View Poll Results: Which companion of the Third Doctor is your favourite?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elizabeth Shaw

2 13.33%
  • Jo Grant

5 33.33%
  • Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

7 46.67%
  • Captain Mike Yates

0 0%
  • Sergeant Benton

0 0%
  • Jeremy Fitzoliver

0 0%
  • Jason

0 0%
  • Crystal

0 0%
  • Zog

1 6.67%

Default Companions Poll: The Third Doctor

The Third incarnation of the Doctor had three main on-screen companions, Jo, Liz and Sarah (although I'm counting Sarah with the Fourth Doctor for this poll!) He also had an army of supporting characters who became companions, including the hardy perennial Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

On radio he enjoyed the company of one Jeremy Fitzoliver, played by Richard Pearce. In comic strips he was joined by a selection of deeply, deeply weird characters who generally only stayed for one story, although both Sarah and Jo joined him for a time. He even had on-stage companions in the form of Crystal, Jason and Zog who joined him for The Ultimate Adventure.

Finally there was his ultimate companion - The Master. But most people seem to think of him as a villain, so we'll let that one slip.

But who do you think was best? Choose!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It has to be Jo. Forgetting about those Dalek pics for a moment , she was simply the first companion while I was a regular viewer as a boy, she seemingly had always been there, she was basically part of the furniture. The Doctor, Jo and UNIT...they all went together. I remember being as disappointed as the Doctor when she left at the end of The Green Death, and her departure was my first real experience of the constant changes in the series.

The Brig for sure. In many ways UNIT, through Lethbridge-Stewart, symbolised the Pertwee era for me.
    And I always preferred Sarah to Jo & Liz. I think the chemistry they had in S11 tends to get overlooked, because of Elisabeth Sladen's longer tenure with Tom. As this poll clearly demonstrates by her omission as a Pertwee companion.

Once we've been through all the Doctors, I'm planning to do a 'Winner's Poll', so I didn't want to put any companion in twice - except Romana of course.

It's between The Brigadier and Jo and Liz for me. Hmm, that's pretty obvious! It has to be The Brigadier really though. Whether the efficient and ruthless soldier of Season 7 or the comedy buffoon of Season 10, he's marvellous.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm not sure but I have a feeling Liz may have been in the early Pertwee TV Comic strips as well? Anyway, it's The Brig for me - a wonderful character.

"Jenkins! Chap with wings there! Five rounds rapid!"

It has to be the good old Brigadier for me to. He's one of the Doctor's oldest and dearest friends, always there for him. It's a shame they never brought him back for the new series. Nicholas Courtney was a nice man to meet at events and there won't be anyone else like him.

The Brig is obviously fantastic- the Doctor's closest friend and ally over many, many years, always played so well by Nick Courtney too, but my vote has gone with Jo.

Jo is so likeable, bubbly and loyal. It's very impressive looking back to the original run of the show, that she's one of the very few companions who grows up and changes over her time with the Doctor. Her character is very carefully managed by the production team and by the wonderful katy manning so that her departure feels like it's been carefully planned- that she's ready to leave the Doctor and go off and have adventures with Cliff Jones. Nicely done, one of the all time greats.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I really wanted to vote for Liz Shaw as I thought she was brilliant , but I just have to vote for Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

I'm going for Liz - I love Jo, and the Brig, but there's something so refreshing about Liz' slightly more 'grown-up' style. I especially like the streak of sarcasm, and 'resistance' to being in the military. On the one hand she's brisk & efficient, and yet at the same time she laughs along with the Doctor from almost their first meeting onwards, and it's that lovely mix that sets her apart. I guess, for want of a better word for it, Liz feels 'real' in a way that appeals to me.

If I was sure the Brig would have appeared in a later poll I might have gone for Liz. I like the way you put that, Andrew. Like I said I really wanted to vote for her but as a companion I felt the Brig was the better choice.

If the Brig is added to another Doctor I'll be mad though.

Will nobody vote for poor old Zog?

No.

I might have had it been in the Sixth Doctor poll!

(joke!)

The Brig is in many ways what makes 'Doctor Who' great and his presence transcends merely the Pertwee era. Partly for that reason, I'm going for Jo, The Third Doctor's true companion and, I would argue, one of the few The Doctor truly and most eloquently loved, years before he started eating the face off any bit of skirt who said 'It's bigger on the inside'. He's heartbroken when she leaves him for a younger man, and Pert plays it beautifully. Few Doctor/companion combos have had a chemistry as sparkling as theirs.

Liz Shaw for me - a brave stab at trying to have a more intellectual companion.