Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Out of the Unknown finally coming to DVD in Sept 2014!

The long-awaited and much-anticipated release of the surviving episodes of the 60s/70s science fiction/horror anthology series 'Out of the Unknown' has been announced by the BFI. It's getting a release alongside the highly-acclaimed 1976 serial 'The Changes' and a 1978 play called 'Red Shift'.

Some long sought after BBC science fiction titles – all coming to DVD for the very first time – are among the highlights of the BFI’s Blu-ray and DVD schedule for August and September 2014. Forming part of the BFI’s forthcoming, nationwide sci-fi celebrations, these rarely seen gems from the BBC archives are sure to send both nostalgic and futuristic thrills down the spines of classic British television fans and dedicated followers of fantasy filmmaking.

Out of the Unknown – a 6-DVD box set compiling all surviving episodes, along with some fragments, from the legendary BBC2 anthology series, with episodes written by such luminaries of the genre as John Wyndham, Ray Bradbury and J G Ballard – first broadcast between 1965 and 1971 (September)

The Changes – a 2-DVD set of the intense, techno-phobic 1976 series, based on Peter Dickinson’s best-selling trilogy of books (August)

Red Shift – a classic 1978 BBC Play for Today, directed by John Mackenzie (The Long Good Friday) and adapted by Alan Garner (The Owl Service) from his own fantasy novel (September)
    I have long been intrigued by this series and I remember a couple of VHS releases were planned in the early 1990s when BBC Video briefly started raiding its cult television archives, although those tapes never materialised. I believe it has been victim to rights issues for a long time, probably because the episodes were written or adapted by so many different authors, including the likes of Isaac Asimov and John Wyndham, as well as Nigel Kneale, Robert Holmes and John Wiles. Thankfully, it seems, those issues have been cleared.

There are only 17 surviving episodes, plus a few other fragments, but hopefully all of the existing material will be included on this set. I have seen a couple of very poor quality episodes on YouTube but even then, it looked like a high quality series. I'm very excited about this, so I might just ask for it as a (slightly belated) birthday present!

I'd really like to see The Changes - even though a couple of years ago someone kindly spoiled the ending for me.

It's a good series- well the bits I've seen anyway. It's a little slow, a bit creaky in places and some of the episodes are a bit too long for their stories, but there's always something of worth in them- and usually some excellent design work, brilliant radiophonics and of course a fabulous title sequence (with music by Doctor Who's first incidental music composer, Norman Kay). Can't wait to see it in better quality!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Can't wait either - sounds like a great release

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to seeing The Changes too. It has a very funky Radiophonic Workshop score by Paddy Kingsland.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's a little slow, a bit creaky in places and some of the episodes are a bit too long for their stories
    I know the feeling!

Is OOTU the series in which The Mind Robber's white robots first appeared? I've been intrigued for a long time by the thought of seeing something from this series.

It is, though sadly that episode is one of the many missing ones.

*gnashing of teeth*

Equally frustrating is the fact that the episode in which the Daleks make their first appearance in colour, 'Get Off My Cloud' is also missing.

Have any OOTU fans started attacking Phillip Morris yet, to accuse him of holding on to missing episodes?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The set has been moved to October now, after it was disocvored there were many more fragments of episodes, audios and surviving titles than was orginally thought. Members of the Restoration team are helping out compiling the set now, which is great news.

Disappointment at the delay is far outweighed by the news of more discoveries!

I hope they include the episode with the white robots! Philip Morris is tormenting me by not releasing it! If he doesn't release it soon I shall go round to his house I shall start SPEAKING IN CAPITAL LETTERS to him, and other rubbish like that.

I've just noticed the "As seen on the BBC" caption on the cover art....a great selling point for anyone over the age of 50.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The BBC certainly didn't have that logo when they were originally shown!

I am very much looking forward to this. It's on my Christmas list, should be great to watch on dark and dreary nights. We've tried a few via a RareTV website and there were some truly excellent stories. But because the quality wasn't so good, some of them were almost unwatchable. I'm hoping these will be nice and clean!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It'll be on my list too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I'm hoping these will be nice and clean!
    Tim isn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Tim isn't...
    I resemble that remark!

Default Out of the Unknown is out today -

Review feature up on The Arts Desk for a week-long series of sci-fi features. This feature puts the best of the surviving Out of the Unknown episodes at the sci-fi pinnacle alongside 60s 70s Doctor Who. Or: how cgi and digital destroyed imagination....

http://www.theartsdesk.com/tv/sci-fi-week-out-unknown

Mr Southall gives it a good review for Starburst magazine as well

The documentary was brilliant- some reallty lovely recollections from people you don't often see interviewed about archive telly and some familiar Who faces there too). A real labour of love.

Having seen most of the first season before, we did one of the commentaries yesterday and as always Toby Hadoke came up with the goods splendidly. He's so good at getting the best out of the commentators- it didn't falg for a minute and still felt like there was much more to say.

Apart from the recons which I still have left to watch, I finished the set last night. All ranging from enjoyable to excellent - although the last two colour episodes were a little dull. Looking forward to the documentary now.

Recommended.

We picked up at Series 2, because we'd already seen all of the episodes up until The Machine Stops. The recons we've seen are surprisingly watchable, even if there are generally about 4-5 photos existing for each episode! The Naked Sun and The Yellow Pill were both very entertaining.

The first episode of Series 4 (To Lay A Ghost, I think?) was a very nasty, sexist piece of television that seemed to advocate wife-beating. Bizarre.

Our favourite has to be Tunnel Under The World though. Absolutely mad!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Tunnel was particularly good, and yes, To Lay A Ghost is a tricky one when viewed in the modern age. I enjoyed it though, if that's the right word.