View Poll Results: What is Brian Clemens best work?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Avengers

7 77.78%
  • The New Avengers

0 0%
  • The Professionals

1 11.11%
  • Thriller

1 11.11%
  • My Wife Next Door

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Default The TV series of Brian Clemens

Brian Clemens is one of Britains most prolific and talented tv writers, creating several series, being in an influential position on others, and just plain being a jobbing writer on numerous others.

Series he created included the comedy series My Wife Next Door, starring John Alderton and Hannah Gordon, although he didn't write it. He's obviously more famous for his nthology series, Thriller, not to mention The New Avengers and The Professionals. One of his most famous stints was on the original 1960s Avengers series, although he didn't create that - it's credited to Sydney Newman I believe, but I could be wrong. He claims to have written the pilot episode Hot Snow, although it's credited to Ray Rigby, and he went on to have a huge influence in the direction the show would take being instrumental in the casting of Diana Rigg. He also wrote numerous episodes for series such as Adam Adamant Lives, The Baron, The Persuaders, Remington Steele, Perry Mason, Diagnosis Murder and Bugs, among others.

So what's your favourite? Where do you think he did his best work?

I've gone for The Avengers, but to be honest I could easily have gone for The Professionals or The New Avengers.

The Avengers for me. But then I would say that! The series has so many distinct chapters in its life, and they're all wonderfully enjoyable, escapist and British. There's an interview where he says that the happiest time of his life was working on that series. A most prolific writer, whose Thriller anthology series is my core viewing for Sundays at the moment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if The Professionals is any good? We've tanked through The Sweeney so it'd be a natural progression.

Yeah, The Avengers was his best effort. Very iconic!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I wonder if The Professionals is any good? We've tanked through The Sweeney so it'd be a natural progression.
    It's not that bad. There's none of the weirdness of The Avengers. The action is more brutal than The New Avengers and yet it's not as grimy as The Sweeney.
    Hope this helps!

It's not that bad. There's none of the weirdness of The Avengers. The action is more brutal than The New Avengers and yet it's not as grimy as The Sweeney.
    You know what Mr McCow, I think we'd probably quite like it then!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'd say that The Professionals probably has more in common stylistically with The New Avengers than The Sweeney...it replaced The New Avengers, was made by the same people and had it's theme composed by the same guy...it just had that touch of brutality from the Sweeney added in. You'll like it!

I believe that Network are bringing out a pristine, remastered Professionals boxed set soon. I really wish they'd do the same treatment with The New Avengers *sigh*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    I believe that Network are bringing out a pristine, remastered Professionals boxed set soon
    Details here
    The first Season is now available on DVD and Blu-Ray atAmazon and the usual retailers.

I've got to pick The Avengers as the highlight of Clemens career. Given the overall quality of his work, which was generally of a very high standard, this is no slight towards the other series. Clemens is one of those writers who, when you see his name popping up on screen in any series credited as the episode's writer, you just know that you'll be getting an enjoyable storyline.

Admittedly though, My Wife Next Door stands out as a bit of an oddity when compared to the others, the only attempt at a sitcom among all the action/adventure/drama series he worked on over the years. For the benefit of those unaware of this rarely seen series, which isn't available on DVD yet and hasn't been repeated for years...

A bittersweet comedy starring John Alderton as George and Hannah Gordon as Suzy Bassett. They tried to get away from it all, including each other, but the coincidence that led their separated paths to adjoining country cottages leaves them to await their divorce as next door neighbours. In this classic BBC comedy there's plenty of time for them to think that things were'nt so bad, or to realise that they can only get worse as George and Suzy find their new lives are suspiciously like the old ones.
    Although Clemens didn't actually script this (he only created it), I remember the repeats from the 1990s and this was a pretty decent and funny series. Well worth checking out if at ever makes a reappearance on our screens or to buy...

I suppose it should be The Avengers, but that's too obvious, so I'm going to pretend it's not there, and go for Thriller.
    I remember being allowed to stay up and watch a few of these when I was a kid, and always felt like In was watching proper 'grown-up' tv. I loved the opening credits, even though they were a bit scary.
    And when I rewatched the series on dvd a few years ago, most of them stood the test of time for me.