Thread: Press Gang

Default Press Gang

Picked up the entire series cheap online and watched the first 7 episodes -lots of potential here,well drawn characters,familiar faces,a mixture of location work,largely strong storylines and great acting for the most part-although both the theme tune and Dexter Fletcher annoy -and every episode written by one Steve Moffatt(who i understand turns up on the commentarys in later seasons)-anyone else remember the show?

Press gang was great! One of the best kids programmes ever. I've not got time here but I'll share my highlights later.
    Would really like to get the dvds though.

In 'The Guinness Book of Classic British TV' by Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping (1993), the authors say that 'Press Gang' is "possibly the best show in the world". They may not be entirely serious, but I wouldn't be surprised if they genuinely believe this, as their overview of the series is positively glowing. I know that there are many who absolutely adored 'Press Gang', and who certainly believed it to be one of the greatest children's TV programmes ever. There are also those who believe Steven Moffat's writing has gone right downhill since 'Press Gang', but I couldn't possibly comment...

I used to watch it on and off, but I never really followed it as such, and I think sometimes it just went above my head. However, I do remember certain aspects of the show, particularly Dexter Fletcher's character (Spike?) constantly trying to woo Lynda (Julia Sawalha, who was something of a favourite of mine at the time). I also remember one really good episode in which one of the characters, either Lee Ross or the one who was in 'Let Him Have It' (not Christopher Eccleston!) gets shot, but they cleverly kept you guessing who had been killed right up until the end.

I imagine I'd probably appreciate it more as an adult, but I'm not sure if I'd go out and buy it or not, unless it was really cheap. How much did you get yours for, Stuart?

The complete set is listed on sendit for 32-89 but thanks to credit in my account i did get mine for 23-89 from there

Individual series are being listed as 7-89 each

It is/was a great show, although I haven't seen any for ages. The shooting episode Dave mentions above was a really excellent bit of writing (a 2-parter I think). I was also always very fond of "Love and the Junior Gazette". The character of Colin always reminded me and bruv of a friend of ours who actually was called Colin...

I've become addicted!

I picked up series one for 1.99 from that cheapo place at Liverpool Street station, and got series two from Amazon.

I'm halfway through series two, and it's amazing how much of it I can half remember from when I was but a wee small child.

Finished series 1 tonight and it made for great viewing.Essentially Press Gang is an issues based show;the first series dealt with glue-sniffing,suicide and a handicapped kid(who becomes a semi-regular)-the thing that stands out mostly however is the writing and snappy dialogue-all good stuff

Just done a series 2 marathon and Press Gang continues to improve on all fronts-Yesterday's News is particularly good.And welcome commentarys as well from Messrs Moffat and Sawalha

Series 3 is done and dusted and the show benefits from fewer episodes as we literally grow up with the characters now that they've left school.In particular the 2 parter chronicling the siege in the office is particularly effective

Quote Originally Posted by stuartdg View Post
    In particular the 2 parter chronicling the siege in the office is particularly effective
    Was that the storyline I mentioned in my 'spoiler' tag earlier?

I think so - starring (if that's the word) Perkins from The Curse of Fenric.

Yes it was in a very fetching clowns mask

Nearly done series 4 now

Sharon "Ghost Light" Duce has turned up as Spike's mother.

Only 1 series 2 go before they head to a new home

This is now all watched

Best episode of season 5 was Quarter To Midnight,where Lynda is trapped in a vault and cleverly gets herself out with little or no help at all

I finished the series today, and liked the ending. Lynda obviously survived because she's such a cow. I think I have her ways of occassion.

And popcorn.