Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

synchronous log in widgets
    I've got a cream for that.

I've noticed this too. I still regularly visit, but find less and less here to comment on (as the vicious circle gathers pace), and am probably at a stage of my life where I have less I feel I need to say (if that makes sense). There was even a page header/banner I noticed the other day actually telling me I hadn't posted anything for a while!

And another factor for me is that I avoid all spoilers DW wise, so that removes me from a large chunk of conversation.

I'll keep popping by though!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I had no idea this place was in such trouble! I do like it a lot. I visit every day. OK then, maybe more than every day, and have often wondered why there hasn't been many posts to read.
    And if I find something about the show on Facebook or elsewhere, it's my mission to post it here as well.
    Maybe you could make a game of it?
    Can You Post Information On DVDs And The New Series Before Dino?
    Not so much spoilers, but when guests are announced in the newspapers etc; that's fair game!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Saville View Post
    It's not just here, most web forums and bulletin boards have struggled/folded as the onslaught of social media has rendered them close to redundant. Facebook is a one stop shop for most users, and the thought of logging in to multiple sites for most people is too much like hard work (even with synchronous log in widgets).

I personally hate Facebook, and won't use it. It's invasive and insidious. However, it can be used as a tool. The first rule is, if you want to bring people here, is don't post direct to Facebook. Add a social network bookmark/like toolbar here. Post your great stuff here and then share it direct from here. That's one way to potentially drive more traffic this way.

I come here a few times a week, but as has been said there's often nothing new that grabs me. Like a fair few I've been here since the dawn of the old EZBoard, and so much as I love and respect the place I often move on without posting, sorry to say.

I would though be really sorry to see it go. And if it goes over to Facebook, it'd be nice if a few of you dear people said 'bye' before you go. Cos estranged or otherwise, you're still family.
    I'd disagree a bit with that Mike. I know of one or two forums that are still going strong. As for this place I'd put it down to a number of reasons

1) The DVD range finishing

2) The lack of information about the upcoming series

3) An unwillingness by people to post on here regularly to which I plead guilty to

A concerted effort by all to make more of an effort posting may be enough to kick-start things. I think it was Si who said earlier that there was a problem trying to think of new topics because so many had already been covered. But the other side of the coin is, where's the harm in revisiting popular old topics? Many popular topics were done years ago and time has passed, opinions might have changed in the intervening years. I'll maybe see if I can dust off the results from the old PS Vortex polls from years ago and see if we can bring it up to date, for example. Compare the PS all-time list with the DWM one. Maybe do it all again from scratch, if need be! I think the last time we did it was midway through Tennant's era. Maybe even some plain old 'What are you favourite....' threads or 'Top Ten Story' threads....there's nothing wrong with back-to-basics stuff at times, even if it seems old hat and we've seen it all before. As long as it keeps things ticking over...

That's a great idea- feel free to start it and we'll see where it goes.

Please everyone, don't be afraid to start things and see where they go. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, you never know what might take off. There does seem to be a general fear of starting new things here- maybe we all need to start a thread and see what happens!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Can't really add much as everyone seems to have covered it. I'm another one who's guilty of not contributing as much as I intended to.... I need to be cloned so that I can fit everything in that I'd like to do.
    Just an aside..... I never see Si Hunt here now. I know he stepped down as admin, but he was always such a great contributor. Hope he's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    That's a great idea- feel free to start it and we'll see where it goes.

I second that. I'll join in. I liked the old Survivor threads that Paul Clement did too. Although I can't quite remember how it worked....

I'm very chuffed that Nyder's Fiendish Festive Quiz seems to go down quite well. But that's only once a year, so yes, we do need some new ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m definitely guilty of not posting here very much. I do have a browse every weekday during lunch and occasionally post here and there, but I’ll only post if I have something worth saying, if that makes sense (some may argue that on this basis I should never post at all…). It will be no surprise to most that I’m a bigger fan of the classic series than I am of the new series, so I will never be posting as much when the new series is on as most members. Whilst I’m happy to post a brief response after each episode has aired, I’m not really a fan of the in-depth discussion on detailed plot points as I start to lose interest at this point. Because of this, there seems little point in my posting in those sorts of threads as my brief comments tend to get lost in amongst the huge swathes of discussion between other posters. I’m afraid I’m also inherently lazy, and I much prefer to discuss the new series in more depth face to face with other PS members when we meet up. It would be a great, great shame if PS were to disappear, but I’ve met so many great people through being part of the forum for the last 10 years, most of whom I would class as friends, so selfishly I would still have that connection.

