Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Life through a Fish Eye Lens - The Thriller Thread

So my new Sunday night viewing is that there Brian Clemens ATV series from the 70's

"Someone At The Top of the Stairs" by Brian Clemens

This had a very "Children of the Stones" type atmosphere, with all the tenants from the same house sharing some very creepy traits. Instead of "Happy Day" we had "Marvelous", and THE creepiest child actor ever (Alan Roberto). Overall the story had a tense pacing, but the climax didn't quite have the impact I was expecting. Still a creepy tail though. 8/10.

"Echoes of Theresa" by Brian Clemens

You know things are bad when you get your wife's name wrong! Interesting psychological thriller as we try to unravel why Mr Hunter (no not THAT one!) keeps getting flashbacks of a life that wasn't even his!

Dinsdale Landon plays the Private Dick who is suave and arrogant in equal measures. 7/10 nice try for me, although I was on the each of my seat more for last week's story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Life through a Fish Eye Lens - The Thriller Thread

"The Colour of Blood" by Brian Clemens

An all-British cast (there's usually one American actor lobbed in!) headed by the chap who played George & Mildred's next door neighbour. In this ep he plays a psychotic killer who accidentally gets hooked up with a pretty young solicitor.

There's a plot twist two thirds of the way through that's simply delicious. This story also made heavy use of the old British Rail carriages. Made me quite nostalgic!

8.5/10

"Murder in Mind" by Brian Clemens

Another ingenious plot from Mr C involving a neurotic woman confessing to a murder that hasn't happened. But will it happen soon? The police is in this story are straight from the Dixon of Dock Green mould, but I did like the cynical Desk Sergeant and the crusty Superintendent! This being the 70s, there was brown bed sheets and not a duvet in sight!

A very suspenseful thriller, just let down slightly by the rushed and predictable ending.

A murderous 8/10.

"A Place To Die" by Brian Clemens & Terence Feely

File this one under "weird villagers turn exceedingly nasty" when a Doctor and his nervy young wife arrive in the village. Guest stars include Arnold Ridley and Harold "Young Mr Grace" Bennett.

Not many surprises in the story, but still fairly creepy & suspenseful.

6.5/10

"Spell of Evil" by Brian Clemens & Terence Feely

You never know what you're going to get with this anthology - murder mystery or supernatural murder mystery. This one was deffo the latter, as a Company Boss advertises in a Lonely Hearts column, only to find her turning up before the ad appeared in the newspaper.

We had the beigest sofa ever, with a massive fireplace at knee-level!

"Only A Scream Away" by BC & TF

First of all, these titles - they're naff! They don't describe the story at all. So I'm going to start re-naming them. Henceforth, this episode is now "Children of Blood".

Hayley Mills is in this one, playing a newlywed whose friends and family all seem to be snuffing it. Who is responsible? Well it's pretty obvious who's responsible actually, and the audience realise this WAY before Ms Mills does, which sort of dampens down the tension. Despite that - it's a decent story!

7.5/10

"Once The Killing Starts" by BC

As it's set in Oxford Uni, I prefer to call is "Murder By Degree". A killer starts getting blackmail letters. A very taut thriller with a totally unexpected ending - a solid 9/10 from me!

"Kiss Me and Die" by BC & TF

Strange goings on in a country house, with a very bizarre Edgar Allen Poe-themed party and all the locals acting very mysteriously. Especially the rat-catcher. I know, I'll call it "To Catch A Rat". Oh gang on, that sounds familiar.....

Stephen Greif is in this episode - and rather sinister he is too. And what's this - A Rentaghost fan-club?

The pace was a bit stodgy, but the climax was rather good.

7/10

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    ...but the climax was rather good.
    I like a good climax, don't you?

"One Deadly Owner" by BC.

Or as I call it "The Car's The Star". This story enters paranormal territory as the spirit of the previous owner of a Rolls Royce tries to influence the new driver. Yes it is that weird. Donna Mills (back for her second Thriller) is a bit dull - good job Jeremy Brett is there to liven things up!

6/10

"Ring Once for Death" by TF & BC

Or "The Butler Did It". Michael Jayston is in superb, sinister form as a corrupt butler who knocks his unsuspecting employers off. The thrills in this one are watching how and when he gets caught, as we all know he's the guilty party from the outset. A very gripping story - one of the best so far!

