Thread: Is Cash Dead?

Default Is Cash Dead?

With the news that London buses will be going cashless on 6th July, you will no longer be able to hop on and pay the driver. You will have to have an Oyster card or a contactless debit card in order to make a journey. The tube will start accepting contactless payment cards at some point within the next 12 - 18 months hence the need to start closing ticket offices.

More and more of us choose to shop on-line using debit & credit cards. Then there's PayPal and bit coin.

So, is cash needed anymore? Or, are you one of the die hards that pefers it when money talks?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I prefer cash...but also see the need/use of cash-less purchasing. On a bus though I can see the benefit in not having cash on the bus. But it is hard on those who will lose jobs in ticket offices. So long as they have at least 1 person in a ticket office in order to help those who have difficulties with their Oyster cards.

I prefer cash...it's just much easier to keep track of what you're spending. Cards are really convenient much of the time, though, but I like having the choice of the different payment methods.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Out of my monthly salary, I only see £30 in cash for snacks, drinks etc. The rest is all done electronically or on plastic. Fortunately, I travel free on buses and tubes so I don't have to worry about them going cashless.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Does nobody care about my chief sources of income any more - bank robbery; "borrowing" tills; the regimental oath trick - "Open your wallet and repeat after me: Help yourself!"?

If cash is being phased out because it's easier to prevent fiscal crime, I daresay it won't - your average crook's always kept up with the latest fiddle. And like Kenny, I like to be able to keep an eye on what i've got simply by opening the wallet. Even if it does take half an hour with all the security measures...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post

If cash is being phased out because it's easier to prevent fiscal crime...
    It isn't. That's the lie they'll tell you though.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

My point exactly.

£20 million in 'Imaginary' money is easier to hide than £20 million in sequentially numbered bank notes, innit?

That said, I am now a Credit / Debit Card devotee. The 'Go To The Cash Machine' stage of life is a bit of extra effort, so why do it?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    £20 million in 'Imaginary' money is easier to hide than £20 million in sequentially numbered bank notes, innit?
    Unless it's in Ningis - damn fiddling small change!