Default Cuppa tea and slice o'cake - The Worzel Thread

Worzel Gummidge. Perfect breakfast viewing. The first half must have been quite scary to watch as a kid, as Worzel comes to life in the pouring rain. I didn't recognise Mike Berry at first - but he was in glasses wearing a cloth cap.

It was a different era back then - kids being left alone in the caravan for most of the evening. Although he didn't have that many scenes, Jon Pertwee was fantastic of course. You can see why he loved the character so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you watching it from the start, Dave? I can remember watching the show as a kid, and really enjoying it - I think everyone did at the time! Especially when Worzel has different heads, a really great performance from our Jon.

Yep I certainly am Andrew :-) I didn't really watch it regularly as a kid, and I'm already enchanted by the first ep! I just remember Aunt Sally being really, really cruel! I guess the family features less and less as the first season progresses?

I can speak Worzeleze - especially after a few glasses of wine. Love the hedgehog hairbrush, and the fact that beds have feelings cos they are also made of straw!

I'm very fond of Old Worzel. I think the series holds up very well because the writing is so damn good. Thye scripts are both very funny and very poignant at times and you can see Jon Pertwee loving every minute of playing it all. Also there are amazing guest stars most weeks too!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Worzel Gummidge. Perfect breakfast viewing. The first half must have been quite scary to watch as a kid, as Worzel comes to life in the pouring rain. I didn't recognise Mike Berry at first - but he was in glasses wearing a cloth cap.

It was a different era back then - kids being left alone in the caravan for most of the evening. Although he didn't have that many scenes, Jon Pertwee was fantastic of course. You can see why he loved the character so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Are you watching it from the start, Dave? I can remember watching the show as a kid, and really enjoying it - I think everyone did at the time! Especially when Worzel has different heads, a really great performance from our Jon.
    I loved Worzel when I was young. I've not seen any since so I'll probably trawl youtube for some. I foresee a new thread coming on.

Default Cuppa tea and slice o'cake - The Worzel Thread

Thread created after great demand

First appearance of Aunt Sally today! Cruel from the start - taunting Worzel because of his fear of fire, and calling him ugly and stupid. Played with wonderfully evil relish by Una Stubbs of course (with cheeks not quite at their full rosyness yet!)

Also lovely to see the great Joan Sims in it as well!

Joan Sims is in many episodes. She's great fun!

There are so many episodes of this show I love. I've watched the whole series through more than a few times down the years, and I think it tsands up very well indeed. The quality of the writing is amazing- it's funny and poignant and moving. Jpn Pertwee holds it all together in the performance of his life. Much as we love his Doctor, I think Worzel is probably his crowing achievement.

I just wish someone would clean it up, give it a proper looking lovely release. it deserves it.

I agree Si - it's very grainy film!

Old Worzel had his 'andsome 'ead on this morning:-

Downright scary head more like! But as The Crowman pointed out, you have to be handsome on the inside too! A lovely sympathetic performance from Geoffrey Bayldon in this ep.

Terry-Thomas on a bad day...?

And the guest stars keep turning up! Mr Rumbold is the Headmaster!

What with Mike Berry already in the series, this is a real AYBS? treat! I wonder if this led to Mike being cast as Mr Spooner?

I think it's fair to say that Jon and Una had a ball making the episode "Worzel Pays A Visit", as they lob cakes, eggs and water at each other at Bloomsbury-Barton Hall. And there were a LOT of cakes!!

Worzel & Aunt Sally exited Series 1 in style with their Scarecrow Hop (aided by old Worzel's dancing 'ead of course). I love Una's wooden movements as she walks. Bill Pertwee guest-starred in this one. Keep it in the family I suppose!

Poor Worzel- he got so close to getting Aunt Sally then too.