Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Palmer, Harry Palmer...

I haven't seen the Harry Pamer movies for years so I was looking forward to revisting them...I thought I'd just start a thread for some spy thrillers in particular the Harry Palmer trilogy of the 60s. (I'm ignoring the 90's versions which should have been strangled at birth)

The Ipcress File (1965)

"A number of leading Western scientists have been kidnapped only to reappear a fews days later. Unfortunately, each scientist has been brain washed and is now completely useless. The British send their agent, Harry Palmer, to investigate. Palmer is surprised to be selected for such a mission (considering his past) and believes he has been chosen because he is expendable."

This is one of my all time favourite movies. I loved it the first time I saw it towards the end of the 70s and it's been great to see it nicely cleaned up in the widescreen format. There's just so many great things about this movie to say. It's one of those movies that leaves me buzzing afterwards.

First and foremost has got to be it's charismatic leading man, Michael Caine, still fairly new to the cinema just after the stunning film Zulu the previous year and this cemented his position as a star. This was still in the days when every other movie Michael made was fantastic. Pity about his later career, he's made many more great ones but equally bad ones too sadly.

So much comes together so well in this one, the opening sequences are classic with that fabulous music and making a cup of coffee has never looked so cool - the score is another John Barry triumph and throughout the film adds so much creating fabulous moods and making it an even more compelling watch.

The cinematography is excellent too - very stylishly shot as if from an observers standpoint.

The script is sharp and witty and using the excellent casting of Nigel Green and Guy Doleman is a great combination. Nigel Green often gives good supporting performances in old movies I've seen such as Torbruk and of course Zulu. Guy Doleman I can only remember in these Palmer movies but I've always loved his dry character in these. I did see him in one episode of Strange Report now that I think about it.

The characters in the movie are developed quite nicely I think giving it extra depth and viewer involvement. All in all it has a much more down to earth and more realistic feel than the Bonds. It doesn't have the fabulous setting of the 60's Bonds and the lavish budgets but it has it's own very unique style which sets it apart in a class of it's own.

A winning combination

This is a movie I'd wholeheartedly give 10/10 for entertainment value.

Anyone else love this movie?

Wayne Guest

I think i've seen all of them at some point. I remember this one & 'Billion Dollar Brain'. What's the other one called?
    They're ok, but just not really my bag. I find 'em watchable in a disposable kind of way, but that's as far as it goes. Not a patch on the better Bond movies, IMO.

The second one is "Funeral in Berlin", I'll be watching that within the next week. Clearly I love the Bonds too but these were a great alternative.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The second one is "Funeral in Berlin".
    Hmmm....... I've definitely seen the other two, but that doesn't ring a bell.
    Never mind, I'll live.

Well here's the movie poster Wayne I'm sure you're secretly desperate to see it

Pip Madeley Guest

The bit in the bottom left corner looks like two blind men doing kung-fu.

I like the sexy leg with the gun in the red coffin myself

Pip Madeley Guest

I like this one:

That central image is bloody filthy!

Well it was an "X" certificate

"The Ipcress file" is my favourite. Produced by Harry Saltzman don't you know, with title sequences designed by Maurice Binder - both of Bond fame.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Some other touches I like in the film are:

The parkbench I think it was "T48". Ever since I saw the movie as a teenager I've always casually looked to see if a bench has a specific number imagining clandestine meetings

The excellent tips on how to have an air of authority and retain poise. If I had an office I quite fancy staring out the window as someone enters and ask them with disdain to "close the door"

The casual references to good food and music or even just button mushrooms.

I've never seen the film, but I like the John Barry theme for it, if that helps. Otherwise just pretend that I'm not here.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Great to get your input Si - the music in itself is a reason to watch it

The Ipcress File is an excellent film. I hadn't given it a thought for years though, until now...I'll have to go up into the loft now and dig out the video! It's certainly been added to my list of films to watch again over the coming months.

Years ago when this film was a regular on tv, there was a Jon Voight thriller with a similar name (The Odessa File) which was regularly shown as well. This was another film which I used to enjoy, but I always seemed to get the two films mixed up. I never knew which one was coming on until it started!

Funeral In Berlin was another good film, but not quite as good as Ipcress iirc, it's been a long time since I've seen this one. Never seen Billion Dollar Brain, though. I don't know if I'm missing out on something here or not!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Years ago when this film was a regular on tv, there was a Jon Voight thriller with a similar name (The Odessa File) which was regularly shown as well. This was another film which I used to enjoy, but I always seemed to get the two films mixed up. I never knew which one was coming on until it started!
    My copy of the Odessa File turned up in the post today - I'm sure it'll be tammtastic!

Oh and I plan giving my own feedback on Funeral in Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain on here plus also The Quiller Memorandum for good measure.

Funeral in Berlin (1966)

"Colonel Stok, a Soviet intelligence officer responsible for security at the Berlin Wall, appears to want to defect but the evidence is contradictory. Stok wants the British to handle his defection and asks for one of their agents, Harry Palmer, to smuggle him out of East Germany."

