View Poll Results: Which series was David Croft's best?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dad's Army

4 50.00%
  • Are You Being Served

1 12.50%
  • It Ain't Half Hot, Mum

1 12.50%
  • Hi-De-Hi

1 12.50%
  • Allo, Allo

1 12.50%
  • You Rang, M'Lord?

0 0%
  • Come Back Mrs Noah

0 0%
  • Oh, Doctor Beecham!

0 0%

Default The TV Series Of David Croft...

This will be the first in a series of polls looking at some of the great names from British TV history. To start us off...David Croft, in partnership with various writers over the years, created some of the greatest (and some not-so-great) comedy series ever to grace British tv screens.

Together with Jimmy Perry he gave us Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-De-Hi, and You Rang, M'Lud? plus with Jeremy Lloyd he gave us Allo, Allo and, of course, Are You Being Served?

But which series do you think is his best? If you were only allowed to ever watch one David Croft series ever again, what would it be?

Dad's Army sticks out a mile for me. It's hard to choose second spot though...it's close between Allo, Allo!, Are You Being Served, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Hi-De-Hi.
    Last edited by MacNimon; 10th Jun 2014 at 5:37 AM. Reason: Mistake Fixed!

I went for Dad's Army. My top 4 would be Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, It Ain't Half Hot, Mum then Hi-De-Hi.

I'm still mulling it over, I just wanted to say that "The TV Series of David Croft" is a great title for a show - akin to "The Mysterious Cabinet of Dr Caligari" or "Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World".

I'm tempted to decide based on theme tune alone...

No real surprises for me - Are You Being Served? is my firm fave! But second and third place... hmm.... my two contenders are Hi-De-Hi and the shamefully ignored It Ain't Half Hot Mum. I'll have a think as to their placings. Let's not mention Come Back Mrs Noah..

Are You Being Served? for me. Dad's Army is probably better overall, but I'm inordinately fond of AYBS and I am unanimous in that.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Tough one. Allo Allo in its heyday was unbeatable, but went on too long (I don't think I've ever worked up the enthusiasm to watch the last series). You Rang M'Lord was very good indeed, but somehow the longer episodes made me twitchy.

I'm going to go for It Ain't Half Hot Mum - partly because (further to my post above) it has the catchiest of theme tunes. Partly because, although all the Perry/Croft/etc sitcoms display superb casting, I'd say that the casting of Windsor Davies in this is probably their finest casting decision ever. And partly because, in addition to being a very funny show (although now doomed to unrepeatability I fear) the final episode was, from memory at least, very poignant - for all the characters, but especially for Windsor Davies' character as without being in a position of authority it became suddenly very clear how empty his life was.

Oh yes, comedy gold!!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Are You Being Served? for me. Dad's Army is probably better overall, but I'm inordinately fond of AYBS and I am unanimous in that.
    Glass of water for Mr Hart...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No contest for me: 'Dad's Army'. Even though it was mostly Jimmy Perry's creation.

When my Father-in-law passed away earlier this year, his complete Dad's Amy boxset was given to me but I have yet to watch it. I did enjoy the show when it was on TV but my vote goes for Hi-De-Hi as it was unmissable.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    No contest for me: 'Dad's Army'. Even though it was mostly Jimmy Perry's creation.
    I was actually going to call the thread "The TV Series Of Jimmy Perry & David Crofft" until it belatedly dawned on me that it wasn't that pairing behind them all...