View Poll Results: How would you rate The Day of The Doctor?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - O Happy Day!

11 40.74%
  • 9 - Happy Birthday!

11 40.74%
  • 8 - Christmas Day!

4 14.81%
  • 7 - New Year's Day

0 0%
  • 6 - Midsummer's Day

1 3.70%
  • 5 - Average Day

0 0%
  • 4 - Thursday

0 0%
  • 3 - Monday

0 0%
  • 2 - Darkest Day

0 0%
  • 1 - I Rue The Day

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

9/10. Fun where it needed to be fun, dramatic where it needed to be dramatic, excellent special effects and John Hurt excelling himself.

Whoa – the site's changed a bit since I was last on.

Anywho, I'll be brief. I'm no fan of Moffat, but the 50th gets a 10/10 from me. It was everything it needed to be – fun, exciting, and above all, not in the least bit a throwaway episode. I didn't find anything remotely offensive regarding the whole "Gallifrey falls no more" change or the whole "13 Doctors" bit.

If the Star Trek reboot taught me anything it's that you just have to go with the flow sometimes. In my view, Eccleston's still 9, Tennant's still 10, etc. etc. but what happened during the 50th still applies.

Granted, if Eccleston had said yes to coming back, I would've given this an 11 out of 10. Not quite sure why he would say no?

I'm surprised at all the 9s and 10s for this. It was alright, but it wasn't really much more than any other new series episode with Tennant in it. Was really very convoluted, very concerned with the Time War (which is just a recent thing and unlikely to be of any interest to a casual viewer) and just... not very anniversary-ish. It was alright, no more.

My mum loved it though, but then she's mad.

We can always pick holes in the logic of any Moffat timey wimey story and I'm sure there are a few here but I think as a Big F..ING 50th it was excellent. I really liked Rose being the Moments conscience because it was in series one when she sucked up the time vortex and left the trail of "Bad Wolf" throughout all of time, right ? The Zygon story was just a sideline hence the really not scary rubber suits. But resetting the last 50 years to now seeking Gallifrey instead of running away from it, very clever. Loved the ending too, just wish people wouldn't talk over the end credits.

Not being funny but the background here reminds me more of Blockbusters, can I have a P please Bob ?

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I think it was more accessable to a casual viewer than I expected it to be, particularly with it NOT being a direct continuation from the S7 cliffhanger
    Tonight, my parents just proved this statement of mine to be totally wrong...both of them like the series but aren't avid viewers, it doesn't bother them if they miss an episode or two. They both saw the season finale, and their opinions of the Special...

Mum: "I'm still trying to figure it out, it jumped all over the place and didn't make much sense" ...
    Dad: " It just seemed as if they were trying to tie up as many loose ends as they could instead of just giving us a good story"

Although they both agreed that it was well made and acted, they weren't at all impressed by the story and are hoping for simpler, less complicated fare in future. "That's no good (ie quality) if the story isn't any good"

OK I'm going to add nothing useful to this discussion but

OH MY WORD THAT WAS AMAZING WOW WOW WOW HOW FABULOUSLY BRILLIANTLY FANTASTICALLY AWESOME FROM START TO FINISH AND WOAH! DID YOU SEE THAT TARDIS HANGING FROM A HELICOPTER OH MY WORD! AND THE DOCTOR DANGLING OUT OF IT AND KATE LETHBRIDGE STEWART AND SHE WAS ACTUALLY GOOD IN THIS STORY AND THEN IT WAS THE PAINTING AND ONE HECK OF A LOT OF LASERS QUELLE DOMMAGE DID THEY SPEND ALL THE MONEY IN THAT SCENE AND WOW WOW WOW JOHN HURT NO MORE WOW AND THE TARDIS FLEW THROUGH A BRICK WALL AND SMASHED LOADS OF DALEKS AND THEN ONE DALEK SAID THE DOCTOR WAS ESCAPING AND THEN HE WAS IN THE DESERT AND THE MOMENT WAS ROSE TYLER GENIUS WOW WOW AND AAAAAA!!! THAT FEZ FLYING BACK IN TIME TO THE DIFFERENT DOCTORS AND AAAA THEY HAD LOADS OF REALLY GREAT SCENES TOGETHER AND JUST THE THREE OF THEM ON SCREEN IN A ROOM CHATTING WOW WOW WOW AAAA!!! AND THE ZYGON WAS THE HORSE OF COURSE AND QUEEN ELIZABETH AND THEN THERE WERE ZYGONS IN THE TOWER OF LONDON AND THEY WERE SLIMEY AND HORRIBLE AND WE SAW ONE TRANSFORMING AND THAT WAS AMAZING AND WOW WOW WOW CLARA WAS ACTUALLY GOOD IN THIS AND THEN AAA AAA AAA THEY WORKED OUT THEY COULD SAVE GALLIFREY IF THEY ALL TURNED UP AT ONCE - NO ALL THIRTEEN!!!! JAW HITS FLOOR AND WOW! WOW! WOW! AND WHEN THEY WERE STANDING TOGETHER WITH THEIR HANDS ON THE MOMENT AND THAT WAS AMAZING AND THEN THAT ENDING WHERE ALL THE DOCTORS FIND GALLIFREY AND TOM WAS IN IT AND WE DON'T KNOW IF HE WAS REALLY THE DOCTOR BUT IT'LL KEEP US GUESSING AND AAAAAAA!!!!!

