Please feel free to merge this with another thread or whatever, if appropriate. And please add your own personal recollections.

This is the first part of 2 or 3 stages, because I don't have time to do it all in one go.

Dr Who kind of came about for me because of my parents.
My Mum & Dad weren't exactly fans of the show, but in the 60's when there was only 3 channels to choose from, There was a least a third of a chance of it being on tv.
I know they used to watch it during the 60's, (especially Dad, who was more disposed towards Sci-Fi, having grown up listening to Journey Into Space on the radio, as a teenager) but not religiously. Though I'm told that the old theme music was scary enough to have made me cry as a tot. : But I don't really remember anything from the 60's aside from some vague recollections of the Daleks, which must've made some impression on me, because mum & dad bought me a talking Dalek during the height of 60's 'Dalekmania', which I loved!
Just as an aside, Star Trek's first UK broadcast was in Dr Who's time-slot, in between the end of S6 and the beginning of S7, and I DO remember that, because Dad liked it and we watched it together.
But Who-wise for me, it really begins with the Pertwee era. Mum was a fan Jon Pertwee from his comic radio serials, and mum & dad even went to see one man show he was touring sometime before he took on Dr Who. So mum was curious to see him in Dr Who, and although she didn't really become a fan, not being really predisposed towards Sci-Fi, Dad liked the new, more adult feel of S7, and it continued on to have a permanent place on our tv every Saturday.
So there I was, a 6 year old in January 1970, being made very nervous by these scary plastic men in overalls....

All these years later, I still remember the impact that Spearhead From Space had on me.
Hugh Burden's icy-cold performance as Channing was pretty scary in itself at that age.
Perhaps the scene I remember the most is the death of the Seeley's dog. Offscreen, the Auton crashing around in the house.... the barking dog suddenly going silent.... the nervous Mrs Seeley encountering the Auton.... I can remember Mrs Seeley's scream when the Auton turns around as if it was yesterday.
And of course this classic scene, which had me nervous of the shop dummies in the Co-op window....

I strongly remember all of Season 7, in particular The Silurians, and especially the Silurian leader being killed by the younger Silurian.
And by the time Ambassadors of Death came on, i'd turned 7yrs old, but those faceless astronauts still creeped me out.....

In between Season 7 & 8, My Mum took me to the pictures during the school holidays to a repeat screening of the second Cushing movie. I didn't really get who that funny old bloke was, but all I cared about was the Daleks. I thought they were brilliant!
And i absolutely loved that Dalek ship!

Shortly afterwards, my uncle gave me a copy of Terry Nation's 1964 Dalek book, which further solidified my fascination with the wee saltshakers.

More later.....