Default 20 Years of Dimensions In Time

On Saturday afternoon as a warm-up for the big event, I decided to give the last Anniversary special, 1993's Dimensions In Time, another viewing for the first time since its original broadcast...

Lets just say that it really made me appreciate Moffat's effort all the more as because after all these years DIT was every bit as awful as I remembered it... It was nice seeing all the Doctors again with some unusual Doctor/companion pairings, and seeing the only on-screen meeting between the 6th Doctor and the Brig. All the same though, even though it was just meant as a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously, it was a masterclass in how NOT to make Doctor Who from someone who should have known better...

What did you all think of this, both when it was first broadcast and nowadays? Has your opinion of it changed over the years? Is anyone here a fan of this story and wants to stick up for it?

I actually liked Dimensions in Time when I first saw it. As a youngster, it was quite scary at the end of Part One when the monsters peer out of the Queen Vic windows.

It is nice that all the then surviving Doctors appeared but a pity Tom Baker only appeared in previously filmed inserts. They got many companions back and the EastEnders setting was alright. Maybe it could have been longer. Also, Noel Edmonds being an idiot requested two minutes from Part Two to be cut so it would fit in with HIS show. We'll probably never seen those bits.

Not the greatest thing in Doctor Who but a harmless bit of fun for the 30th. 7/10

I love it.

It might be rubbish, but it's so full of fun, joyous quotable moments that it's difficult to really hate it. It's become like audience participation Who down the years, joiing in with all the great lines- "Madam What Year Ith Thith?" "Who was the terrible WOMAN!" "It'll overload!" etc and of course the cliffhanger "You're all going on a lone journey" audience: "HOW LONG?" Rani: "A Very long journey!" magnificent!

if nothing else, its wonderful to see many old faces in one show.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The grumpy one and the flautist.

It's Doctor Who from the 80's, turned up to 10,000 and distilled into about seven glorious minutes. If City of Death is like a fine wine, then Dimensions In Time is a Tequila, Vodka and Red Bull. Sickly sweet, a terribly bad idea but very exciting and guaranteed to make you feel sick, excited and giddy. Especially if you're wearing the 3D spectacles.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've never had the pleasure of seeing it in 3D...the mind boggles!

I'm glad to see that some of you actually like it, although unfortunately there's no way I'd ever agree with you (just like with Time And The Rani!) even though there are good quotable lines and interesting pairings...I still think the whole thing is a mess, and you'll never convince me otherwise...sorry! If this was the best the BBC could come up with to celebrate the 30th Anniversary, it just shows how lowly they thought of it at the time and the poor expectations they had.

It's maybe an age thing (and unfortunately for me!) you guys are considerably younger than I am...being brought up with Pertwee and Baker just made the fall in standards of the show's later years so hard to take, I think, for many of us older fans. You younger guys, although of different ages (I know some of you started watching in the Davison years, others later still in the McCoy era) would obviously have been of a younger and more impressionable age when the later stories were broadcast (talk about stating the obvious!)

Looking at the Dark Dimension I wish they'd done that instead