Default The S25 Contemporary music thread

Here we go again with the charts of the day, this time it's late 80s music and we have a lot of changes going on, a lot of the old guard of the seventies are beginning to fade away as are some of the early 80s acts which were replaced with a new sound from the Stock, Aitken and Waterman studios, and Disco had become House.

I'l begin with the top 30 from the w/e 29th October 1988 which was the week in which my daughter was born.

30 Desire U2
    29 Twist In My Sobriety Tanita Tikaram
    28 Acid Man Jolly Roger
    27 All of Me Sabrina
    26 He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother The Hollies
    25 I Don't Believe In Miracles Sinitta
    24 Riding On A Train The Pasadenas
    23 Secret Garden T'Pau
    22 I'll House You Richie Rich meets the Jungle Brothers
    21 Real Gone Kid Deacon Blue
    20 Nothing Can Divide Us Jason Donovan
    19 Kiss Art of Noise Ft. Tom Jones
    18 She Makes My Day Robert Palmer
    17 Can You Party Royal House
    16 Groovy Kind Of Love Phil Collins
    15 Big Fun Inner City ft. Kevin Sanderson
    14 Burn It Up Beatmaster with PP Arnold
    13 She Wants To Dance With Me Rick Astley
    12 Teardrops Womack and Womack
    11 Stand Up For Your Love Rights Yazz
    10 Girl You Know It's True Milli Vanilli
    9 Never Trust A Stranger Kim Wilde
    8 Harvest For The World The Christians
    7 Wee Rule Wee Papa Girl Rappers
    6 Don't Worry Be Happy Bobby McFerrin
    5 A Little Respect Erasure
    4 We Call It Acieed D. Mob (featuring Gary Haisman)
    3 One Moment In Time Whitney Houston
    2 Je Sais Ne Pas Pourquoi Kylie Minogue
    1 Orinoco Flow Enya

I'd begun to lose interest in the music scene around that time, I had other things needing my attention and a lot of the music scen passed me by, I didn't like the SAW records or the House sound and Acid certainly was not my scene, however, one or two of these records stand out.

Tanita Tikaram was born in Münster, Germany, the daughter of a Malaysian mother, Fatimah Rohani, and an Indo-Fijian father, Pramod Tikaram. Her father's military career meant that she spent her early life in Germany before moving to Basingstoke, Hampshire, England when she was in her early teens.
    Tikaram started singing in nightclubs while she was still a teenager and came to the attention of WEA Records. Her debut album, the outstanding Ancient Heart, produced by Rod Argent and Peter Van Hooke, was released in September 1988 when she was 19 years old. Two singles from this album charted, Twist in My Sobriety and Good Tradition. The album spent 49 weeks on the chart peaking at number 3. a follow up album, The Sweet Keeper, in 1990 also reached number 3, but only spent 7 weeks on the chart. Her chart career lasted until 1998 with varying success across the singles and album charts.

Deacon Blue are a Scottish pop band formed in Glasgow during 1985. Their name was taken from the title of the Steely Dan song "Deacon Blues". The line-up of the band consists of vocalists Ricky Ross and Lorraine McIntosh, keyboard player James Prime and drummer Dougie Vipond.
    The band released their debut album, Raintown on 1 May 1987 which was a chart success. Their seventh album, The Hipsters was released in 2012. As of 2012, Deacon Blue's total album sales stood at six million, with twelve UK Top 40 singles, along with two UK number one albums.

Irish singer Enya began her musical career in 1980, when she briefly joined her family band Clannad before leaving to perform solo. She gained wider recognition for her music in the 1986 BBC series The Celts. Shortly afterwards, her 1988 album Watermark propelled her to further international fame and she became known for her distinctive sound, characterised by voice-layering, folk melodies, synthesised backdrops and ethereal reverberations. She has performed in 10 languages.
    Enya continued to enjoy steady success during the 1990s and 2000s; her 2000 album A Day Without Rain sold 15 million copies, and became the top selling new age album of the 2000s in the US, according to Nielsen SoundScan. She received the world's best-selling female award at the World Music Awards in 2001. She is Ireland's best-selling solo musician. Her record sales stand at more than 75 million worldwide, including over 26.5 million in album sales in the US, making her one of world's best-selling artists of all time. Her work has earned her four Grammy Awards and an Academy Award nomination.

