Default Your Favourite THREE Third Doctor Stories

Thanks again to those who took part in the second doctor thread.

We now move onto Mr. Pertwee and ask you what your THREE favourite third doctor stories are and why?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Daemons - UNIT at their best albeit in their civvies, the Master oozing menace, great location work. Top notch stuff.

Inferno - The best of a very good season. The alternate earth scenes are what really makes this story so good. Caroline and Nick do an excellent job of portraying sinister versions of the characters we know. I'm also in a minority in thinking the Primords look good.

Day of the Daleks - Probably more for the nostalgia than how good it really is. My first Target novelisation and first video. I love the whole paradox issue and the Ogrons are pretty good too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The Green Death: A last outing for the UNIT family before it all breaks up. Jo grows up, the Doctor goes to Metebelis 3 and his fate is sealed. Wonderful!

Inferno: for all the reasons Paul listed and some great cliffhangers too.

Carnival of Monsters: A story that gets better and better as it ages- fun, very different to the rest of the era, full of memorable dialogue and scenes. I adore it!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I love the scenes at the locations inside the miniscope but not so much the stuff outside.

I've really enjoyed the recent Horror Channel Pertwees, it's nice to be reminded they're not all padding & dodgy CSO. Although...

Anyway, the phonelines are now closed, and here are the results from the Curnow Towers jury (or rather, from me talking to myself). Other than "Not Inferno, noooooooooo" Zel doesn't have much of an opinion on the Pertwee era.

The Mutants I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I just love it. Sorry. It's kind of like one of those old Flash Gordon serials, in that it chucks something new into the mix each week (a box! a cave! a mysterious professor! particle reversal! sucked outside! George Pravda's accent!)

Frontier in Space After years of thinking of it as little more than the warm up act for Planet of the Daleks, I was amazed by just how much I enjoyed this one when I finally got to see it. Maybe because I always liked 'The Space War'? The only time it starts to feel as if it might be running out of steam, it's suddenly given a shot in the arm by the appearance of the Master. Its only real failing for me is the rushed, messy, and slightly incomprehensible ending, which is a real shame.

Invasion of the Dinosaurs Ignore the T-Rex, and there's little to complain about. And as everybody always says, it's not really about the dinosaurs is it. It's probably the last full UNIT story of the Pertwee era, and the twist with Mike must have blown the viewers' minds back in the day. And you've got to love a secret underground bunker, all the best Who stories have one!!

Dinos nearly made my list too.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Death to the Daleks has to be on my list, it's so nostalgic & I really love it.

The Daemons of course, brilliant.

Spearhead from Space is my last choice. An excellent start to the Pertwee era & it looks gorgeous.

This was actually quite hard as Spearhead from Space & Mind of Evil were close to being in my three.

Day of The Daleks - well naturally! Best Doctor Who story of all time, in my unjustifiable opinion.

Can I go for Planet of The Spiders and Inferno? Inferno for obvious reasons, but Planet of the Spiders has got a couple of absolutely thrilling moments that really make it. It's also the opposite end of the scale from Inferno, which I kind of like.

Also, I got one Liz, one Jo and one Sarah. Don't shoot me!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The Daemons

The Green Death

The Time Warrior

A difficult Top 3 because Day of The Daleks and Spearhead were knocking on the door!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Day Of The Daleks

Dodgy Dalek voices aside, and now rendered useless through special edition, it's the best Dalek story and plotline until Genesis Of The Daleks. Death To The Daleks loses out, but if it had been a Jo Grant story would have been here in this place instead.

The Ambassadors Of Death

Because for all the Yates, Benton and "Five rounds rapid", nothing sums up UNIT for me than this one.

The Claws Of Axos

The Master, UNIT, Jo Grant, alien species deserving a remodel with Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS style monster refit for Axos monsters, so it's still a man in a suit, but it looks a lot less like a man in a suit!

[QUOTE=Dino;319466 and now rendered useless through special edition[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling...

Spearhead because the Autons, Day of the Daleks because of the story and The Time Warrior because of Linx.

This is a bit harder. Mind Of Evil, Sea Devils and Claws Of Axis are all fondly remembered childhood favourites...maybe not the best the series has to offer, but stories I can easily rewatch again and again.

Bubbling under...too many to mention! I hope that it'll be much easier to pick 4 Tom's than 3 Jon's...

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

I am not a fan of season's 7 or 8 to be honest. So my choices come from Jon's later seasons. And like Kenny, my picks are not necessarily because I think them the best, but becuase of how fondly I view them.

I recall The Sea Devils as being the first Who I remember watching as a child. I remember it scaring me, a lot, but I just had to carry on watching it every week.

My next choice is The Monster of Peladon. Again, fondly remembered for my first brush with Alpha Centuri.

Finally, Planet of the Spiders. Being a hater of the eight legged kind myself, this was another story that scared me. Then I had my first regeneration to contend with and had to have my dad explain what was happening.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Spearhead from Space - because it oozes class from every scene (alright, maybe not the octopus wrestling)

The Time Warrior - because it seems like such a reboot

The Curse of Peladon - can't really tell you why, but it's a story I've always really enjoyed.
    Bazinga !

Well, The Daemons obviously. Then it would be Inferno. However, after that I'm not sure. I like Doctor Who and the Silurians, Terror of the Autons, The Green Death and Planet of the Spiders. It would have to be one of them. Tricky!

Carnival of Monsters - There's some lovely writing, and the scenes inside the miniscope (in both senses!) are brilliant.

The Green Death - Obvious choice is obvious, but it's better in almost every (non-maggot-cso) way to any directly comparable story. I love the Nuthutch - such a good joke.

Death To The Daleks - Mostly for the sound design, which is astonishing, but largely because it was the first story I got on video, and therefore I've watched it an awful lot.
    The Doctor's almost as clever as I am!

Planet of the Spiders
    Terror of the Autons

My top 2 Pertwee's for years.
    Then it's difficult to choose a 3rd.... Planet and Death are certainly Dalek contenders.... but then there's Silurians and Green Death... arrrgh.... I'll go for Death to the Daleks, because it's such fun!

You know it makes sense.

Planet of the spiders, daemons and 3 doctors.

Death to the Daleks - because I love it! The scenes involving the Exillons and sacrifice look and sound like something from a blockbuster sci-fi movie - the darkness, the fire and the chanting - it's just really great.
    Then there's the whole creepy atmosphere of episode 1. Again some great characters - even the ones you aren't supposed to like much - you have to love Galloway! I actually rather like the Daleks with bullets too.

The Green Death - I love the whole vibe of the nut hutch. I like the family feel of the whole thing - especially with Unit and Jo etc. Plus you get to see Pertwee dressing up and having fun!

Much as I love the Autons in 'Spearhead' (their first and best outing in my opinion) I think I have to go for 'Inferno'. It's just never runs out of steam (in every sense)!!!
    It's so dramatic and rather intense!!!

Would the four stories where we see Jo's knickers when her skirt lifts up count?
    JB