Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many episodes are back?

So, from the news on the BBC website today we know that there are a number of episodes back now... but how many is that number? Shall we have a bit of a sweepstake, just for fun and see who can guess closest to the actual figure.

I'm going to randomly guess 51.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What I've been reading on Gallifrey Base is that 90-odd are back, but that they shall be announcing 9 this week, with a further 7 before the convention, and then the rest over the span of a year-or-so...

So, I think it depends on what we're being asked. How many will they be announcing this week? I'm going to go with conventional wisdom and say 9. How many in total? I'm going to guess a grand total of 96 (everything but Mission to the Unknown and the remaining 9 episodes of DMP).

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I'm going to tactically undercut Ant and say 95. :P
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I still think 90 is wildly optimistic and I'm going to guess 23.

I'd love for it to be 96, but fear it may turn out to be 96 episodes found, the majority of which were not missing, but several which were. Always a cynic, me.

I'm going to go with 17 overall, announced over the next few months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think it will be in the thirties - 37 to be precise.

Are those two episodes of The Ice Warriors likely to be back? They animated them this year... so maybe take those into account!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Given how this past few days have gone, I think it would be very difficult now for the BBC to announce some, while leaving others 'to be announced later'. Already, what with the conflicting news reports, and the Radio Times website (which I know isn't officially linked to the BBC itself, but is certainly not some random old fanboy site), this has been a little bit of a mess. I may be wrong though, but I think Moffat at least would have the sense to realise that it's really going to take the shine off the forthcoming special if we're all going to be sat around wondering what the next announced batch of old episodes will be.

Again, in terms of this being a bit of a mess, you would sort of think that the BBC would have made a big effort to quash such large numbers as are being bandied about, because inevitably if somebody announces on Thursday that they've found part 2 of The Savages, and the missing two episodes of The Ice Warriors, we're all probably going to feel a bit disappointed. It's like the BBC have no awareness of PR at all!!

But that said, I'm going to take the cautious view and assume that it just is a genuine mess, the BBC haven't even thought about the relative excitement of 96 and 3 episodes turning up, and so I'm going to plump for...

And if they really are going to keep drip-feeding announcements over the course of a year then they can f**k off frankly. Already they're totally ballsing things up with pre-announcements of delayed announcements of announcements. They have never, ever, ever done this in the past with previous find and it's just.... stupid. Just tell us what's been found. Worry about how and when it will be released later, it's a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post

And if they really are going to keep drip-feeding announcements over the course of a year then they can f**k off frankly. Already they're totally ballsing things up with pre-announcements of delayed announcements of announcements. They have never, ever, ever done this in the past with previous find and it's just.... stupid. Just tell us what's been found. Worry about how and when it will be released later, it's a separate issue.
    Can you imagine if the police took the BBC approach when dealing with kidnap and missing persons cases?!

I'm going for 8.

So there. I hope it's ten times that. But I'll stick at 8 please Mr Dineage.

I'm gonna go for 16 based on the MEW rumour.

7 from Marco
    5 from Enemy
    4 from Web

With Marco held back from iTunes/DVD so they can screen it on BBC 4.

I'm going for 12 now with the number rising to 42 by the end of next year.

But to cover my bum I'll say we'll get between 1 & 105...well even I'm not daft enough to say we'll get Feast of Steven back.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    What I've been reading on Gallifrey Base is that 90-odd are back, but that they shall be announcing 9 this week, with a further 7 before the convention, and then the rest over the span of a year-or-so...
    You can see how easy this can all go out of proportion - someone might have found 90 episodes, but comparing them with the missing list, only 5 of which we don't already have.

TBH news that just one episode has been found would be amazing if not for the hype and fanfare which has gone on around all this. The fact that 2 were found with very little fanfare, and now there's a lot of PR because they've found something - it makes you optimistic it's going to be a more than 2. For me, my main hope is that there is "at least one complete story" in amongst what they've got.

I feel I'm being over-optimistic hoping for 12 - but would <3 to be proven wrong.

One poigniant piece to this - was reading Larrys comments on the speculation from months ago. If there is a major release, and having spoken to him about them, I'll be getting a little extra excited on his behalf.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Well it is anniversary year.

After all, that's the Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

Perhaps it's 90 missing episodes of other things as well like Dad's Army, Morecombe and Wise etc.

and 60s TOTP would be nice too :-)

Can I have a P please Bob? Oops sorry, wrong quiz.

I'll be very surprised if it's double figures as much as I would love to be wrong. So, as my glass is rarely half full, I'll err on a cautious 7 episodes.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    and 60s TOTP would be nice too :-)
    Yes, it would be great, but if they're introduced by Saville we'll never see them.

As for missing Who turning up, I'd guess that after the initial nine have been announced there's another 23 or so to come later.

I've just met a friend who says he's heard 102 episodes have been found but he says he thinks that's far-fetched. Would be nice if it was true as it would leave 4 missing.

6 - all the others will be Arabic copies which have been censored to remove all scenes containing messrs Hartnell and Troughton
    Bazinga !

I'll try sweet 16!

The fact they're doing this press conference thing tomorrow must mean there's more than just a couple, surely?! I do wish they'd just announce everything tomorrow, not just drip-feed things. Let's just have all the uncertainty out of the way!

I was thinking similar, Jonno. It must be at least a whole story returned for a press conference I'd have thought.
    Just about 24 hours to go.