Could anyone class friendship as "selfish"? Or concern over something which either brought us together or kept that friendship going in the case of those of us who met on the BBC boards? If it were, we wouldn't be having this conversation - we'd hardly have got off ezBoard.

Like others lately I've also had a certain apathy when it comes to posting here, but it's been for personal reasons as we've had one hell of a year up to now.
    Like Mike I don't like Facebook, I think it's a poisonous, vindictive place, I do however use it but the account I have is an old one of Viv's (that's why my name of there is craft-y-nan) and I won't change it or create an account of my own. I don't post to it that much and most of the stuff I do post is you tube links to 70s music vids, I won't put anything of a personal nature on there as I think it's too open a platform.
    Anyway, back to those personal reasons for not posting here in the last six months. My daughter Amy and Son-in-law Rob had been having problems, we should have known something was wrong at Christmas as things then were a bit tense, but come February things came to a head when Rob stabbed Amy in the leg after a big argument. What we could glean out of Amy was that she had been carrying on and flirting with other boys openly in front of Rob, she'd even gone away to a friends and met up with, and had sex with, another boy. We gathered that Rob just snapped under extreme provocation. Anyway, Rob spent the best part of two months in Cardiff prison, later sentencing gave him a two year suspended sentence and 120 hours community service. Amy and Rob had by then split and Amy has opened divorce proceedings and moved back home with us, and Rob has moved back to Newton Abbot with his parents.
    Anyway, the story has since become more involved, it seems that Rob had been systematically beating Amy for the last ten years, she has said nothing about it in all that time, nor has she shown any indication of being a "battered wife", had we known about this sooner we could all have done something to help. Amy can tell us now that she didn't want to marry him but he forced her into it and she was afraid to tell anyone about it.
    What we've all gone through in the last six months has been unbelievable, I'm not used to police coming around to my house, nor all the official documents and stuff we've seen that goes with it.
    Amy's on the sick with depression, it hasn't stopped her picking up with other boys though, I'm quite disgusted with her behaviour. We've had arguments with her about it and think we've finally got through to her, she seems settled at the moment with a young French guy from Cardiff university, I met him a few weeks ago, he seems nice enough and he's coming back here this coming weekend. But in the background there's all the wife beating stuff and divorce proceedings to contend with, sometimes I think she's oblivious to all of that and wants to carry on in her own sweet way.
    We took in a lodger a few weeks ago, a friend of Amy's who was "offering support" yeah right! I wasn't happy about the boy coming here and told Viv I didn't like the idea and I heard allegations of child abuse on Facebook within days of him being here but he brushed it off, as I said, I think Facebook's a poisonous, vindictive place. Anyway, when we went down the caravan for Whitsun week he went off to his brother's and never came back, the day we came home we had a visit from the police asking where he was as he was wanted for questioning on allegations of child abuse. I was so glad he'd already gone, we've not heard from him since.
    Viv's birth mother died a few weeks ago. From an early age Viv knew she was adopted but kept in touch with her eleven brothers and sisters, so when her mother died I took much needed time off work and attended the funeral in Cardiff, the funeral was so big it even made the daily mirror "supergran dies leaving 103 grand children and great grand children" taking up a good half page spread in the paper.
    Well that's just a skim through of all that's gone on, we've had a stressful, tiring time and I know it's not all done with yet. At the moment we just take things day by day waiting to see what's going to be thrown at us next, hopefully soon we'll see light at the end of the tunnel and an end to all the nastiness we've seen in recent months.
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 10th Jun 2014 at 7:47 AM.

Bloody hell Stephen, you're going through it at the moment!

What an awful time you've been having, Stephen. I really hope things turn positive for you very soon.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Oh Stephen, You're going through it. I really hope things do turn around for you all & Amy gets her head on straight.

If venting on here helps then please do so. I know it helped to an extent in my recent troubles.

Blimey! If anyone's had good reason not to post... (And I include Tim in that.)

That's dreadful Stephen. I'm so sorry to read what you've been through. Hope you are able to get Amy back on the right track.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Gosh what a torrid time you've had Stephen with your family. I do hope you can all get through these issues.

Crikey Steve, what a lot you've had to deal with. So sorry to hear about all that. I hope Viv's coping OK too.

Sorry to hear all that, Steve. It must be awful finding out such things going on without your knowledge for such a long time. Hopefully you'll all come through this all the stronger as time goes on.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2