Inhaler.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If it weren't for the fact that Steve's comments were positive ones I'd had thought that Ian Levine had hacked his account - all those capital letters!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    If it weren't for the fact that Steve's comments were positive ones I'd had thought that Ian Levine had hacked his account - all those capital letters!!
    Where do I go to see the Ian Levine review?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Ian Levine's house?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I take it that Steve liked it then...?

8 out of 10

I really enjoyed that from the Hartnell opening to the Tom Baker cameo. I think SM managed a multi- doctor story without it being to contrived. The Zygons were well done and would like to see them return in the future. Billie's role was cleverly done and she played it well. Osgood would make a good companion.
    And we now know that John Hurt is/was the Ninth doctor.

Finally got to watch this yesterday with the boys (I know - what sort of fan am I ? )

Enjoyed it quite a lot so gave 8/10.

Things I really liked
    • John Hurt - oh my ! What a real joy to have him part of DW, and what a great shame that we'll not get to see his Doctor again. Loved him taking the piss out of 10 and 11 (or surely that's 11 and 12 )
    • Tom Baker - might have looked like he was Tom Baker playing the Doctor playing the actor Tom Baker, but just mesmorising
    • The look of the Zygons
    • the setting up of the next story arc

Things I liked much less
    • the gaping plot holes - As usual, 5 minutes of considered thought after the episode was over left me feeling more and more disappointed. And PLEASE MAKE THIS THE LAST EVER TIMEY WIMEY STORY, coz you still can't get them right, Moff.
    • re-writing the Zygon's abilities
    • some of the humour was over the border into annoying
    • didn't think much of the Elizabeth I stuff
    • the nausea inducing group Doctor shot near the end , and although it looks great from the front, just go back and look at the previous shot from the year ! The Pertwee and Davison look-a-likes are shocking !!

So overall, an Anniversary story that I'll be happy to rewatch many times, but not as many as the 3 or 5 Doctors.

PS The boys loved it, esp. Tommy B and the Zygons but even they were asking plot questions (and DURING the epsiode, which required me to tell them to be quiet multiple times )
    Bazinga !

As a spoiler-avoider, I do find it interesting that the spoilers thread for DotD has reached 19 pages, yet this one seems stuck on 3!

More than a week later, I haven't felt inclined to rewatch this yet.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The Lads will soon see to that - they easily handle all inclinations.

I'll rephrase that...

As a spoiler-avoider, I do find it interesting that the spoilers thread for DotD has reached 19 pages, yet this one seems stuck on 3!
    Well it had been open for nearly 3 years!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

No wonder the cat got out!

My Blu-Ray arrived this morning.

It does contain two mini episodes, one of which is the Night of the Doctor.

This paragraph is typical insane fan nonsense - yes, my interpretation is entirely different! Give the show a new direction, let the Doctor save the day - a marvellous thing to do for the 50th.

It would appear that Moffat was not a great fan of Russell T Davies' eradication of Gallifrey when Nu-Who began. Many fans disliked the idea of The Doctor being the last of his kind and not being recalled to his home planet now and again to do their bidding, becoming President of Gallifrey or whatever. We were initially frosty toward the concept, but we grew to accept idea it seemed to fit the show. To suddenly be faced with the possibility of bringing everything back seems to be the worst case of "pushing the reset button" in the show's history and could almost be seen as the ultimate parody of RTD's reset button concept (the worst of which was seen at the end of the series three two-parter) and by having the item in question as a literal big red reset button seems to also consciously function as a flying ****-you to RTD. It's possible that we're reading it in a somewhat abstract manner - your interpretation may be something entirely different.

I really liked this story. It was great to see some of the Time War and find out some of what happened. I also liked the Zygons coming back. I thought John Hurt was really good as the War Doctor.

I was impressed with John Hurt too and would love to see him return. Sadly I don't think this wish will come true!

WAR DOCTOR: I guess you aren't the man i thought you were, Clara Oswald
    CLARA: Oh really? Can you have a baby?
    WAR DOCTOR: No, just grow a beard. Which i can shave off. You cannot do that with a baby.

As good as John Hurt was it should have been McGann!!!
    JB