Default Brit Sci-Fi Convention March 2014

Had a great time at this - will post a full report and photos very soon. Well soon-ish

Didn't go, but an ex of mine of Facebook said she was there and actually flirted with Paul Darrow.
    She's still got it at least!

Paul Darrow is one big flirt! Lalla Ward was at the Convention today looking fabulous as usual!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hurrah, sounds like a great fun convention. How they should be!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Oh Lalla!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Why is there a Space Centre in Leicester? That’s the first question that popped into my head as I walked around the convention area. My second question was, whose bright idea was it to have a pretend rocket landing in the dining area, belching out dry ice every 2 minutes! It was a very bizarre spectacle to be wandering round all the “science facts” exhibits that were in amongst all the Cyberman costumes, Blakes’ 7 communicator bracelets and Daleks. I felt ever so sorry for the little girl who brought her tatty grey cardboard K9 with her. It had clearly seen better days and was falling to bits. The “real” K9 nearly ran it over as part of its walkies. A lot of fancy dress on show – oodles of 4th / 5th Doctors walking around, and a Tegan in purple air hostess uniform whose face looked the spitting image Leela. Bizarre! My favourite was Cassandra. Okay, so she wasn’t real, but she was being wheeled around by 2 men in white lab coats.

Paul Darrow was first to man the B7 autograph table, followed half an hour later by Gareth Thomas. I was shocked by how old and frail Gareth looked. I know they’re all getting on a bit now, but the difference in Gareth was very noticeable. Brian Croucher & Stephen Greif sat on opposite ends of the autograph table. Well you can’t have two Travis’ sat next to each other can you?

I got a chance to speak to Mike Holoway before the Q&A Tomorrow People set. A really nice fella with unfeasibly dark hair for a man of his age, and a penchant for Miami Vice-style jacket and trousers. He told me (later confirmed at the Q&A session) that IF the new Tom Peeps gets commissioned for a second series, then he’ll get to play a cameo role. During the Q&A session, Nicholas Young told us that he’d auditioned for the role of Tim, hoping to honour Phillip Gilbert’s memory. Alas it wasn’t to be! He said he was very daunted when he first stepped on set, but the other cast made him feel so welcome that he soon settled into the role. Although he kept turning around when someone said “John”. Force of habit I suppose! Much hilarity all round when Sammie Winmill reminisced about the time she helped Stephen to come out. It’s “break out” dear! Peter Vaughn-Clarke admitted that he had a “man shed” where he keeps all his old Look-In magazines featuring The Tom Peeps. I put my hand up to ask a question, and was wondering why the roving mike wasn’t working. It turns out I speaking through the wrong end. Oh the shame!!! The whole session is planned to be put up on Facebook soon, so I can re-live the embarrassment all over again!

And so to the B7 Q&A session. Let me get the bad stuff out of the way first – Jan Chappell! What was her problem?? Her opening line was “if anyone starts taking photos I’ll personally fine you £30,000”. Charming! She remained quite spikey throughout the session. The bloke sat next to me on the front row rested a camera on his knees. He was clearly recording the session. Brave man! Did Jan spot it? Oh hell yes! She grabbed the roving mike, left the stage, asked the fella to say what is name was, and why was he recording the session. Even when the session was over, she and her PA cornered this poor lad and demanded she have his camera. There’s a fine line between rebuke and harassment, and you crossed it big style Jan. Not impressed!

Happily, the rest of the team were very lovely. Paul Darrow and Brian Croucher were a very funny double act and bounced off each others comments. Give them a comedy show, now! Sally Knyvette said she was enjoying the audios a lot more than the original TV series – no lines to learn or sets to stumble through (although she confessed to not enjoying the solo audio she did recently – we’re with you there Sally!) Brian admitted that he hasn’t got the knack yet of audio acting. Stephen Greif said that he couldn’t believe he left it so long to attend conventions, as he loves every minute of them. Gareth answered questions put to him with warmth, charm and wit. He didn’t seem to take much interest in any of his co-stars questions. He wasn’t being rude …. just economical with his energy! Both Sally & Jan said they disliked much of June Hudson’s work. Jan also said she was blacklisted by the BBC for allegedly attacking a Dresser. After that afternoon’s performance I could well believe it!

John Leeson gave a good half-hour talk about his life as an actor luvvie. He displayed a really good knowledge of Who, referencing many stories throughout his tales. He was very dismissive of brief stint in Crossroads though, which naturally didn’t go down well with yours truly. I’ll forgive him though!

I was fortunate enough to be sat next to Andrew Cartmel on the train to Leicester, so we shared a taxi to the venue and mostly talked about the NHS!

The second day was very disappointing. I didn’t realise that the tickets for the Q&As were on a first come first served basis (although you pre-paid for the event, you still had to queue for your entry pass for each session). So I had a leisurely breakfast … and by the time I joined the queue, the Q&A sessions for Red Dwarf and Doctor Who were all fully subscribed. Curses!!!!

I’ll post some photos in the next few days…..

It sounds like you had a great time Dave. Interesting to hear about Mike Bell being in the TP next year if it gets a second series. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, because it'd be great to see him back in action.

Who'd have thought Jan Chappell was such a diva? he behaviour sounds outrageous! That poor guy- yes he broke the rules, but he didn't deserve to be quite so humiliated in front of everyone.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Default Brit Sci-Fi Convention March 2014

I don't recognise the tall one - maybe he's in the new series?

Some photies from the event

How very apt - a dalek gun!

A reverential dalek - bow to your superior!

Oops - already posted that one!

The actual conversation between between Dalek and UNIT soldier went like this:-

Soldier: How are you?
    Dalek: Bored
    Soldier: I'm on till 2pm
    Dalek: Do you want to grab some lunch?

Wow - they had some great props on display. And members of the cast of The Tomorrow People.

I particularly like the 'Do Not Touch' notice under the Spider. It looks a lot creepier than it did on TV and I'm already disinclined to go anywhere near it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!