Default Your Favourite TWO Second Doctor Stories

Thanks to everyone who participated in the First Doctor thread, but now it's time to move on to the second doctor.

What are your favourite TWO second doctor stories and why?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Web of Fear. The base under siege plotline gets a massive dose of tension and atmosphere by being based in the tube tunnels and stations. The Yeti are so incongruous in the setting and that's what makes them much more menacing. Plus it's the story that introduces Lethbridge-Stewart.

Tomb of the Cybermen - Tough call between this and Moonbase but Tomb just edges it. The 60's Cybermen were so much scarier than what came later. The best incidental music in the shows entire history and some great supporting characters make Tomb one oc my all time favourites.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well I spoilt the surprise with mine, but I'll repeat them here. Power & Moonbase :-)

I preferred The Enemy Of The World over The Web Of Fear. What I loved about the first one was it was another different type of story for the show. No monsters, no space travel.
    Just political intrigue and a great guest cast. And I don't think a lookalike plot device would have worked for any other Doctor. OK, apart from Hartnell in The Massacre!
    A lookalike for Tom Baker would have "Most powerful man on the planet... and he's got that hairstyle?!!" for a start.
    I would of loved to have seen Matt Smith play two different characters that look the same.

And for the second choice... The Seeds Of Death. I love it for the 60's vision of the future most of all.

And you never know, we might one day get more second Doctor stories returned!

Well no prizes for guessing my 1st choice...Power of the Daleks. Oh yes, I've loved this since I first saw the Recon...that's how much I love it.

2nd...tough choice, Invasion, Tomb, Enemy, Moonbase, Seeds, Web or Fury? OK, I'm going for Web of Fear.

Oh, definitely Web of Fear, the definitive base under seige story.

The War Games. Long it may be, but it works and it's full of memorable moments and superb characters.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Nice to see a lorra luv for Moonbase :-)

Ooo... The Web of Fear. That was amazing. I mean, Episode 4 is the best single episode of Doctor Who, the Yeti are awesome, the tension keeps going up and up... this was miles away from anything in the Hartnell era. It's so much more slick and ambitious.

And *puts on glasses* The War Games is one of the greatest Doctor Who stories of all time *takes off glasses* 10 episodes and it doesn't drag. I don't think I've ever done it in one sitting, mind. But it's got great characters, both heroes and villains, it's got the hugest final episode of the first decade of the show and it's got Vernon Dobtcheff. Woop.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

You have such good taste!

I'm going for the sugary goodness of The Moonbase and the honeycomb delights of The Tomb of the Cybermen. Lovely.

My first choice may be a surprise to some, but since it was the first Troughton I saw in its entirety, I've always had a soft spot for The Krotons. Second choice is so much harder, though...so many good ones to choose from. I think it's going to be Enemy Of The World, simply because I can't remember the last time I unexpectedly enjoyed a story as much as I did this one.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

I love The Krotons too.

Until recently, I would have put Tomb top of the list but that's relegated to second place now. I like it because it's atmospheric and I particularly like stories where the Doctor and companions have no real place to run to (recent stories like Cold War spring to mind)

But, having waited all these years to see it and they finally find and release it, I have to go for the claustrophobic feel of the Yeti's stomping around on the underground in The Web of Fear. I have only seen it twice now, but it's cemented itself as my favourite Troughton story.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Web of Fear, for most of the reasons mentioned.

And then, cheating somewhat, I'm going for The Five Doctors - since I think the second Doctor gets the lion's share of the good stuff, and Troughton doesn't disappoint.
    Bazinga !

The Web of Fear and The Seeds Of Death. The latter had the Ice Warriors showing particularly good military strategy.

Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Moonbase

Best incarnations of the Cybermen, ever!

Tomb of the cybermen and moonbase. The cybermen look better in these stories than in any other.

Although I've finally purchased a copy of 'The Web of Fear' I've not yet got round to watching it.......I would have done if it weren't for those pesky kids!

So, based on the stories that I have actually seen I would go for:

The Seeds of Death - I really love this story - it's a good planet (and moon base) under siege story. I like the characters of Phipps and Fushum (spelling?) and I love Dudley's excellent score.

The War Games - I've never found this one boring. There are many big characters: Carstairs; War Chief, War Lord, Security Chief, Lady Jennifer etc. I love the idea of switching between different zones - it's probably one of the reasons that the story doesn't drag. There's also the Doctor's brilliant shouting when he's pretending to be a surprise inspector (or something like that) "HOW DARE YOU!!!!!"