9.5/10

"K is for Killing" by BC and Terry Nation, directed by Peter Moffatt

Or "MacMillan and Wife" as this was clearly an attempt pilot a new husband and wife detective team. It nearly works too - the chemistry between them is corny but entertaining, as the duo are hired to prevent a business magnate from being killed after an unsuccessful first attempt. An extra point for this marvellous bonce:-

But minus two points for Christopher Cazenove's dickie

No wonder he looks so aghast.

That title - I see BC likes to recycle them. There was even a blonde, mature lady called Mrs Gale in this story.....

6/10

"Sign it Death" by BC & TF

Or "Psycho Secretary". Patrick Allen plays a charismatic (that voice!) but blissfully unaware boss who has taken on an ultra-efficient Temp who turns out to be very handy with a pair of scissors. A great opening scene which sets the tense tone for the rest of the story. One of the best so far!

9/10

"Who Killed Lamb?" by Anthony Skene

This is very much an oddity as it isn't a Thriller story (no involvement by BC, music not by Laurie Johnson and made by Yorkshire not ATV!! However for some bizarre reason it was put in the Thriller slot and badged as Thriller.

They needn't have bothered. It's a very slow story that doesn't really hold much interest apart from the last 10 minutes. Guest appearances by Peter Sallis and John Challis pep things up. But not by much.

4/10

"A Coffin For The Bride" by Brian Clemens

AKA "Valeyard's Vendetta". A star-studded return to form for the start of Series 3. Helen Mirren, Arthur English, Tony Steedman and Michael Jayston playing the archetypal villain that he does so well. It took me a while to spot "the twist" but it was all rather delicious!

9.5/10

"I'm The Girl He Wants To Kill" by Brian Clemens

Oh yes - my fave story of the series so far. Superbly tense, as a killer stalks an office building, hunting down the woman who recognises him from a previous murder. He bears an uncanny resemblance to Robert Robinson too!

There are large portions during the tense bits where there is no backing music at all. Plus, the killer never speaks at all which all adds to the dramatic impact. If you want to dip your toe in the Thriller world, then watch this one!

9.5/10

Oh yes, and Tony Selby is in it too!

"Death to Sister Mary" by Brian Clemens

An impressive cast - Robert Powell, Jennie Linden, Derek Fowlds and even Windsor Davies!

The story does suffer from a lack of tension, as it's perfectly clear who is stalking the actress portraying Sister Mary. But the setting on a TV studio is interesting - wonder if it's the same studios as Crossroads?

6/10

"In the Steps of a Deadman" by Brian Clemens

Christopher Benjamin is in this one briefly (playing a medical officer), but it's Richard Vernon who steals the show in this one playing an utterly sympathetic father who has lost his son whilst on army duties. The ending is, once again, totally out of the blue, but very satisfying!

7.5/10

"Come Out Come Out Wherever You Are" by Brian Clemens

Bernard Holley and Peter Jeffrey in this one. Jeffrey playing a good guy for once! Albeit a good guy with a serious attitude problem! A marvellous main setting - looked like a lived in Motley Hall. You're always trying to work out the ending with these stories. Damn you Clemens - you thwarted me again!

8/10

"The Next Scream You Hear" by Brian Clemens.

The character of Mr Earp (from the first series) makes a return as the suave, inciteful Private Dick investigating Mr Peel's framing of his wife's murder ..... Mrs Peel. Sounds awfully familiar! There's even a fencing scene reminiscent of Town of No Return. Richard Todd guest stars in this one. Not bad.

7/10

"Screamer" by Brian Clemens

First disc of the second box! Apart from the one-dimensional Detective with the Shredded Wheat combover, this story was full of tense moments, as neurotic Nicky keeps imagining seeing the man who attacked her. No wonder she screams a lot! Thank goodness Kate Hamilton from Crossroads is there to calm things down.

7/10

Looking forward to the next episode - Diana Dors is in it!

"Nurse Will Make It Better" by Brian Clemens

Diana Dors is in this one - and she smokes a pipe! Oh and this chap's in it too

Unfortunately this story tips too much into the supernatural. Which is fine for Hammer House of Horror, but less so for this format. However, Diana Dors makes this story very watchable!

6/10

We watched the first episode last night. Nicely acted story with Robert Powell and Linda Thorsen, but it was probably a bit too long and a little on the predictable side.

The best bit was the insane orchestral stab into the ad breaks and the alternate American titles which were a little batshit crazy!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.