Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Restoration Team need our help!

The RT need our help and have put out a plea for unique material missing from the archives- clips, trails, continuities etc:

In particualr they want:
    WHAT WE NEED

1) Video recordings of episode, or new season, trailers and continuity from any era. BBC broadcasts only please (although satellite and foreign broadcasts may be interesting, clearance may prove impossible and it would be hard to know where to stop!). Preferably off air, but lower generation may be helpful if complete (it's frustratingly common for recordings to be clipped). We have facilities to replay almost any format of tape.

2) Audio recordings of trailers and continuity from any era (but especially pre-1978). Preferably complete and good quality line (rather than microphone) recordings, although all audible copies are potentially of interest.

3) Video recordings of related material. Things such as interviews on 'Swap Shop', 'Pebble Mill at One', 'Nationwide' and local news items. Preferably off-air, not lower than 2nd generation (unless you believe the material to be unique and of great interest in which case any quality would be considered). For example, we are very keen to locate an off-air recording of BBC East's 'Power of Kroll' location report from 15 December 1978. We are also looking for further off-air tapes of the 1978 anniversary 'Nationwide' interview, and the specially shot Season 17 trailer.

4) Audio recordings of related material. For example, radio interviews, TV material from the pre-home video era. An example would be comments on 'Points of View' or the 1967 'Talkback' appearance (we have a copy but it's not great).

You can read the full article here

Now I've got some of this material, but alas not in the quality they'd want- but I could let them know anyway... it's always worth a try.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I have "The Time, The Place" show on DVD if they fancy it.

I think it's worth contacting them, just in case. I have to admit I emailed them with a list of stuff I've got off-air - none of it is what I would class ancient (it's all 1987 onwards) so I'd be amazed if they didn't already have it, but personally I think it's to their credit that they're making this 'plea'. For sure they're bound to get various 'wits' emailing them to say they've got something called Power of the Daleks propping up their coffee tables, is that any good; but it might turn up some stuff, you never know - I for one would dearly love to see that special season 17 trailer which my brother remembers watching, but which I don't!!

Do you know, I almost typed 'and popcorn' at the end of that. I think PS is taking me over...

I've let them know what I've got -including the season 17 trail in pretty poor quality, so they can have what I've got, if they want it.

Si xx

It's a good thing I did- looks like they want some of the stuff I've got!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Si xx

Of course if you provide anything useful you will have to DEMAND that you produce the documentary for the DVD of your choice and get every other DVD ever released FREE !!!!
    Bazinga !

You want me to BE completely UNREASONABLE?

Si xx

And of course, you'll have to drop that fact into every post you make anywhere, Si. I really hope that (a) they use it; (b) they credit it; and (c) it's on a season 17 DVD very very very soon!!!

Wayne Guest

Wouldn't it be great to see Si's name on the 'thanks to' list on the credits of one the docu extras?
    I'd buy 'Horns of Nimon' on dvd, just for that!

Even better, that trailer would be on Destiny really, as it was shown in the lead up to the new season. I'd love to see Si's name credited on a DVD - here's hopping!

What was the season 17 trailer like? I have a vague memory of something like that...
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Pip Madeley Guest

Something to do with a voice calling the Doctor from his TARDIS in a jungle (maybe the Eden set)...

I've got Sylvester McCoy on Disney Club if they want that.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've got Peter Davison in part three of "Frontios" if that's any good to them.

I wonder if anyone's got any footage of Jon Pertwee in Katy Manning?

It was the season 17 trail and some other stuff too, excitingly. I'll tell my Mum tomorrow that all that time spent taping bits and pieces off the TV was worthwhile after all!

Si xx

Captain Tancredi Guest

I suppose that with anything off-air, as the stuff on the Invasion DVD showed, they can take several different recordings and pick the best sound from one, the best colour registration from another and the sharpest picture from a third.

I do wonder though why it's taken them a good 7 years to put out the call for such items, and what's suddenly made them do so?

Seems a bit odd to me too that so many fans have copies of such things, but the Beeb don't!

Captain Tancredi Guest

With trailers and continuity announcements, the voice-overs were probably done live in many if not all cases, and the BBC wouldn't necessarily feel obliged to keep a recording of the announcement when they were keeping the original anyway. The specially-shot 'Ambassadors of Death' trailer apparently had the theme music and a live voice-over when originally transmitted but these weren't kept. The S17 trailer is a funny thing- I would have thought that would have been worth keeping because apart from giving the date out on screen, with a couple of extra shots here and there it could have been sold abroad as part of the package of episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Si xx

That's great news, Si!

It's ironic that when we were round a few weeks ago I remember Mr Taylor suggesting that you should contact the RT about all that stuff we watched!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Something to do with a voice calling the Doctor from his TARDIS in a jungle (maybe the Eden set)...
    ISTR that the voice (apparently Geoffrey Hinsliff?) was calling "Doctor, awake!" several times before the TARDIS doors opened and Tom hurried out shouting "I'm awake, I'm awake, what are you calling me in the middle of August for?" before the voice proceeded to warn him there was danger ahead or something...

I have a feeling I might have seen it just after a repeat of the Adam West Batman film but I could easily be wrong there and just associating them for some other reason.

That's the one Iain.

Si xx

On my original 1987 recording of "Delta and the Bananamen" I've got literally a second of Colin Baker on Roland Rat. It must have been on the tape before "Delta".

That is all.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    On my original 1987 recording of "Delta and the Bananamen" I've got literally a second of Colin Baker on Roland Rat. It must have been on the tape before "Delta".

That is all.
    You must have been using the tape for the Trial the year before- Colin was one of the guests one week as the Roland Rat show ran in the slot immediately before Who. I tentatively recall that at one point he zapped the rodent with a Hyperion III guard's gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    You must have been using the tape for the Trial the year before- Colin was one of the guests one week as the Roland Rat show ran in the slot immediately before Who. I tentatively recall that at one point he zapped the rodent with a Hyperion III guard's gun.
    This is true, and me being that sad sound effects anorack that I was at the time (of course I'm not like that now ) noticed that even though a Hyperion Three gun was used - they used a phaser sound effect from Mindwarp!!!
    Amateurs!!!