Default Your Favourite TV Cartoon.

I was just catching up on Only Connect & one of the questions was based on the ACME products that Wile E. Coyote uses. And this got me thinking.

I absolutely love Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner cartoons, in fact I'd go so far as to say they're my favourite with may be Buggs Bunny & Daffy Duck next.

But what are your favourite cartoons? Are you a fan of cartoons that were new when you were a kid, Thunders Cats, He Man etc, or like me do you love those that have been around for 50+ years but are still funny as heck?

It's list time!!!

I've always hated Woody Woodpecker. But it wasn't always such...

I used to enjoy him getting one over the humans, but one episode a creature came along that was lost and didn't know what was going on. And Woody bullied the hell out of him! So yeah, Woody can be wiped out.
    And Bugs Bunny was great, but even better when paired up with Daffy Duck. Best partnership ever!

I always enjoyed Looney Tunes with Daffy, Bugs, Wil E. Coyote & Road Runner etc. But I don't think you can get better than the Fred Quimby produced Tom & Jerry.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Aye you can't get much better than Quimby Tom & Jerry!

But what about Hanna Barbera? Did I even spell that right?

My favourite was Snagglepuss. Such a fey, theatrical character - a pink tiger even!!!! Exit stage left.

Tom & Jerry definitely - I've got those on DVD although the quality definitely deteriorated later on. Also Scooby Doo Where Are You? - got the first season of that on DVD but still sealed! Was also very fond of Wacky Races- I ought to get that really.

And totally left field - Dungeons & Dragons which must be around its 30th anniversary now. I've got that on DVD and it still stands up well.

I really, really loved The Pink Panther cartoons. The Pink-Blueprint is still one of the funniest things I have ever watched.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I liked the Pink Panther too. I got the Peter Sellers movie box set & it came with a disc of the cartoons.

I would argue that Wile E Coyote/Road Runner are not only the best cartoon shorts ever, they are amongst some of the best silent movie comedies ever. (I assume many PSers have seen the 'live action' version of Kurt Douglas vs Arnie in Cactus Jack)

Next best shorts for me are probably Sylvester and Tweetie Pie (love Sylvester's voice), then Bugs vs Elmer Fudd or Bugs vs Yosemite Sam. Was never much of a fan of Daffy Duck though

Longer series types - loved Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Wacky Races, Catch the Pigeon, the Hair Bear Bunch (great theme tune)

Merchandise tie ins - Real Ghostbusters, D&D, Thundercats. Never really liked He-man coz Orco was just an annoying t*t. Ninja, sorry Hero Turtles was a bit too rad.
    Bazinga !

Tom & Jerry definitely - I've got those on DVD although the quality definitely deteriorated later on.
    Oh yes, by the time you get to Tom & Jerry Kids the show had gone off the rails, across the field and right down the canyon.

To my memory there were the 'Early Classic' Tom & Jerrys, then you get the 'Main' Tom & Jerrys before you move into the more angular, almost art deco style stuff. Well that's how I remember it anyway!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    (I assume many PSers have seen the 'live action' version of Kurt Douglas vs Arnie in Cactus Jack)
    And there was I thinking my family and I were the only people who'd ever seen it! (PS "Kurt" Douglas?)

Early Tom & Jerry and 1950s Chuck Jones Bugs and Daffy for me.

For me it depends where you draw the line between 'Cartoon' and 'Animated Series'. For the latter, I would certainly choose Futurama which has been magnificent over the years and given us many catchphrases we could use, if only we'd invented the Finglonger.

But in terms of actual old-school children's cartoons, it's a lot harder for me to say. I watched and digested so many over the years and most of them are totally forgettable. There was the Transformers Cartoon that I used to love but was clearly atrocious; then there were other toy tie-ins such as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and Action Force.

I also remember a 1960's style Batman cartoon that nobody ever talks about. Maybe I should have a dig into this and see what I can find.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Apart from the comedy characters of Warner Bros & HB, I also LOVED The Space Sentinels, Battle of the Planets and Marine Boy. Oh and the original Spider-Man too!

And Godzilla

And Godzoooooooooky

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    For me it depends where you draw the line between 'Cartoon' and 'Animated Series'.
    Same here, and for me the latter is South Park without a doubt. A very good show for it's first three years, which then stepped up several notches to become something so totally unique. Covering subjects that no-one else dares to, it consistently pushes barriers, and seems to be the only satirical show left on tv worth it's salt.

For the traditional, I'd probably go for Pink Panther as well, or Tom & Jerry or Roadrunner.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Well my favourite animated series would be Family Guy. South Park is OK but sometimes the humour can be a bit sick.

For series, Futurama. For Characters, Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

Nyder, I've recently acquired the whole run of Godzilla/Godzooky. Drop me a message.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

I also remember a 1960's style Batman cartoon that nobody ever talks about.
    Do you mean the "Dinner Dinner Dinner Dinner, Batmaaaaan!" version?!

I think Adam West and Burt Ward came back and did the voices, didn't they?

There were others I loved a child too- Space Sentinels, Captain Caveman (Zowie Cavie!), Battle OF THE PLANETS (of course- it was just soooooo exciting) and I was a big fan of Dick Dastardly and Mutley in both Stop The Pigeon and Wacky Races, speaking of which i aodred The Perils of Penelope Pitstop too.

And the Star Trek cartoon was rather wonderful.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.