about losing the use of my right hand I started to practice trying to wright with my left which wasn't easy at all.

But to cut a long story short I had several CT and MRI, scans done and my doctors found a non malignant tumour pressing against the top of my spine. Although there was no guarantee surgery would be a success It was decided that surgery would be done and It was carried out by an Australian called Mr King. My memories of that day are very vague my sugery was put back untill the afternoon I remember being wheeled into theatre and waking up briefly in recovery but have no recolection of being taken back to the ward.

When me and my mum and dad met Mr King, the next day he was delighted with the out come as he had been able to remove much more of the tumor then he'd hoped for as well as cutting away some of the bone on my spine. The strength and use of my arm and leg gradualy returned and I would be off work for the next 3 months recovering even then I probably went back to soon.

Looking back it frightens me what to think might of happened had I not been in hospital at the the time as It could of been months before I saw a consultant neurologist and by then t could of been to late. One thing is certain Mr King, literally saved my life and for that I will always be in his debt.

As sad as it has been this week, that's 20 years he got. Would have been nice to be more obviously.