Default 50th Anniversary - Questions!

50 years of Doctor Who! Now done and dusted. Taking the Anniversary as the whole of the year 2013, (rather than Nov 23 2013 to Nov 23 2014) here are a few questions forming a sort of poll.

We were told that the celebrations would "Take over TV". Do you feel that Doctor Who achieved that?

What was your favourite new Doctor Who episode of the 50th Annviersary Year?

What was the best non-show Doctor Who related program on TV for 2013?

What was the biggest surprise?

What was the biggest disappointment?

What was the saddest moment?

Which actor playing the Doctor on TV in 2013 was your favourite?

Answers will be fed to the pet Zygon.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

We were told that the celebrations would "Take over TV". Do you feel that Doctor Who achieved that?

No, although more of an effort was made in the week running up to the anniversary. BSB's Doctor Who Weekend back in 1990 was what I called "taking over tv".

Day Of The Doctor

The Fiveish Doctors

Capaldi's brief appearance in DOTD. Not Tom's, because I'd expected some sort of appearance from a classic Doctor.

The patchiness of the previous season. Rushed/poorly structured storylines which would have greatly benefitted by being fleshed out was the most annoying thing, imo. It was just a season which promised so much but failed to deliver, on the whole, despite a few high points.

Seeing the abuse Phillip Morris was getting (and still is) from some quarters regarding the apparent stalling with news of missing episodes.

He maybe didn't appear on BBC1, but the Red Button counts as tv in my book so it's Paul McGann.

Not really. Actually, I think all in all it did pretty darned well but it's daft to overhype something like that.

What was your favourite new Doctor Who episode of the 50th Anniversary Year?

I've got to agree with Mac, it was The Day of the Doctor. Not just because the competition wasn't all that great, but because actually it was a perfect way to mark the anniversary, I loved it. It managed to tick so many boxes, from rewriting the Time War to quoting Terrance Dicks, that it was just great. It's the only Moffat era ep' I've watched three times (so far!!) which is saying something.

Again, Mac's already said it!

The return of Paul McGann, in The Night of the Doctor. It even knocked the answer 'finding Web of Fear & Enemy of the World' into second place. (And 'Peter Capaldi IS the Doctor' into third)

I'm with Mac on this as well. The first half of season 7 was really good, but the episodes aired in 2013 just seemed to let the side down. The Crimson Horror was a wonderful exception, and possibly The Name of the Doctor although I'm still undecided on that... but the other episodes were all poor fare to a greater or lesser extent IMHO. Even Hide which should have been great somehow lacked... something.

For all the excitement about Capaldi, I'd say it's got to actually be Matt's decision to leave. I'm still not convinced that in years to come we won't look back and wish we'd had some more of him. Imagine only having three years of Tom - think of all we'd have missed there!

Crikey, quite a tough one. I still can't quite get over the magical cameo of Tom in the anniversary special, but (quite unfairly to all the splendid alternative answers) I'm going for John Hurt. He pitched that performance so well, a big name actor could have come in and stole the show or overshadowed everything else, but he didn't, he just got it so perfectly right. I still reckon that if you didn't really know anything about the show, other than a vague sense that there have been lots of different Doctors, you'd just assume John Hurt had been the Doctor back in the past and that, just like Tennant, he was back for one night only. He was that good. (Although, of course, honourable mention for Mr Tennant, who managed to slip back into the part so effortlessly it was as if they'd dug up some footage from 2008 or something.)

It was somewhat of an exaggeration, but I'm glad about that. I'm a fan and it was overkill and saturation for me at some points.

Name of the Doctor. Day was brilliant to see on the big screen, but not quite up to Name for me. And I wanted Night of the Doctor to be an hour long episode.

Does 5ish Doctors count as 'on TV'?

Paul McGann. No. John Hurt. Or Paul. Yes, Paul. Or John. Grrrr! John Hurt. Just.

Matt leaving.

Seeing Mark Gatiss' name on a writing credit.

Hurt. No, McGann.... or Hurt...

Answers will be fed to the pet Zygon. [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Saville View Post
    Does 5ish Doctors count as 'on TV'?
    If you stream it to your tv it does! Ot connct a pc/laptop to the tv with an HDMI cable...