Hugh Burden "Channing of Spearhead from Space" is embroiled in the plot in this one minus toupe. Guy Doleman is back and the interaction between Doleman and Caine is excellent once again.

Overall the script is excellent but it's a complex plot so you have to watch closely otherwise you lose it!

The movie has a real gritty feel to it - all far more realistic than the Bonds and with better scripting.

The photography and music again are of a good standard.

I think I'd give this 9/10. A very good follow up as a sequel to The Ipcress File and certainly an excellent spy movie.

Billion Dollar Brain (1967)

"At the start of the picture, Palmer has left British Intelligence, and is working as a private detective. However, it isn't long before his past catches up with him. Palmer is hired to take a mysterious flask to one Dr.Kaaana in Helsinki. The flask contains 'eggs' full of deadly viruses. An fanatical right-wing organisation known as 'Crusade For Freedom' intends starting an uprising in Latvia as a prelude to a mass overthrowing of Communism. Agents get their orders from a super-computer known as 'The Brain'. The man behind the crusade is 'General Midwinter', multi-millionaire, and a fruitcake of the highest order. One of his own men, Leo Newbigen (Karl Malden) has reprogrammed 'The Brain' with false information, enabling him to pocket the funds intended for the 'rebels'."

Again great casting on this one, Guy Doleman is back as the supercilious Colonel Ross. The scene where he spills the cereal and refuses to move his feet while Palmer sweeps them up is priceless. Also nice to see Col.Stok (Oscar Homolka) who first appeared in FIB make a return.

While Harry started off as a more realistic spy by this movie he's in direct competition with Bond. Is this a good thing? Perhaps not but it still makes for a fun movie!

The score again is great and the location shooting in Finland looks pretty amazing with plenty of snow and ice.

I'd give this one 8/10

All in all then a great trilogy of films!

Keeping with non bond spy movies on this thread I plan reporting back on The Odessa File and The Quiller Memorandum on here within the next couple of weeks.

Wayne Guest

The Odessa File
    Have you seen it before?
    I taped it off Channel 5 one afternoon a couple of years ago, mainly to checkout Mary Tamm's part in the procedings. I had high hopes as it was written by Frederick Forsyth, who wrote 'The Day of the Jackal', which is really good.
    But unfortunately i found this one more than a little dull.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Have you seen it before?
    I taped it off Channel 5 one afternoon a couple of years ago, mainly to checkout Mary Tamm's part in the procedings. I had high hopes as it was written by Frederick Forsyth, who wrote 'The Day of the Jackal', which is really good.
    No I can't recall it Wayne but I know you're not so ethusastic about this kind of movie so we'll see. Clearly the Tamm one wasn't enough to lift it for you.

Wayne Guest

No I can't recall it Wayne but I know you're not so ethusastic about this kind of movie
    Maybe not, but i'd recommend 'The Day of the Jackal' for lovers of this type of movie, if you've not seen it. Mind you, the book is even better!

Just some more Harry Palmer pics

Col Stok from Billion Dollar Brain:

And below - how many reasons do you need to watch Funeral in Berlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Have you seen it before?
    I used to love these 2 films (Odessa & Jackal) when I was younger. It's been years since I've seen them, though. And speaking of Mary Tamm and spy thrillers, wasn't she in a late 70s/early 80s tv adaptation of a Desmond Bagley novel? I forget the name of it, but it was a 3-episode story also starring Malcolm Stoddard (I think that was his name!) and was possibly set partly in Iceland. It was an excellent serial, and I've a sneaky suspicion that there was also a follow-up filmed as well.

A little bit of investigation is needed here, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    And speaking of Mary Tamm and spy thrillers, wasn't she in a late 70s/early 80s tv adaptation of a Desmond Bagley novel? I forget the name of it, but it was a 3-episode story also starring Malcolm Stoddard (I think that was his name!) and was possibly set partly in Iceland. It was an excellent serial, and I've a sneaky suspicion that there was also a follow-up filmed as well.

A little bit of investigation is needed here, I think!
    That would have been The Treachery Game (1981)would it not? Playing the character Jill Fraser which she played the year before in The Assassination Run (1980).

It seems that my memory has been playing tricks on me! I wasn't far wrong, though, as you'll see here. The Desmond Bagley novel (set in Iceland) which was filmed by BBC Scotland in 1979 was Running Blind, but this didn't star the Tamm. However the following year, BBC Scotland produced another serial in the same style (written by the same writer who had adapted Bagley's novel the previous year) called The Assination Run...this was the serial I remembered Tamm starring in. It also spawned a sequel, The Treachery Game. Apart from vague memories of 3 excellent serials, nowadays these all seem to be pretty much forgotten. Roll on a dvd release for all three!

Wayne Guest

I bet she doesn't look as good as she did in 'Tales That Witness Madness'.
    That's definitely one for Tamm fans to check out.
    It's never had an official dvd release yet, but i've got a good quality video transfer. PM me if you wanna 'borrow' it.