Thread: 'Allo 'Allo!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Michelle and Bostrom were just on Richard & Judy, they confirmed it's a 100 minute special (sounds similar to the Goodies one), with "just about everyone who's still alive" - there's new scenes and classic clips, and it's on the evening of Saturday April 28th on BBC2.

I hope it doesn't clash with Who or Who Confy!!

Pip Madeley Guest

More information from Roobarbs, though it is spoilery, so I've blanked it...

The episode is set in the caf, and has some of the original cast (Rene, Yvette, Crabtree, the airmen, Gruber, Mimi, Michelle, Leclerc). The new material will frame compilations of clips for each character. The script is by Jeremy Lloyd - he was there on the evening. Edith is mentioned in passing - and I guess will have her own compilation, though we didnt see this on the night.

The episode was rather under-rehearsed. A couple of actors told me over the weekend that they only had the afternoon before the recording to rehearse, though Gorden Kaye had also rehearsed the day before. Unfortunately he didn’t know the script, and was frequently reading it from the pages on a table in front of him or a monitor. The airmen had a scene together but because the recording was late in starting and got even later as time went on, it was cut without being recorded. I've been led to believe that Gorden Kaye nearly walked out half way through the recording, citing the fact that he had hurt his ribs whilst leaning over the bar.

The question is, which Leclerc?

We should have known it would have been "framing clips". Sounds like a mis-fire.

Si.

I don't think they could have done it any other way really, I don't think it would be the same without Carmen Silvera.

Hmm, doesn't sound that good to me, why bother to bring it back after so many years to show clips of past episodes?

Pip Madeley Guest

You could say the same about the Goodies/Swap Shop shows they had, but they went down well...

Not with me.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

That's cause the Goodies and Swap Shop didn't have enough icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley
    The question is, which Leclerc?
    The one who's still alive/one I forgot about yesterday?
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 29th Mar 2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Edited to add: That'll be Robin Parkinson

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, I meant Ernest or Roger Leclerc actually. Robin Parkinson's still

I was hoping for Roger Kitter and Phoebe Scholfield.

I was hoping for Sam Kelly and Francesca Gonshaw.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think she's hardly been seen anywhere since she left Howard's Way twenty years ago... Sam Kelly would've been a bit out of place, I'd have though. Hans is supposed to be in Britain anyway, having been mistaken for an airman after escaping from Stalag Luft IV...

I wish Playback would hurry up and release series 6-9.

If it's as good as The Goodies show was, it'll be great fun to watch.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Caught the end of a Vicki Michelle interview on This Morning and suddenly realised that The Return of 'Allo 'Allo is on this Saturday. Are they trying to bury it? Do they think it's going to be a disaster? Where are the trailers?

Has Gorden Kaye appeared on BBC Breakfast yet? Bill Turnbull mentioned it at the end of last month's studio recording report. (I think it should probably be Thursday or Friday)

Can't even see any listings/interviews/features on the BBC Press Office site!

From Radio Times.com

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Times
    The Return of 'Allo 'Allo
    Saturday 28 April
    9:00pm - 10:45pm
    BBC2

The cast and characters of the classic sitcom return with brand new scenes specially written by Jeremy Lloyd and a documentary revealing the history behind the show. The comic adventure set amonst the German occupation of France had regular audiences of over 15 million viewers and ran for nine years. In this programme, in front of a studio audience, Rene is back in his cafe writing his war diaries, with a little 'elp from the sexy Yvette and as well as some other well known patrons of Cafe Rene.

VIDEO Plus+: 75950886
    Subtitled, Widescreen

Cast
    Gorden Kaye,Vicki Michelle,Arthur Bostrom,Guy Siner
    Directed by: Martin Dennis

'Allo 'Allo!
    Saturday 28 April
    10:45pm - 11:20pm
    BBC2
    The Sausage in the Wardrobe

Sitcom set during the Second World War in occupied France. With Maria and the Fallen Madonna caught by Von Klinkerhoffen, a brave rescue attempt is planned. In fact, three brave rescue attempts!

