View Poll Results: Should Big Finish continue monthly Doctor Who releases?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've stopped buying altogether and don't care

1 33.33%
  • I want to see more boxsets and an end to single story releases

1 33.33%
  • I think all the DW spin-offs should be wound down in favour of new ranges

0 0%
  • The more DW the better! They can take my money any day of the week!

1 33.33%

Default And still they come! 15 years on is it time for Big Finish to reduce their Doctor Who output?

Are any of us still willingly purchasing every Doctor Who release from Big Finish, are we more selective or have we given up altogether? Is it perhaps time for BF to stop the monthly releases and concentrate instead on box set releases every quarter or even half a year? What do we all think?

Ending or reducing the monthly range is unlikely to happen but the fact is these days I'm mainly drawn to boxsets such as the Dark Eyes series. Even though I'm now massively behind with the monthly range my next purchases are most likely to be Charlotte Pollard Series 1 and the new adventures of Bernice Summerfield.

As a bit of an aside, those of us who could do with the boring but neccessary food- or clothing-related purchases in life would still like to dip in occasionally. Sadly, the boxsets/seasons/trilogies make this a little more difficult.

As I came to the BF Universe quite late, I'm enjoying some of the older stories so can't really comment on the regular Who monthly range. The third series of FDA has been consistently good, but I must admit to preferring their Blake's 7 and Avengers range! Mind you, I have listened to quite a few of the Who Companion Chronicles and liked them on the whole!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm strongly of the opinion that Quality Control long since went out of the window at Big Finish. There's the occasional good one, but by and large there's no compulsion for me to keep up with all the ranges. The Tom stories are fun, but it seems like he's only been doing it a short while and we're already swamped with dozens of releases.

Less is more!

That said, I'd happily listen to them all if there was time. But there are so many other things I could be doing instead of listening to yet another BF Audio. Books, music - even other audio plays. If I was doing long car journeys I might consider it, but then again I might get some good talking books out from the library.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

especially for the following...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Less is more!

That said, I'd happily listen to them all if there was time. But there are so many other things I could be doing instead of listening to yet another BF Audio. Books, music - even other audio plays. If I was doing long car journeys I might consider it, but then again I might get some good talking books out from the library.

There will never be time to catch up with them all now. Even if they stopped, we never would. Once you get out of the habit, it's very difficult to get back into listening to them.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I have a little pile I have to get started on too, and I don't have the excuse of a thousand of the blighters to polish off!

I bought every one of the first 50 CDs (Sirens of Time to Zagreus) when they first came out but a change in personal circumstances forced me to stop.
    When I acquired a PC capable of handling downloads in 2010 (and an I-pod) that changed. I bought the EDAs (McGann and Smith) as I'd heard them on radio and wanted to hear then again but I also recognised that as much as I would like to acquire every Doctor Who audio I simply didn't have the time to listen to them all.
    So I've browsed my way through the ranges almost at random, listening to trailers and picking out the ones that catch my interest. Most of the ones I've purchased have been worth the price, a few have been pure gold and a few complete dross. The usual statistical bell curve.
    Should they cut the monthly range in favour of more box sets? As long as the monthly releases keep selling well it wouldn't be wise to cut them. And as long as the majority of the buyers are happy with the standard of the scripts and performances then the monthly series will continue. As to the spin-off series, two have been/ are being cut this year (Iris Wildthyme and Companion Chronicles) and two are being introduced (Charlie Pollard and Early Adventures). And non-DW series are in the pipeline as well as BF tries to expand its market share (it's a business after all, they're in it for the money as much as for the love of DW).

Corks - I forgot to mention the Jago & Litefoot range. That's rather good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a lot of the early ones, then consistently bought each one every month when the Paul McGann ones started coming out. They were a great filler for the gap between the TV Movie and the Eccleston series and gave me my Who fix. I dropped off buying them from number 60ish onwards and then life circumstances changed and I couldn't afford to shell out the cost every month. The new series started and I guess that finished me off Big Finish wise as well.
    I do dip in and out sometimes usually when I find them in dodgy places (they often pop on youtube for a short time before they get taken down!) But the sheer number of releases is just very confusing. And companions? No idea about those. The prices also started to creep up too. £16 is quite a lot to shell out on something you don't know the quality of. And downloads are far too expensive as well. If they were cheaper I'd be tempted to buy those.