Default Your Favourite FOUR Fourth Doctor Stories

Now you're having to start creating a short list of stories, can you list them in order from your 4th favourite to your first favourite. Or as Taj from Come Fly with Me says; reversological order.

So, what are your FOUR fourth doctor stories and why?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Talons of Weng -Chiang - My favourite Doctor Who story. I love everything about this one.

Pyramids of Mars - Excellent story with great cast list.

City of Death - Great interplay between Tom & Lalla. Great monster in the Jagaroth.

Robots of Death - great storyline and the robots look good too.

Bubbling under were Horror of Fang Rock and State of Decay.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4: Horror of Fang Rock. Claustraphobic tale played brilliantly. This is the one that caused me most head scratching.*
    3: Arc in Space. The future of the human species completely vunerable, only protected by interlopers.
    2: Robots of Death. Brillant isolation tale with the spooky blank faced 'servants'.
    1: Talons of Weng-Chiang. It's just wonderful.

*I easily could have gone for Genesis, Brain, Pyramids, Hand of Fear or Stones of Blood.

1. City of Death: The best.
    2. Full Circle: Just great.
    3. Genesis of the Daleks: Pretty damn good.
    4. State of Decay: Lovely

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Ark in Space - genuinely spooky
    Terror of the Zygons - a pefect gem of a story
    Pyramids of Mars - for being so different in structure

And , oh I don't know. I seem to remember there's quite a good story with some Chinese magician and a giant rat....
    Bazinga !

1. Genesis - a true classic

2. City of Death - a well-deserved classic

3. Terror of the Zygons - why am I craving pizza?

4. Stones of Blood - Baker at the top of his game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Logopolis - don't get me started on why!!
    2. Talons of Weng-Chiang - such a rich story, full of detail and texture, I can genuinely watch this one again and again and still get something different out of it
    3. City of Death - a totally different story to Talons, but my reasons for choosing it are exactly the same. (If somebody actually said "City of Death" in it, it might have made the number 2 spot!!)
    4. Robots of Death - a little gem, the benchmark for unshowy quality. It's not flash or shouty, it's small-scale and crafted.

In reversological order.....

4. Genesis of the Daleks - Contains one of my favourite episode endings of all time.

3. The Robots of Death - Creepy mechanical men. What's not to like?

2. The Deadly Assassin - Excellent companionless story and a proper look at Gallifrey.

1. The Brain of Morbius - Just how I like my Who to be.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Oops, I did mine in sequentialogical order by mistake. D'oh!

Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars

These two have been fighting it out for years as my favourite Who story ever, but lately I've been leaning towards Genesis of the Daleks.

Seeds of Doom is an easy 3rd choice, but after that it gets more difficult. It's Between Robots of Death, Zygons and Morbius I think.....
    But lately I favour Brain of Morbius for its deliciously gothic atmosphere.

Ark In Space - the first Tom story to make a big impression on me...I loved it the first time I saw it and snapped up the video on it's release

Pyramids Of Mars - simply one of the best stories ever

Fang Rock - ditto!

A hard choice for the fourth though...Talons gets the nod...great atmosphere and period setting combined with interesting and likeable supporting cast

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    4: Horror of Fang Rock. Claustraphobic tale played brilliantly. This is the one that caused me most head scratching.*
    3: Arc in Space. The future of the human species completely vunerable, only protected by interlopers.
    2: Robots of Death. Brillant isolation tale with the spooky blank faced 'servants'.
    1: Talons of Weng-Chiang. It's just wonderful.

*I easily could have gone for Genesis, Brain
    What a happy time you've had on the Horror Channel!

As it happens, I'd have put, in reverse order, Genesis, Talons, Robots Of Death and Pyramids. I don't even like horror stories as a rule...

Talons of weng-chiang, pyramids of mars, robots of death, state of decay.

Oh yes, State of Decay - very good choice indeed!

Next time, I will not be so lenient to 4. The Androids Of Tara. It doesn't feel like any other story, really. It's kind of light and frothy and fun and not at all lifted wholesale from any book ever.

Collecting all the chickens, at 3. City Of Death. Obvious choice is obvious, but I adore the dialogue. The supporting characters and actors are just brilliant, too.

Held together just by people being nice to each other, at 2. The Keeper Of Traken. A slight bias due to it being one of the first Target novelizations I had, but it's a clever and inventive story that's realised surprisingly well. It also features one of the most transparently bribe-able people in Doctor Who history.

Now I'm just being silly, but number D1 is: The Robots Of Death Doctor Who has not always done design. Or at least, not had the courage to stick to it. And many of the times it has, the result has been some of the most effective stories. Dalek City. Gallifrey in The Deadly Assassin. The Robots Of Death features a mystery that vies with "The Rescue" for "most obvious resolution", mostly due to showing you who the villain is (perhaps as some kind of ill-advised tribute to Columbo). However, the dialogue crackles, the casting is unconventional and interesting and the design is gorgeous and inflects the whole story.
    The Doctor's almost as clever as I am!

Having recently watched the whole of season 16 I'm tempted to just list 4 of those as they are all such good tales. I'm really very impressed by the Key to Time Season (event the ones I wasn't expecting to like were great)

However in order of my favourite first:

1. Logopolis - I just love it. The doomed feel of it, the whole idea of block transfer computation, one of the best scores in the show's history (IMO). Tom Baker is just excellent throughout.

2. Horror of Fang Rock (for the reasons that Tim listed and for one of my favourite cliff-hangers of the entire series.

3. The Robots of Death: Love the look of this one, the idea is great, the group of characters are all pretty interesting too.

4: Pyramids of Mars: Again, just a really good tale - I can forgive the not great ending because the rest of it is so great.

Bubbling under: pretty much all the rest of the Tom Baker era!