VIDEO Plus+: 240374
    Repeat, Subtitled, Widescreen

Cast
    Gorden Kaye,Carmen Silvera,Vicki Michelle,Richard Marner,Sam Kelly,Hilary Minster
    P.S. Did I ask enough questions?

Pip Madeley Guest

Phew, it's not going to clash with Who. All time classic episode at 10.45pm.

(shame I may be out Saturday night God bless the PVR)

That's Pip's Saturday evening sorted. Doctor Who & DWC followed by 'Allo 'Allo reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    That's a shame. She was lovely.
    Well said that man!

Gorden Kaye and Vicki Michelle are meant to be appearing on Breakfast tomorrow morning. Would make a nice DVD extra.

ITV Teletext have it as their Pick Of The Day (along with Doctor Who, Morse At 20 and Grease Is The Word):

Quote Originally Posted by Teletext Page 134
    The Return Of 'Allo 'Allo!, BBC2, 9pm

French cafe owner Rene and his comical mob get reacquainted in this look back at one of Britain's most popular sitcoms throughout the 1980s.

Celebrity fans, a French correspondent and a German comedian discuss the impact of the show, set in France during the Second World War.

With the added bonus of a new episode filmed in front of a studio audience of adoring fans, it's a welcome stroll down memory lane.
    It still sounds like Gordon Kaye's dodgy teeth will destroy it for me.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, I watched it, and it was all a little odd really. 1 hour and 45 minutes was stretching it a bit, and sadly the documentary bits didn't really tell you anything particularly interesting unless you were a complete novice, so I did a fair bit of clock watching whilst the usual anecdotes were rolled out... thankfully, the rare clips (Wogan, Kilroy, news reports etc) were saving graces.

Was fun to see some of the cast getting back into their roles - Gorden Kaye, despite his age and whistly teeth, was every inch the Rene he was fifteen years ago... shame he kept looking down to read his script though! I've heard they were all rather under-rehearsed and they were running behind on the night due to technical problems, it certainly seemed like that from the ending which was very badly cut, one minute the airmen are talking, the next the credits were rolling!

Arthur Bostrom did a fine job, though the bit with the audience members was rather dull. Vicki Michelle slipped back into her blouse easily too, she looked really good for her age too (except for the Davros hands). Sue Hodge on the other side isn't looking that good these days - the fur coat and make up didn't help! Guy Siner was a bit off as Gruber (his voice has deepened), but it was nice to see them recreate the "Mad About The Boy" bit. They were all let down by the script really, which wasn't all that great (surprising as it was Jeremy Lloyd's work). I did enjoy it though, I'm glad they made it (better now than later) but I wish they didn't have to keep panning to the audience all the bloody time...

We taped it, to watch today... I'm not sure I want to now! We did catch "The Sausage in the Wardrobe" straight after though, which was excellent, even if I had somehow forgotten how daft the show was! Loved Herr Flick in the suit of armour.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, it didn't do too well in the ratings - 3.6m (16.7%) although it was 8th for the day, and it did beat 'Grease Is The Word' on ITV1, so a triumph in some ways. The repeat was watched by 2.5m (15.3%) and came 16th.

3.6m is an excellent figure for BBC2.

I fell asleep during Confidential and missed it in the end.

I'm not surprised the ratings were low with such little publicity.

We missed the first 20 minutes or so but although in many ways it was crap we really enjoyed it. It helped that we'd had a few drinks with dinner and although it was so obvious Gordon Kaye was reading his lines he and the others did pretty well re-creating their characters and even the set looked pretty much the same as it did in yesteryear. I agree though that the shots of the audience and the lame bit where three members were dragged on stage was silly. Almost like they didn't have the courage of their convictions to do it properly and in this day of more post-modern things like "Extras" wanted to try and be a bit clever.

Like the programme proper, this wasn't exactly groundbreaking or sophisticated but if you leave your brain at the door it's pretty enjoyable.

I hope they do a Hi-De-Hi one soon. That's not doing too badly in the dead cast members stakes so that'll help.