Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well I've enjoyed your trawl through all the old spin-off tat. You deserve a medal for getting through it all!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Thanks!
    I'll consider myself a Who Olympian now then. Although the 'reviews' got slightly shorter towards the end, as i gradually became more worn down by it all.
    Last edited by Wayne; 5th Apr 2007 at 12:56 PM.

I agree with you Wayne that most of these are not for regular repeated viewing, but a few are entertaining enough. I love Airzone, the later Stranger stories and Auton. I occasionally watch some of the really bad ones for a laugh, Mindgame, More than a Messiah and if I ever get a copy of Lust in Space, it will probably be added to the list!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President View Post
    I agree with you Wayne that most of these are not for regular repeated viewing, but a few are entertaining enough. I love Airzone, the later Stranger stories and Auton. I occasionally watch some of the really bad ones for a laugh, Mindgame, More than a Messiah and if I ever get a copy of Lust in Space, it will probably be added to the list!
    Well it's all thanks to you that i've been able to watch these in the first place!

You basatard!

Wayne, I'm putting them in the post for you. I just don't have the time or inclination to do anything else.

At least this way you won't have to ebay them afterwards, just return to sender.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I just don't have the time or inclination to do anything else.
    Totally understandable, especially given your technical problems other things that have been going off in your life. I do appreciate it though, & i'll refund your postage costs, because sending vids will be expensive.
    At least if i don't like them, i'll only have myself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Well it's all thanks to you that i've been able to watch these in the first place!

You basatard!
    I can blame you for Deamos Rising though! Love you too!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wayne's trawl through the spin-offs will hopefully resume by the weekend.

Wayne Guest

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Wayne's trawl through the spin-offs will hopefully resume by the weekend.
    I'm only just getting round to the ones you sent me.
    I watched 'Lust In Space' this morning. It's mildly amusing, but i was disappointed that Sophie wasn't wearing the outfit on the video cover!

Pip Madeley Guest

The best moment in the whole thing is JNT sitting in his kitchen eating toast, talking to someone on the phone:

"Yes okay Lionel, I mean, I'll do the after-dinner speech, I'm quite willing to do that... but does it have to be about panto? ... yes, and I'll do the toast. Make sure there's plenty of butter on it, eh!" (painfully forced Sid James-esque laughter) "Byee!"

Made me laugh out loud. God bless him.

The second best bit is with Terrance Dicks typing the opening to his latest novel!

And the TARDIS matewialised with it's customawy wheezing and gwoaning sound

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

His typing is quite something - as Andre Previn once said, he's hitting all the wrong notes!

Wayne Guest

The Devil of Winterborne

Just watched this. It's back to the dreay stuff now.
    Actually, this wasn't too bad. Some bits of it were quite spooky, & Peter Davison & Louise Jameson put it convincing performances. I'm still not entirey convinced by Caroline John, though. She always was a tad rubbish, if you ask me.
    It's mighty strange seeing Reece Shearmith & Mark Gatiss together as well. I kept expecting them to go into a 'League of Gentlemen' sketch at any moment. And those fans who moan about RTD's so called 'Gay Agenda' would love this, wouldn't they? I swear one of those young lads doing the snogging is one supporting actors from 'The Fast Show' as well.
    Anyway, Still a bit on the dull side to be honest, but not a bad story from Gatiss. It was just a bit long winded for a 2 parter. And what a rip-off releasing it on 2 different videos that are only about 40mins long, each!
    I'll be carrying on tomorrow with 'Unnatural Selection'.

I quite liked the Winterborne stories. I thought they had a bit more depth and creepiness to the stories that a lot of the BBV's failed to match. Too often, the stories tried to be too clever, and you ended feeling 'what was that all about' by the end of it, whereas I never felt that with either of the Winterborne tales.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Too often, the stories tried to be too clever, and you ended feeling 'what was that all about' by the end of it, whereas I never felt that with either of the Winterborne tales.
    I'd agree with that, for sure. It was definitely one of the better ones in comparison with many others on this thread, but it suffered from being a bit overlong, IMO. It felt a bit stretched over the 80mins in total. 50 or 60mins would've been about right.

Wayne Guest

I'll be carrying on tomorrow with 'Unnatural Selection'.

I decided to push on & give this a go tonight.
    I didn't like it much. (surprise, surprise) This one seemed to lack the suspense that the previous story had, & i found rather talky & slow. I got the impression that they'd tried to make up for these shortcomings by injecting a fair amount of gory content into the procedings, but it all just seemed a bit out of place, somehow......
    I usually quite enjoy stuff that gets a bit grim, but this just didn't work for me, & even Gatiss didn't really convince as the bad guy.......
    Just the 'Ghost of Winterborne' sequel left now, & then i'm all done here. I might watch it before the night's out, or i may leave it 'til tomorrow. We'll see.

Are the Winterbourne stories the ones with Liz Shaw smoking a pipe? I've got one (the second I think) but I haven't watched it since brother bought it for my birthday back in about 95/96.

Yep, that's the ones.

Wayne Guest

Just the 'Ghosts of Winterborne' sequel left now, & then i'm all done here. I might watch it before the night's out,

I watched it, & it's actually not bad! Definitely amongst the best of all the spinoffs on this thread, & better than 'The Devil of Winterborne', IMO. Again, it's got that spooky atmosphere going for it, & i thought Peter Davison was really good, especially at the end when he was transformed. I actually got quite into this one, which was nice as it's the last one of the thread.
    I still think Liz Shaw looks silly smoking a pipe, though!
    Thanks for these last few spinoffs, to Tim who kindly sent me no less than 5 vids to watch, in the post.

They obviously thought giving Liz a pipe would be great character development for Caroline John.

That's the one I've got, I'm sure of it - with whatsername as the headmistress playing her own twin sister. What were they thinking?!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    That's the one I've got, I'm sure of it - with whatsername as the headmistress playing her own twin sister. What were they thinking?!
    She probably worked cheap.

Without trawling all through the thread, have you watched Cyberon, Wayne?

Wayne Guest

No, I want to, but i've been unable to get hold of it.

My friend Steve has got it, I'll see what I can do. Is there anything else you haven't seen yet?