Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Number 49:
    Survival (1989)

A quiet day in Perivale. You can see why Ace was so desperate to escape from the drudgery of suburbia we see here. I remember days like this from when I was a teenager in the 80s- nothing to do, nowhere to do nothing. It's very accurately portrayed. I like the way that even the Doctor is bored of it after a few minutes, until he finds a mystery to sort out!

Sophie is great in this episode. She's the centre of it all- it's her friends that are missing and I like the way she's embarrassed by the Doctor once she's back on her own territory. Her silent, mouthed "Wow!" when first seeing a Cheetah person is also very good. Love the whole playground sequence in fact- nicely directed by Alan Waring.

Oh and isn't the Master watching young boys at play and then " No sport for you here" rather sinister?

Right then, time for the last one... and it's also the first...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The first one you ever saw?

The anticipation is mounting!

Number 50:
    Destiny of the Daleks (1979)

in September 1979, I sat down with my Mum to watch this episode. Something about it must have really appealed to me, because all these years I'm still here, still watching this silly but wonderful show.

I'd love to know what I thought about it on that day, because I can't really remember any more, all i know is that I was hooked almost straight away.

What we've got is a very Terry Nation pt one- The Doctor and Romana land something odd, go and explore, are cut off from the TARDIS and are then separated from each other, before Romana is menaced by the Daleks who turn up in time for the cliffhanger. It's good stuff. The location footage is expertly filmed, with some nice hand held shots evident. A lot of this episode is just Tom and Lalla and they're chemistry is very clear here. Despite being told Tom isn't taking this seriously, he's surprisingly good in this episode. There's not too much silliness in evidence- that comes a little later in the story.

There's not much music in this one, so when the spangly score kicks in, it really adds to the atmosphere.

Well done on reaching 50 Simon! You look far too young :-) I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your 1st episode reviews. Something tells me you rather enjoyed it too!

I did. It was an interesting way to celebrate the show. I'm not sure I've found the secret formula, but for how to succeed at writing a part one of Doctor Who, but I do know there's something wonderful about those first 25 or 45 minutes of a longer story that are intriguing, beguiling and very hard to get wrong. Even poor stories can get off to a great start and fall apart later.

Well done, Si. It's been fun going through this with you (all be it by reading your reviews) & I hope you really enjoyed this unusual way of watching Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Well done on reaching 50 Simon! You look far too young :-)
    So what are you trying to say about those of us who look like Keith Richards' granddad? eh?

It's been a great thread Si, fun to read your reviews and certainly a different way of viewing the programme.

Are you considering doing a "50 final parts" any time soon?!

I did think I should follow it up with 50 Part 2s!