View Poll Results: How Would You Rate The 1963-1970 TARDIS Console?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Hello Sexy

2 40.00%
  • 4 - Bigger on the Inside

1 20.00%
  • 3 - Once Everything's Runnin'

2 40.00%
  • 2 - What a botch-up!

0 0%
  • 1 - Close The Doors Please, Susan.

0 0%

Default Rate My Console - 1963-1970

In the first of our series looking at how the TARDIS console has developed over the years, we go back to the original you might say.

Standing alone, complete with silver floor plates.

Knobs, dials, switches, levers... which to use first?

Ian, Barbara and Susan look on in horror at the total lack of ergonomics in the console design. The Doctor is putting his back right out!

This version of the console was designed by Peter Brachacki and was in use from the start of the show with minor additions until 1970, when it underwent major refurbishment.

I always find the oddest thing about this console is that it's green. For filming in black and white, props were often painted off-colour because the TV process would make shift the colours and make them look odd. Watching the show, the console appears white as anything and outside of the publicity stills, it wasn't until it's appearance in the Pertwee era that it was revealed in all it's grey-green glory.

Celebrate the bakelite knobs! Joy in the flashing circular lights! Check the radiation meter!

I'll be heavily refering to this site - The Mind Robber (Click) for details!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Love it. The original and best. Big switches, flashing lights, and a central column that went round as well as up and down. A superb design.

Ooh I like a nice console. I've always been FASCINATED by all the knobs, switches and dials on the various consoles. The first version had the most interesting array so I'll probably go for that .... but I shall reserve judgement until all consoles have been proudly displayed on this thread.

Please don't be too harsh with the wooden one - I've always had a soft spot for it

I like this one a lot. The switches with the little knobs on top are lovely and I bet they clicked nicely as they were pulled. There's a real sense of timelessness about it. It's a bit of a classic- a product of its time, but now, just kind of classic early electronics.

Like Jason I like the way the time rotor is more multi-purpose than any other since- with the oscillation and the rotation hinting at different functions/ modes. Lovely.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What I like about it is that it has very VERY clean lines, (unlike what we get now) but still looks functional. But to be picky it's a little sparse in places but an excellent start & looks like a lot of thought was put in to it.