Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Well let me know when you need more "tokens of appreciation"

I'll be somewhat relieved if we can get to March 16th and have caught up!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Thanks Si, Plenty of time for that though. In view of what happened with Vol.3, i'll let you know when the next volumes actually hit the doormat.

At the rate you're going, taking into account the delivery time from Oz etc, you might just about do it.
    Last edited by Wayne; 7th Feb 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Episode 11 and Pajo's antics on telly have pissed off the women,and end up with them ignoring Bea much to Franky's delight.This is shortlived however when she loses both her temper and her brother(a definite highlight is Carol Burns acting and Franky's unfolding story has been a joy to watch.)

Elsewhere Lynn's decided to run off with Doug,and a volleyball match provides some great Vera moments,as she decides to be a bitch towards Marilyn in order to impress her new fella

Episode 12 and Meg is on to Vera's cunning plan to bully Marilyn;while elsewhere ex con Lynn decides to get married to ex con Doug.

Elsewhere Karen decides to take it upon herslf to talk Franky down from the roof,and then to teach her to read.Franky shows her appreciation by first tryin to snog Karen and when that fails she escapes(although how she managed to get the ladder through reception unnoticed remains a great mystery) together with Doreen and Lizzie who somewhat unceremoniously lands on Franky as she goes over the fence

Also seen for the first time is future inmate Martha Eaves(although it might be a different character here)

Episode 39 was a lovely, neat little affair with a running comedy gag of circumstances transpiring to make it appear as if Claira was acheiving the impossible when really coincidence was to blame. I have to say the investigating governor had a point - two deaths, one suicide, two escapes and a smashed telly. It doesn't look good! Still, that's drama for you.

Of more concern to us as viewers was the introduction of the Comedy Greek Family in Episode 38. Initially appearing as two foreign hookers (resembling Dana International and the Dark-Haired one from Abba) it turned out to be a dull Immigration Storyline. Being Greek, one of them must be called Stavros and they must live in a shop painted lurid yellow. It was, however, impressive that they decided to speak in English inside the confines of their own home for the benefit of us viewers.

However, it was lucky for the Wentworth inmates that clever Karen Travers happened to speak Greek. She's a primary school teacher, so she's clever, so she probably speaks Greek you know. I bet she knows Morse Code too. There was a positive strike for racial relations when Steve Wilson jauntily observed, "It's like one of those foreign language films where nobody speaks English!". Did he expect them to come with subtitles?

Aside from the bizarre escapade involving Lizzie and the cockroach (you've got to love her) the introduction of a possible new male deputy governor and the demotion of Vera was an unexpected twist that lifted Episode 39 above its predecessor. But, please, get rid of the Greeks! Especially as one of them (actually all of them) are clearly about as Greek as the Queen of England's tits.

Si.

They are obviously so short of actors of the ethnic minorities in Australia, that when, 400 odd episodes later, they decide to do an immigration storyline again, this time involving a Polish Jew - they got the very same actress who'd played the Greek woman back!

Oh no! I bet Karen Travers spoke polish then as well!

Si.

Thankfully that old bore is long gone by then, but IIRC there was one of the prisoners who just happened to speak some Polish.

That short lived storyline resulted in one of the bad taste highlights of the entire series, where she has a nightmare of her childhood in a concentration camp with Joan "The Freak" Ferguson as one of the SS guards!

Wayne Guest

I think the greek thing was the naffest/dullest storyline that Prisoner had done up to this point. But thankfully it doesn't last very long!

Episode 13 and its a somewhat humdrum affair.Lizzie can't handle the pace of life on the run,and its only her return to Wentworth,which seems to alert the prison to the escape.Rather tellingly,and foreshadowing future events Frankie tells Doreeen she's never going back.This doesn't seem to be the case with Lynn Warner however,who agrees to be getaway driver for new hubby Doug.Elsewhere the escape is all too much for Vera and Erica who both decide to have a bitch fight over security at Wentworth

Episode 14:In which Lynn loses her husband,her baby and in some clever foreshafowing her freedom("im going back to prison arent i?).Elsewhere Doreen and Franky,still on the run con a cafe owner for food while Jean Vernon has turned up and is soon poking her nose into Meg's and Mum's buisnss

Episode 15 is a far pacier affair as Doreen and Franky up the ante in their bid to survive on the run-becoming nuns as they do so

Karen Travers storyline moves up a gear as she becomes more involved with Greg who becomes more involved in getting her a retrial.

Jean Vernons interfering appears to pay off as it looks like Mum is getting parole to look after her pregnant grandaughter.

Whilst elsewhere Lynn is returned to Wentworth while Bea's old sparring partner Monica Ferguson arrives.

So all good stuff with plenty going on although the most striking thing of note is there are only two regular officers Meg and Vera thus far

Episode 40, and things are back on track - hurrah! The rubbish Greek girl has been swiftly written out (we think; we cheered when she was led out the gates then groaned when she was instantly arrested again... but we think she's gone now) and it's hello to gay tension! We think Doreen wants to get into Lynn Warner's flowered nightie, but heaven knows why - the woman does nothing but moan. Oh woe, my work release has been cancelled! I'll have to actually be locked up for my armed robbery sentence! She should be lucky, at least it's escape from the grumbly old man who can't act and the curly-haired thing with the hots for her.

Elsewhere, the first male officer in Wentworth since dear departed Meg's husband has caused a stir. He's clearly a closet gay (we know, because he has a big bushy moustache) but he isn't happy when Doreen and Lynn cuddle up for the night. What can it all mean?

