Default BBC Archive store!

The dream is coming! http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/p...bbc_store.html

"The BBC needs to respond to significant changes in the way audiences now buy programmes. The creation of BBC Store will enable it to do so, and to release a greater selection of classic shows from the BBC archive."
    YES!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Potentially this could be excellent - there are a few rarities (Tv and radio) that I'd like to get hold of which have never been released.
    Bazinga !

Oh, me too Jon! More than I could list right now.

I wonder of the iTunes Who success has spurred this on?

This sounds very exciting!

Will they FINALLY be releasing the complete 'The Broom Cupboard' with Andy Crane and Ed The Duck?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And the butler!

Don't forget the butler!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

This sounds very exciting. Until recently, I've been wary of downloading or streaming television programmes, doubting the qulaity. But since we've just bought a SMART TV, I've seen the potential - and the improvements - and it would be very exiting to be able to watch previously unseen (well to me, anyway) gems.

It's almost, nearly here! http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/29933302

The only thing I'm not too happy about there is this comment:

The idea is that people will be able to use iPlayer to search for shows, buy them through links to BBC Store and watch them via the catch-up service.
    I hope that a download option is available as well...if I'm paying for something, I like to have a copy of my own as a backup rather than something which simply sits in the cloud and could potentially disappear at a moments notice due to rights issues, etc

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's almost, nearly here! http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/29933302
    It's now really, really, almost nearly here....

(nabbed from another forum)

LONDON — Want to buy the latest episode of “Doctor Who” hours after the TV transmission, some exclusive “Top Gear” footage or a forgotten but culturally significant Dennis Potter play from the 1960s?

Look no further, then, than the BBC Store, which goes live Wednesday and features more than 7,000 hours of content from the BBC archive.

The long heralded, download-to-own service, run by BBC Worldwide, marks another milestone in the digital revolution the Corp is embracing. Titles, be it “Sherlock” or “Shakespeare,” can be accessed via bbcstore.com or the BBC iPlayer on mobiles, tablets and computers. A BBC Store app will be launched shortly making the service available as a direct portal on smart TVs.

For TV junkies or casual viewers, the BBC store offers a vast array of fare from the present day and stretching back more than half a century. “Muffin The Mule,” one of the BBC’s first children’s TV shows, is believed to be the oldest piece of content that can be bought on the BBC Store.

The “Doctor Who” collection embraces 50 years of the time traveller’s adventures. Comedy fans have classics like “Blackadder” and the complete “Fawlty Towers” including some episodes considered too politically incorrect to show on broadcast TV. Influential drama such as the original “House of Cards” and “Cathy Come Home” will also be available. A collection of Dennis Potter rarities like “A Beast With Two Backs” and “Traitor” are on sale for the first time .

“We want BBC Store to do for digital ownership with BBC iPlayer did for catch-up,” said Marcus Arthur, managing director of BBC Worldwide U.K. and ANZ. “BBC Store makes digital ownership really easy for audiences and means that we can begin opening up the incredible BBC television archive.”

Within a year Arthur predicted the hours of content available on BBC Store would grow to 10,000 hours. Users pay from £1.89 for a single episode to an average price of £7.99 for a six-part series.

The U.K.-only service comes as DVD sales continue to slide and competition for screen eyeballs gets even more intense. Worldwide said it would still sell its content to VOD services like Netflix. The outfit declined to reveal revenue forecasts for BBC Store but said it would help drive Worldwide’s revenues in the next five years.

Worldwide is planning to bow a subscription U.S. VOD service next year but details remain sketchy.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Hurrah!

And it's here....

https://store.bbc.com/

Now it becomes clear why BBCWW spent so much money on the Underwater Menace recons of eps 1 & 4, you can buy either for £2.99 each.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

If it was a subscription based model (say £9.99 a month) I might be interested, but there's no way I'm going to spend £7.99 to watch a six episode series when I already pay my licence fee (despite watching fairly little UK fare most of the time).
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I love the Daily Mail's predictable angle, mentioning the BBC competing head to head with Apple & Amazon in the headline, the bullet points under the headline, and in the first paragraph.

Has anyone found any gems from the archives hidden away in there yet? I'm disappointed at the small amount of episodes of series like Horizon, which has run for decades. Only recent episodes are available, plus a few from the past few years. Where's the old stuff from the 70s and 80s?

Of course, it's early days yet but it's the hard to find, previously unreleased older stuff which I'm interested in...those episodes of series which haven't made it onto DVD, not stuff from recent years or stuff which has long been available on DVD

Dennis Potter's Blackeyes will be a definite for me.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I've bought series 3 of Jonathan Creek. The only other way to get it was with the boxset.

I've been on the lookout for Season 2 of Shoestring. The first season is available on dvd for a while, but no sign of S2 yet. Hopefully it will turn up here sometime soon.