Default Double-Glaze My Heart

DOUBLE GLAZING! It's a fascinating topic for debate!

Well, it's actually dreary but we need to know if YOU have had double glazing, and any tips you have.

Is it better to get a local firm in, and roughly how much did it cost you (if we might be nosy)? We've had firms try and sell us 'vents' in the windows to help condensation - are these a waste of money or good, and how do they work? Won't they let all the heat out?

Any tips towards the best, cheapest way of getting double glazing?

Si.

We went through a local builder. They just put in some standard PVCu windows without vent (but we have ventilation else where). About 300 - 500 per window. I would say yes to vents on your windows (you can always close them if you want). But window firms will rip you off.
    Two neighbours of ours had their windows changed. One had a builder do it & the other had a 'good offer' from Everest Windows. Everest still charged about 52% more than the builder even with the 'good price'.

Don't be frightened to get lots of quotes. The companies will try to pressure you to go with them, but just get in at least 5-6 to see what they offer. Then set them up against each other.

Vents would be a good idea because you have enormous puddles of water on your windowsills.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Vents would be a good idea because you have enormous puddles of water on your windowsills.
    Well I was trying to be polite.

Well that's an unfortunate side effect of not having room for a spin-dryer or a washing line. We do our best to mop it up.

Si.

I have sash windows and rather than replace them with UPVC I'd like to get them refurbished. I got a quote 18 months ago for about 6000 from Ventrolla to refurbish 13 windows.

Well Ralph, if that's to refurbish & replace with double glazed units then that's a good quote. But if that's just to remove & repair rot (if any)& repaint then that seems a bit stiff.

Alas it's the latter - which is why I haven't had it done yet. Nothings been done on the windows since they were installed 100 years ago except for some window pains - some of the glass still has that imperfect quality of a slightly distorted image. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone whose used the Ventrolla franchise, they have a special refurbishment technique so they say.

We had double glazing UPVC windows and patio doors put in by a local builder about ten years ago and we haven't looked back. The house has been much warmer, no draughts, and less painting of window sills and surrounds to do. There is a good UPVC cleaner available that keeps it all nice and white inside and out, and it looks as good now as it did when we had it all done.

We haven't got any double glazing: for one thing, we're tenants and couldn't authorise it anyway (besides, we have very nice - if slightly dirty! - old sash windows); and for another, we live in a 'conservation' area, and so we're not allowed to do things like get new windows and what-have-yer. We even had trouble getting a Sky dish a few years ago because of that, and we didn't bother in the end (although some people round here seem to have dishes...).

However, once somebody phoned up trying to sell us double glazing, and I couldn't for the life of me remember the term 'conservation area', so instead said that we couldn't have it done as we lived in a 'listed building'...

What a good impression to make - the second double glazing man didn't even turn up last night! After an hour I rang the shop and they said they'd find out where he was. Ten minutes later they returned the call and said he'd been held up at his previous job - but he didn't think to call and let us know. We waited for an hour and cancelled the only chance we had to go down the gym in a week to see him!

Si.

Trudi G Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Any tips towards the best, cheapest way of getting double glazing?

Si.
    Live in a council property and let them do it for you, for free.