Default Tom Daley comes out

Olympic diver Tom Daley has revealed he is in a relationship with a man.

In a YouTube broadcast, the 19-year-old London 2012 bronze medallist said: "In spring this year my life changed massively when I met someone, and they make me feel so happy, so safe and everything just feels great.

"That someone is a guy."

Daley, from Plymouth in Devon, was recently named the "world's sexiest man" by a magazine and is presenting a second series of dive show Splash.
    'Good on him'

Daley said: "It did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen.

"But it wasn't until spring this year that something just clicked. It felt right and I thought 'Okay'.

"And my whole world changed there and then."
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Right now I'm dating a guy and I couldn't be happier”

Tom Daley

He added: "Of course I still fancy girls but right now I'm dating a guy and I couldn't be happier."

Responding to the broadcast, Edward Lord, chairman of the Amateur Swimming Association, tweeted: "We must support @TomDaley1994 in his decision to come out.

"He is very brave and as ASA Chairman I am proud of him."

Gay rights campaigners Stonewall tweeted: "Moving and inspiring video from @TomDaley1994. A role model for thousands of other young people."

Another Twitter user, @SirLewisJenkins said: "So, Tom Daley likes guys too. Good on him for coming out and being proud, rather than hiding it."

Daley said his father Rob, who died of cancer aged 40 in 2011, always said to him: "As long as you are happy, I'm happy."

He added: "My mum has been so supportive as well. All of my friends and family that I've told have been so supportive, which has been great.

"My friends and family have supported me and I hope you guys can too.

"I still want to win an Olympic gold medal in Rio in 2016 for Britain.

"I'm still as motivated as ever to do that."
    He's right of course, it shouldn't matter and it shouldn't be a big deal, but the more people in the public eye that do this, the more that will change. Good for Tom.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well done Tom for having the courage to do this.

Not very surprising, but good for him!

I'm not surprised at all. Well done to him though because it's a big decision going public.

Other top stories of the day, we're hearing that a Bear has defecated in the woods, while we also have some unconfirmed reports that the Pope might be Catholic...

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Ha! I remember people getting told off for assuming he was. 'Just because you like the look of him, doesn't mean he's one of yours' they said.

Anyway, an excellent move and a very brave one. I hope this leads to a few more 'outings' in the sporting world.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ha! I remember people getting told off for assuming he was. 'Just because you like the look of him, doesn't mean he's one of yours' they said.
    What, a Doctor Who fan?

Good for him anyway.