View Poll Results: Which Hartnell Story Would You Most Like To See Back?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marco Polo

6 22.22%
  • The Reign of Terror (2 missing episodes)

0 0%
  • The Crusade (2 missing episodes)

0 0%
  • Galaxy 4 (3 missing episodes)

0 0%
  • Mission To The Unknown

1 3.70%
  • The Myth Makers

3 11.11%
  • The Daleks' Master Plan (9 missing episodes)

8 29.63%
  • The Massacre

2 7.41%
  • The Celestial Toymaker (3 missing episodes)

1 3.70%
  • The Savages

5 18.52%
  • The Smugglers

1 3.70%
  • The Tenth Planet (1 missing episode)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Big Poll: Which Hartnell Missing Story Would You Most Like To See Returned?

We've all heard the rumours. There may or may not be a raft of missing episodes about to come back to the BBC or not. Literally - they were found in a crate on a raft.

For decades now the hunt for the Missing Episodes of Doctor Who has been going on. Check out 'Wiped!' by Richard Molesworth for what is possibly the definitive take on the subject. It's almost heart-breaking that some of the stories existed right through to the early 80's, only to be junked just before their rehabilitation through VHS sales became a possibility.

Many of the missing stories sort-of exist as telesnaps and soundtracks, thanks to the brave efforts of a few dedicated Doctor Who fans in the 60's and 70's.

But which story would you most like to see returned to full glory in the BBC Archives? Vote now!

Sitting down to watch Galaxy 4...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Marco Polo has always arguably been my favourite of the missing episodes, so that gets the vote from me.

However, it wasn't an easy choice - there are plenty amongst those that I'd be very keen to be found! The epic Dalek's Master Plan would be great to see in all its glory, and The Massacre is a definite curiosity given, IIRC, so little of it exist in telesnaps and the like.

On the other hand, stories like The Celestial Toymaker and The Gunfighters would be interesting - just to see if they are as bad as their reputation suggests!
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

It's got to be the Savages, really. I can't think of any other Hartnell-era recon that grabbed me and Whitney in the way that that one did. I hope it's really as good as the soundtrack suggests it should be

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I've gone for The Myth Makers - because it sounds like an absolute hoot. I also want to see Hartnell's face when he gets told that he can be the first to test his 'Paper dart' fired in a catapult over the wall of Troy. Plus it sounds like a great story for the companions too.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

First choice has to be The Massacre, although I'm not sure why. It's an unrelentingly grim slice of history, played absolutely 'for real' as far as you can tell from the audio, and thus not really my sort of Who at all - but there's just something about it, far and above 'just' the opportunity to see Hartnell as the Abbot.

Second choice, The Smugglers - because I'm sure it would be a real romp, and perhaps Hartnell's final finest hour!!

The Myth Makers for me too. Just to see if the blend of action and wit is as great on the screen as it is on audio.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I went DMP - hot Dalek Action, Jean Marsh and Nick Courtney, and Meddling Monk !
    Bazinga !

I'd like to thank The Missing Episodes The First Doctor magazine for swinging my vote to The Savages.
    *types with one hand as the other is touching the wood of the desk
    On the off chance that any of these stories re-appear over the next 12 months, we'll be truly spoilt if any of them are in that list!

(Now Which Troughton Missing Story?, a lot harder.)

Coo this is a difficult one! I hovered over the DMP button for a quite a while ... but finally decided on Marco Polo - it just sounded so adventurous on audio!

It's a hard choice! Obviously DMP is the big one we'd all love to see, but the two which have always appealed most to me over the years are The Savages and The Smugglers. As a boy I always enjoyed those sort of historical adventures, but I've got a feeling that the Smugglers would be the most likely of the two to be a disappointment.

So it's The Savages for me!

Very tricky but went with Masterplan just for episode 12. Marco Polo and the Myth Makers in close second place because they seem like very classy stories.

Another vote for DMP.

Because it's Daleks. Because it's 9 whole episodes back. Because Episode 12 is a corker. Because of Nick Courtney. And because I fancy Sara Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by cullsoft View Post

On the other hand, stories like The Celestial Toymaker and The Gunfighters would be interesting - just to see if they are as bad as their reputation suggests!
    Ashley, The Gunfighters does exist in full and is on DVD (unless you were thinking of something else and typed it by mistake?). Personally, I rather like it!

I've voted for DMP for all the reasons outlined above, other than the fact I don't fancy Sara (sorry Jean!). Wouldn't be too upset mind if it was 8 episodes back and not The Feast of Steven!

Wouldn't be too upset mind if it was 8 episodes back and not The Feast of Steven!
    According to Wiped!, if there's one episode that we're never ever going to see it's The Feast of Steven. No overseas sales whatsoever for that one, so it's as lost as they get!

I'd have to go for either Savages or Smugglers with DMP close behind.

OK, for the vote I'll plump for Smugglers.

I forgot to mention earlier that Marco Polo was very close behind for me - I loved listening to it when the audio CD came out, and had no trouble following it, which was not the case with the otherwise highly regarded Massacre and Myth Makers.

This is incredibly difficult for me as I have vague memories of many of these from my childhood (drags ancient body to keyboard). In the end the vote went to DMP. But I would be glad to see any of them back, just to see more of Bill Hartnell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Ashley, The Gunfighters does exist in full and is on DVD (unless you were thinking of something else and typed it by mistake?). Personally, I rather like it!
    My bad - I think that was just another of my misremembering blunders over which episodes are missing (and/or have been found recently)!

Sadly, I'm one of those who get disuaded from it because of The Ballad of The Last Chance Salloon...
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

The Ballad is great fun, always brings a smile to my face!

Someone should sing it at the November meet up.

He'll, EVERYONE should sing it at the November meet up :-:

Marco Polo for me, followed by The Massacre. After that probably DMP and G4.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It was impossible to vote on this - I just couldn't make up my mind between The Smugglers, The Massacre, The Myth Makers, The Crusade ... heavens, even The Daleks' Master Plan and Marco Polo (as obvious as those choices are). Hopefully it won't be just one, so we'll all be very happy.

Incidentally, no similar poll for Patrick Troughton?

There will be shortly!

Ah...

I would love to see something like Marco Polo, The Crusade or The Daleks Master Plan returned, but I still think the next returned episode will be from The Savages...