Default I Didn't Know You Cared

Well, I wanted to start a new thread, and I've just settled on my new avatar...

Any fans of this BBC sitcom from the seventies? I've just been watching these, and I'm up to the last episode of S3 (with the last series to go afterwards).

Uncle Mort (played by Robin Bailey) is such a great character, but the show is full of them, from Carter Brandon to Uncle Stavely. Am I right? I am.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

I meant to reply to this ages ago, but forgot.
    Having said that i'm afraid i haven't got much to say about it, aside from that i vaguely remember it from my youth.
    I can picture one character in particular in my mind, & i did a google search, & it's the bloke in this picture:

I can't remember who he is though, but i remember the show being funny.
    Having now found that pic, i recognize 'Nana' from 'The Royle Family'.

Not much to go on, but i hate to see a thread with no replies!

Not seen the programme but I read one of the books in the 80s (Except you're a bird), and listened to a radio adaptation of the first book (A Touch of Daniel) about the same time.

There was also some kind of one-off thing about the Brandon family on in the late 80s, written by Peter Tinniswood, with (I think) Peter Skellern as Carter, and his Dad established as having died. Something to do with them on a visit or expedition somewhere. I think it might have been part of some sort of documentary on Tinniswood, which he'd written for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    There was also some kind of one-off thing about the Brandon family on in the late 80s, written by Peter Tinniswood, with (I think) Peter Skellern as Carter, and his Dad established as having died. Something to do with them on a visit or expedition somewhere. I think it might have been part of some sort of documentary on Tinniswood, which he'd written for it.
    Sounds like 'Uncle Mort's North Country' (and its subsequent sequels), which did have Skellern and Carter (and on Stephen Thorne as Mort ). The basic storyline was Carter having a week of work and going on day trips taking Mort with him.

I remember listening to them many many years ago when we were on a driving holiday to France, and my brother found the original tapes, and sent me copies of MP3. And they're just as entertaining as before
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I meant to reply to this ages ago, but forgot.
    Having said that i'm afraid i haven't got much to say about it, aside from that i vaguely remember it from my youth.
    I only had vague meories too, but have really enjoyed going through them on dvd. The first two series are very strong, the quality dips a little on three & four (as actors/actresses are replaced). I think you'd enjoy them though Wayne.

I can't remember who he is though, but i remember the show being funny.
    That's Les Brandon, the father of the family (who later appeared in Last Of The Summer Wine?) & his wife Annie.

It also featured many other great characters & catchphrases.....
    Uncle Mort

Uncle Stavely....(I heard that, pardon?)

Carter Brandon....(Aye, well, hmmmm....)

...and Linda Preston (you'd like her character I think )

Not much to go on, but i hate to see a thread with no replies!
    Thanks Wayne, it's what they call a 'sleeper hit' I believe.....

Haven't seen the one with Peter Skellern, but I'd be interested in tracking it down, and now, trying out some of the books.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

I might check one out sometime. I'm getting quite into me comedy lately.