Finally, some new inmates to cheer us up! Firstly, the strange thing with the red wig that's just APPEARED AS IF SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG. She behaves like an extra, yet keeps chipping in with comments at Big Gay Moustache Man like "he can kip on my bunk anytime!" (does she have a white stick to go with her vile red wig?). Is she a proper character, or isn't she? Make up your mind!

Finally whoops of joy at the great Judy Nunn, beloved of HaRpi and a veteran of "Home and Away" and "Sons and Daughters". We'd hoped for Ray Meagher as the Deputy, but instead got Judy Nunn as the new crim! Life's funny like that. Nunn seems very much to be "finding her character", a swaggering, chipper gal looking forward to her six month stretch inside. But there's something from Big Gay Deputy's past that SHE KNOWS BUT HAS FORGOTTON. How fortunate that this could make for some thrillmaking tension in the episodes to come if she suddenly remembers.

Si.

Episode 16 and its bye to Marilyn as shes off to run a shop with Eddie conveniently left empty by Monica.Mum's also back outside again,following a super quick parole.Lynn however is so sick of her own moaning she cuts her own wrists,and elsewhere Vera is set up for attacking Monica(a plot device that becomes all too familiar as the series progresses)

It's very hard working out when people are leaving Prisoner - they get released, and appear to go, and then you cadge a sneaky look at Wiki and discover they were in it for another 400 episodes.

Two departees in last nights Episode 42 though - Monica and Lynn Warner. I'm amazed at the shyness with which the Lynn/Doreen lesbian love interest was handled - Doreen repeatedly said she loved Lynn, and was seen sneaking into bed with her, but even though it was one-sided there was always the suggestion it was a friendship thing, and no-one ever seemed shocked or confronted the issue. Meanwhile, poor Lynn is chased out the Wentworth gates by Judy Nunn's husband's cronies in a tragic case of mistaken identity. What will become of her?

Si.

Lizzie was in the titles last night! We screamed! As for the episode itself (Episode 45), it seems as if Prisoner has inflicted another one of its 'vanishing acts' on a regular cast member, as Joyce Martin (Judy Nunn) seems to have dissapeared without anyone noticing. Elsewhere, some great emotional acting from Sheila Florence as the almost-bearable-but-mostly-annoying Edie finally bit the dust. I felt myself welling up as Lizzie said how she'd die alone! And a rare but nice tender moment for her and Vera. This really is a great show at the moment.

Not sure about the business with the creepy University lecturers and their 'love triangle' nonsense - they've spent about three episodes contriving a way for the evil lecturers wife to get into Wentworth. Is it really worth it? And Jim Fletchers Big Secret turns out to be that he's a bit scared of blood. Pah! Anti-climax!

Just 15 episodes to go til we run out of "Prisoner" to watch! How on Earth will we cope??

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Just 15 episodes to go til we run out of "Prisoner" to watch! How on Earth will we cope??
    Glad you're still enjoying it, Si.
    The release of the next 2 volumes is only 3 weeks away, so you shouldn't have to wait too long if you get finished before.

Episode 17 and Doreen and Franky are rumbled and take off once more-is life on the run about to be cut short I wonder?

Elsewhere there's a new bitch(following Helen Masters) on H Block in Erica's niece Barbara;interestingly she sets the basic template for lots of characters later in the series-inside for drug smuggling and siding up with an officer(in this instance Vera who's been reinstated).Wish they'd get on with Karen Travers trial however its the only real dull point thus far...

Also nice to see actress Ann Phelan(future top dog Myra Desmond) playing an officer...

I loved the bit last night when they were deciding how to "get" Fletch and Lizzie said "I could cry rape!". Hilarious!

Si.

Glad you like Lizzie, though EVERYONE falls in love with her of course. Such a wonderful performance from Sheila Florence, and the good news is there's many years of great stuff from her still to come.

Wayne Guest

Where are you up to at the moment, Matt? Have you caught up with everything that's out, so far?

Episode 18 serves mostly to introduce a new character who I assume will end up inside Wentworth given that the show is Prisoner Cell Block H and not "what happens to a family five streets away"-its all pretty standard soap fare tho a parent seeking justice for their child...

Elsewhere inside the prison Barbara is manipulating for her own ends,blackmailing Vera and framing Monica-all good stuff

Episode 19 is a lesson in not crossing wronged mothers as u'll end up brutally run over several times

Its also a lesson in not crossing Frankie by bashing Doreen;giving a glimpse to both the softer and vulnerable sides of each character respectively.

And rounding things off you don't cross Vera either especially if you're a drug smuggler,as Vera promptly tells Bea who deals with Barbara in a way all too familiar to Cell Block H devotees...

As a side note Mother thought I was watching Judy Dench upon hearing Erica's voice for the first time

Episode 20 and we're three regulars down as Bea,Lizzie and Erica don't appear at all,this does allow for some nice character moments for Karen and Lynn,who is suddenly becoming more likeable.Mostly the episode serves to introduce wronged mother Catherine to Wentworth(albeit temporarily) although a return visit is surely due.More importantly its goodbye Franky Doyle as she's shot down by a cop.So the first major character leaves the series,although its hard to see where Carol Burns could've taken the character had she returned to Wentworth...

Sensationally (SENSATIONALLY!) we made an impromtu purchase yesterday of enough DVD storage to house the whole of "Prisoner", somewhat nievely pre-empting that both the DVD releases and our ("DVD supplier of choice") will reach the end of the run.

We spotted thin DVD cases that hold two discs each on sale in Tesco - a pack of five (holding 10 discs) for 1!! We spent 20 between us and can now store 200 discs worth!

Si.