Thread: 'Allo 'Allo!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default 'Allo 'Allo!

'Allo 'Allo is returning for a one-off special, according to The Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...110158,00.html

'Allo 'Allo comedy hit to return
    March 08, 2007

LEESEN very carefully, I weel say zis only once: ’Allo ’Allo is returning to the BBC for one last mission.

The BBC1 classic farce about the Nazi occupation of France was a 1980s hit.

Now Gorden Kaye will be back as cafe owner Ren Artois — and most of the original cast are expected to join him in a one-off reunion show.

The shoot will take place in front of a live audience at Granada Studios in Manchester on March 22.

In keeping with its slapstick tradition, producers have asked the audience to wear fancy dress.

It is a fantastic comeback for Kaye, who was left with serious head injuries after a horrific car accident in 1990.

A source said of the show: “It was a fantastic farce in its day.

“The repeats are still popular even after all these years.”

The spoof — famed for its catchphrases including ‘Good Moaning’ and ‘Ah ze flashing knobs’ — centred around cafe owner Ren who unwittingly became involved with the French Resistance.

He also had to deal with the affections of wife Edith (the late Carmen Silvera), waitresses Yvette and Maria (Vicki Michelle and Francesca Gonshaw) and the fey Lt Gruber (Guy Siner) of the Gestapo.

The last ’Allo ’Allo was shown in 1992 as the war neared its end and the town was liberated. The source added: “A one-off could be a big hit.”
    Someone mentioned the Granada recording on Digital Spy the other day, but I thought it was a joke.

It's worth clicking the link to look at the pervy old publicity pic.

This will please one particular Manc.

So who's still alive and available? And can't they just come back and do a one-off serious episode, like Secret Army?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

How odd to say it's a comeback for Kaye from an accident he was in 17 years ago.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    This will please one particular Manc.
    How do I get audience tickets?

Carmen won't be in it will she (Edith)? It won't be the same.

And the Colonel is dead.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quite surprisingly, Rose Hill (Fanny) is still alive.

And I'm sure they could write around Edith's absence - perhaps she beat Rene at his own game and eloped with Msr Alphonse?

How bizarre. It might work, but with several members of the original cast dead, it's going to be a bit odd.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It won't work without Edith I don't think - the whole central cluster of relationships centred around Rene having a mild affair with Vyvetter/Mimi/Maria without Edith knowing. If she's not there, how are they going to explain why he isn't "with" one of the girls? And if he is, then the whole setup will change.

And you are warned, everyone will look VERY old.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    How do I get audience tickets?
    That's the first thing I want to know! I knew that beret would come in useful!

Phil, are you sure that Rose Hill is still alive? I was reading something about a retirement home for actors a few weeks back and I thought that it said she died there. They'd certainly be looking at a fair number of recastings or absentees, Richard Marner, Hillary Minister, Kenneth Connor, Carmen Silvera... I don't know how well if would work, but all the cast seem to love the show very much and care about it, so I'm sure they'd do a good job.

Pip Madeley Guest

Ah, you're right, I checked IMDB and she died in 2003. Sad.

Gorden Kaye wouldn't be doing it if it was in bad taste - Carmen Silvera was his best friend, I'm sure he'd do her justice.

According to IMDB:
    Rose Hill,
    Date of birth
    5 June 1914, London, England, UK
    Date of death
    22 December 2003, Hillingdon, Middlesex, England, UK.

Ah, I see you found it.

On the upside (we seem to be getting a bit pessimistic) it'll be great to see Kaye and Vicki Michelle (who can still easily pull off the sex appeal role) performing together again, and lovely to get Kirsten Cooke, Kim Hartman, Guy Siner and Sue Hodge back too.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Not to mention Richard Gibson!

I wonder if it would be set just after the war or several years after?

Pip Madeley Guest

Well the last episode in 1992 showed the end of the war (and indeed, Rene finally eloping with Yvette), so I can't see them going 'back' as it were. Plus they all look older, so it would make sense to have it set in the recent past.

Surely it won't still be set in the 1940's? How would they explain everybody ageing fifteen years?

Will they cast yet another Leclerc?

Is there any chance of Francesca Gonshaw appearing in it? I haven't seen her in anything except 'Howard's Way' twenty years ago.

What's the point? It ended in present day with Edith taking up residence in her mothers bed and the colonel et al coming to see Rene who was still runing the cafe.

Bad idea

It'll probably end up being a cross-over with Eastenders, to be broadcast on Red Nose Day next year.
    "You stupid woman, can you not see that I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve and it's time for you to start losing?"
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Is there any chance of Francesca Gonshaw appearing in it? I haven't seen her in anything except 'Howard's Way' twenty years ago.
    Francesca Gonshaw hasn't done any TV since A Ghost in Monte Carlo (1990) I'm led to believe.

That's a shame. She was lovely.

I doubt she'd appear as her replacement Sue Hodge is surely ready and willing.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

She stills plays Mimi though, so she's probably more confirmed than Gorden Kaye!

Although small, this photo is very iconic:

I always liked Vikki Michelle. But she's no Nicola Bryant.