Not much there for me I'm afraid, those House,Acid and SAW records don't sully my collection, perhaps I'd blanded out with Tanita, Deacon Blue, Enya and one or two others, but this period marked a big decline of interst in music for me. I invite comments on these charts, I know they'll mean a lot more to others who have greater fondness for the music of the late 80s.

I was hugely in to House & Hip Hop and Acid & Rap to a lesser degree in the late 80's. But I remember most of that top 40 vividly. A lot of the pop sounds were required when dating & the House & Hip Hop was reserved for myself in the motor.

I bought two of the singles in that line up! And the rest are very familiar indeed.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Ancient Heat was a great album, but her second one (The Sweet something ? ) was so awful I couldn't bear more than 30 seconds of it.

I was at Uni for these, so spent an inordinate amount of time recording the top40 and putting the ones I liked onto tape collections. Huzzah for Robert Palmer , but I hated Deacon Blue with a vengeance.

ETA: I still love Enya though
    Bazinga !

I loved Tanita Tikaram's Twist in my Sobriety and Good Tradition- both were great songs

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm glad you said that Jon, I can't stand Deacon Blue either! If "Dignity" or "Chocolate Girl" are on the wireless, I have to switch over to The Home Service or Radio Normandy.

Several Stock. Aitkin and Waterman acts in there.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Let's take a look at the charts for the w/e 26th November 1988.

30 Stakker Humanoid Humanoid
    29 Twist In My Sobriety Tanita Tikarim
    28 We Call It Acieed D Mob (ft Gary Haisman)
    27 Breathe Life Into Me Mica Paris
    26 Kiss Art of Noise ft Tom Jones
    25 Jack To The Sound Of The Underground Hithouse
    24 Freaks (live) Marillion
    23 Handle With Care Travelling Wilbury's
    22 Let's Stick Together '88 Bryan Ferry
    21 Radio Romance Tiffany
    20 Nathan Jones Bananarama
    19 Say A Little Prayer Bomb The Bass ft Maureen
    18 Take Me To Your Heart Rick Astley
    17 Til I Loved You Barbra Streisand and Don Johnson
    16 Two Heart Phil Collins
    15 She Makes My Day Robert Palmer
    14 Orinoco Flow Enya
    13 1-2-3 Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
    12 Smooth Criminal Michael Jackson
    11 Girl You Know It's True Milli Vanilli
    10 Je Sais Ne Pas Pourquoi Kylie Minogue
    9 He Ain't No Competition Brother Beyond
    8 Real Gone Kid Deacon Blue
    7 Left To My Own Devices Pet Shop Boys
    6 The Clairvoyant Iron Maiden
    5 Stand Up For Your Love Rights Yazz
    4 Twist and Shout Salt N Pepa
    3 Missing You Chris De Burgh
    2 Need You Tonight INXS
    1 The First Time Robin Beck

To be honest most of that chart leaves me blank, I have no recollection of the number 30 sound by Humanoid, seems like some kind of session group?? Likewise Hithouse, Bomb the Bass, Milli Vanilli, The live track from Marillion, Brother Beyond and the Iron Maiden track. The others I have faint recollection of , The Bryan Ferry track is a re-recording of his 1976 hit and the Bananarama single is a cover of the far superior Supremes from 1971. The most notable one there for me would have to be the number one by Robin Beck.
    For some reason I knew Beck's work as a backing singer, she's credited on albums as backing for the likes of Melissa Manchester, Leo Sayer and Chaka Khan. She also recorded radio jingles but only came to the UK public's attention due The First Time being used as a Coca Cola commercial. The song was a one hit wonder in the UK but she enjoyed bigger chart success in Germany and many of her songs have been covered by Kiss, Ace Frehely, Molly Hatchett and Bonnie Tyler to name just a few.

I've dug out the mix tapes I made around this time when I was at Uni, with a view to..'obtaining' mp3 versions of the tracks to make up some CDs. Out of this chart I have 29, 24, 16, 15, 14, 12, 6, 3(!!), 2 and 1.

I'm not an Iron Maiden fan per sae, but I do love Clairvoyant, and Infinite Dreams .
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Out of this chart I have 29, 24, 16, 15, 14, 12, 6, 3(!!), 2 and 1.
    I detested Chris De Burgh after Lady In Red which (I bought on 12") and his shennanigans with his children's nanny despite professing publicly his love for the lady in red. The man is odious, his music bland in the extreme.

Most of that chart is familiar to me, it'd be easier to list what I don't recall.
    Which would be 3,6*,7,17,23,24,27,30.

*Although having listened to this on youtube I do remember it but that's not to say its familiar.