Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 50th Anniversary watching

I presume all of us are planning to watch some Who over the anniversary weekend... has anyone planned what they are going to watch?

I've watched the entire classic series this year (only season 26 left to go) apart from 3 I didn't have on DVD at the time, which are The Tenth Planet, Inferno and Terror of the Zygons, which seems like as good a line up as any so I'm saving those. I'll also be (I suspect) one of many watching An Unearthly Child (the episode) at 5.15 on 23/11, plus some of the era-encompassing documentaries from the DVDs.

So what about you?

Excellent choices... I've been watching a random hodge podge of Doctor Who stories all year, mainly from the classic series. Such epics as Silver Nemesis, The Nightmare of Eden, Frontier In Space... Genesis of The Daleks - wonderful stuff.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm sure The Five Doctors will be in the mix somewhere.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'll be watching The Two Doctors and The Three Doctors

Can't you just call it The Five Doctors like everyone else?

Jonno knows how many beans make five!

If I do all three it'll be The Ten Doctors, but hold on - Doctor Two is repeated three times....

Ouch my brain is hurting now

Unless I haven't got around to watching Zygons & Tenth Planet on dvd when I get back from Aus next week; The only thing I plan to watch is An Adventure In Space and Time. And not necessarily on the day.

C'mon, watch The Day of The Doctor! Punish yourself
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    C'mon, watch The Day of The Doctor! Punish yourself
    I can't take anymore!

3 Docs Ep 1. When this was shown as part of the "Five Faces" season, I taped the audio of this episode, therefore I know the sound better than the pictures! Apart from the wibbly wobbly Gel guards (they sounded great though!) the episode was a good 'un.

Been watching one episode from each of the Doctors over the past few days. I haven't actually watched much of the show up till now. I feel that up till now I haven't really celebrated the anniversary.

Which ones have you chosen so far, and did you enjoy them?

3D Part 2 - ah the jelly babies!

Poor old Brig, 2nd Doc & Benton spent most of their time in the TARDIS - which is fine by me. Every scene with Nick C is very watchable - particularly his reaction to seeing the 2nd Doctor again and the inside of the TARDIS. "So THIS is what you've been doing with UNIT funding!"

2 eps in, and we've not seen Omega's front side yet. We've barely glimpsed his backside :-)

Well I choose the Time Meddler, the Mind Robber, The Curse of Peladon, The Brain of Morbius, Kinda, Attack of the Cybermen, Survival, the TV Movie Dalek, Human Nature and The Doctor's wife, I enjoyed most of them except Curse and the TV movie.

I've started watching one story from each Doctor with William and Tabby. I've chosen some odd choices but thats mostly because they're the dvds in my collection that I haven't watched yet.
    We started with a 1st Doctor story :The Rescue. Tabby refused to watch it because it was black and white and because the 1st Doctor is boring so it was just me and William. He sat with me the whole time and enjoyed it. He thought Koquillon looked liked a man in suit which he was! And best of all when the credits came up he got excited because there wasn't just one but two Williams in the cast! He found Hartnell quite funny as well which was good.
    Next up will be Tomb of the Cybermen which I'm trying to persuade Tabby to watch by telling her that Troughton is just like Matt Smith. I don't think she's buying it!

Forgot to say that the scores for these will be measured in Fidget Factor of 0 to 5 which 5 being the most fidgety ie. the worst score.
    So for The Rescue:
    William Fidget Factor: 1
    Tabby Fidget Factor: 5+ (not even in the room!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    If I do all three it'll be The Ten Doctors, but hold on - Doctor Two is repeated three times....
    Which will surely give you The Twelve Doctors! Sorted!

I usually watch my Who of a Saturday morning, with the dogs, in my dressing gown - nice lazy breakfast before the weekend starts. This coming Saturday will hopefully be the last two episodes of The Daemons... after that, I've been giving the 23rd some thought and I think I'm just going to watch my favourite story in one go - so the plan is Castrovalva in the morning, and The Day of the Doctor in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Forgot to say that the scores for these will be measured in Fidget Factor of 0 to 5 which 5 being the most fidgety ie. the worst score.
    So for The Rescue:
    William Fidget Factor: 1
    Tabby Fidget Factor: 5+ (not even in the room!)

Good luck, Paul! Tabby really sounds as if she's going to take a bit of convincing...if you'd thought of it sooner, you could have bribed her with a trip to the cinema to watch the anniversary episode on the big screen!

Am I the only one who isn't doing anything special to celebrate the series anniversary? (apart from treating my daughter to a trip to the cinema as a birthday treat ) I just feel as if all the episodes are available to watch any time I want just as they have been for years, and that to make an effort to specifically watch some of them again at the moment just because it's the anniversary month feels a bit forced, if you know what I mean. I'd rather just watch them when I want to because I'm actually in the mood for them!

Bah Humbug!!! I feel just like Scrooge at Christmas now...

I've just got to say that I'm enjoying reading about all your efforts and plans, though! And looking forward to hearing about them at the PS Meet in a few weeks time

Watch out, Wallis, here's Ebenezer Smith!

That's perfectly understandable, though. Personally, after selling all my old Who over the last few years, I thought the anniversary week (and it being close to pay day, too) would be the ideal time to start collecting them again. So, providing I can get 'The Beginning' box set in time, I'm going to start - wait for it... - watching the whole series.......

Why not Dave. After all, that's how it all started...

I'm up to Planet of the Ood, so I'm definitely not going to make it by 23/11!

So I'm going to skip forward to Turn Left, then skip all of series 5 after The Eleventh Hour, as I've rewatched series 4/5 relatively recently. Haven't seen any of the specials / series 6-7 since transmission though.

Three Docs Pt 3

I love the blobby, blistered sets of Omega's hidey-hole, as well as the tinkly music to accompany those scenes.

However, minus several gazillion points for Director Lennie Mayne for allowing a shot directly looking into the open Police Box, where all and sundry can see it's just a prop. If ever a scene needed some CGI......