View Poll Results: What is your favourite story from Season 3?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Galaxy 4

0 0%
  • Mission to the Unknown

0 0%
  • The Myth Makers

1 5.56%
  • The Daleks' Masterplan

9 50.00%
  • The Massacre

5 27.78%
  • The Ark

1 5.56%
  • The Celestial Toymaker

0 0%
  • The Gunfighters

2 11.11%
  • The Savages

0 0%

Default Ultimate Doctor Who: Season 3

Season 3 saw Doctor Who in a time of huge change. New producer John Wiles came in with new stories to tell and cast changes galore, only to be replaced by Innes Lloyd who set about making further changes himself.

The tone of the season is pretty grim, but with the same mix of stories from across space and time, sometimes in the same story, but which is your favourite?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

To be honest I know little about this season (or any season ) so this isn't just hard it's almost impossible to say which I prefer. So based on the Recon I'm going for The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve. Just ahead of DMP.

Another vote for Massacre from me

I'm like Tim in that I know so little about telebiogenesis. Erm, season 3 I mean, I know so little about season 3.

But given my comments elsewhere, it's just got to be another Massacre!

It's got to be Masterplan. It's sprawling and messy for sure, but its scale is so huge, its set pieces so big and there's a real sense that anything at all could happen within it. I adore it.

I'd have chosen The Myth Makers second.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Definitely Master Plan for me. It should be a disaster at 12 episodes, but it works. It keeps moving along enough to keep the interest going, changes location regularly, has the greatest villain ever in Mavic Chen, and the Daleks themselves are at their best. They plot, scheme, and even whisper with each other. The Christmas episode is a bit of harmless fun, and the conclusion feels suitably massive for such a huge story. The eerie ticking of the time destructor leaves a lasting impression...

The Daleks Masterplan is wonderful of course, but for me I think The Myth Makers is the one I'd go for. It's certainly the story I'd most like to see back in the archives (Come on Africa!) It might only be a re-tread of The Romans of course, but then that story is rather fab. I'd like to think that the violent ending gives it a bit of an extra edge.

Why is it better than The Daleks Masterplan? Well, it's shorter. It's a very witty story too. Hmm. Maybe.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Another vote for DMP.

This is one where I feel a bit of a fraud voting because I've only watched / listened to 2 stories from this season (got a lot of catching up to do!) As I'm not going to vote for The Gunfighters (although I hope somebody does ) I'm also going for DMP. An epic tale with a tragic ending, plus Mavic and Meddling - hoorah!

Another hard choice, mainly as so much of this season is missing it hard to tell how good/bad this season in. Both Massacre and Myth Makers may be classics, but it hard to tell with only audio to go. Master plan sounds epic, but almost all the important bits are missing. The three surviving stories are not bad, but are not classics either. I voted for Gunfighters though, as it often gets a bad press but it actually a fun, enjoyable historical romp.

Only three complete surviving stories from Season Three. My favourite would have to be The War Machines but sadly I can't vote for it.

I thought it looked odd when I scanned the above list and saw there were only 2 complete stories! I'm going for DMP for reasons that are eloquently stated above! Though the Target audiobook was a bit of a struggle!

The Massacre - a great historical drama. For me though, only the Dalek stories offer any real competition for it.

One of the most imaginative of all seasons, but it's Daleks Master Plan which wins out for me again - a true epic which, admittedly, does wander a bit, but at its best gives us some outstanding individual episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Leptil View Post
    Only three complete surviving stories from Season Three. My favourite would have to be The War Machines but sadly I can't vote for it.
    Me too. I'm really only familiar with the complete existing stories from this season and The War Machines would have easily got my vote.