Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    On to Jodie Whittaker.
    As 'twere...

What Wayne's saying about TuaT, which is absolutely fair comment, is that it's almost as though Moffatt never watched a Hartnell episode again after whichever one he watched.

Fury From The Deep for me. There's nothing two-thirds into the DVD that I can say improves my vastly negative view of the story, apart from the odd bit involving the threat we now get from actually b eing able to see the weed creature in part 4; and the in-joke with the wanted poster.

I agree. This isn't the 1st Doctor, it's a stereo type 1st Doctor put together from half remembered comments & negative articles on the series with the benefit of hind sight. Having said that I thought David Bradley pulled it off WAY better than Richard Hurndall did. It was DB that made the character more likeable than the script intended IMO. I would be very happy to see David Bradley back in a special.

I agree, as long as they took better care over the characterisation.

Indeed.
    My issue isn't with David Bradley, it's with the writers.
    Bradley has proved himself more than up to the job in his BF audios, and when I saw him on that gorgeous recreation of the original Tardis set, I just wanted a new series of first Doctor adventures, but obviously without the unnecessary, loaded revisionism.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Perhaps they were just "loaded". *HIC!*

Well I've got to the end of series 12 and I'm ok with the timeless child stuff. It's just another thing they needed to do in order to move the series on again. The Doctor is no longer constrained to a preset number of lives, meaning that there is now no limit to how many Doctor's there can be. Hopefully that will be the extent of this story line & we can move on. (Although there will inevitably be another story or two involving another incarnation of the Doctor we have yet to meet). I ssume that the Doctor we know (Jodie) is the last & current version of the Doctor and ll those "other" Doctor's are past/erased versions.

I think this series was quite a good one on the whole and much better then Capaldi's efforts; It certainly seems a lot more stable, character wise. I enjoyed Whitaker's 2nd series more than the 1st, but that may be because it is still "new" to me and not at all familiar. Time will tell.

Having come to the end of what is available to me on BBCi Player I have started to watch Power of the Daleks, for no other reason than I enjoy it & it was the 1st DVD I came across on the shelf. But I really should go back to the beginning, to the original you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Well I've got to the end of series 12 and I'm ok with the timeless child stuff. It's just another thing they needed to do in order to move the series on again. The Doctor is no longer constrained to a preset number of lives, meaning that there is now no limit to how many Doctor's there can be.
    I just feel that there are so many ways they could've achieved that, without unnecessarily ripping up the canon.
    As for Jodie, I think she's terrible. Jo Martin, however..... now there's someone that would've made a much better Doctor, in my opinion.

The Savages

There are many stories than fandom talks about and wants to see, but I never hear anyone mention The Savages. This story may not be an 'Evil of the Daleks' level classic; but for me, this is one story that stands out as one that I would like to see; or at least get an animated release. The fact that it stands out, even on the more difficult medium of animated CD and/or Recon, enough to make me want to see it, is testament to the quality of Ian Stuart Black's story.
    The plot has a strong central theme, that works well both on a Sci-Fi level and an ethical level, and like many stories in the latter half of Hartnell's tenure; provides him with some great dialogue and scenes where he can shine, giving a real gravitas and strength of character to the first Doctor. The scenes where he confronts Edal in Ep 2, and of course the main character; Jano, highlight this particularly well. It's one of the reasons that I rate Hartnell's Doctor so highly.
    I'd give this story 7/10, but if I could experience it in the way that it was meant to be experienced, then it would probably be more.

One of those stories like The Abominable Snowmen and The Ambassadors Of Death, filed under "Underrated and Overlooked".

As I don't watch the programme on BBC1 anymore I'm currently moving through two episodes a week of the classic series. I started with Spearhead From Space after a long break and am now near the end of The Silurians (rather than Doctor Who And The Silurians) and the beginning of Ambassadors of Death!
    JB

I'm about to start Terror of The Autons again for the upteenth time and as I don't watch the new series anymore and haven't since Dec 2017 and even then I didn't like it much it will be something to look forward to plus is the show still going?
    JB

No point asking us, they don't tell us anything important anymore...

The Edge Of Destruction. Has anyone else noticed that episode 2's title is just a rewording of episode 1's...?

This little lady could kick young Amelia’s arse:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtSFIb7nL1aigwXMuZIEDnOtORVs

Why did Doctor Tyler go to a military installation for answers instead of going to scientists?

Well I got to the end of the current series & went back to Rose.

I am now up to Partners in Crime. Donna really is good, makes Martha look poor.

Meglos!!!

Once, Upon Time

(I really hope the next special takes notes!)

Too Fanwanky Even For Big Finish:

UNIT are caught in a timeslip, and keep bouncing between the 1970s and 1980s because the Second Doctor (during Season 6b) and Drax (just because) put the Metebelis III crystal AND the Kronos crystal together (which Drax got his hands on, somehow), causing a massive rupture in space and time because at that moment the two Brigadiers were touching one another on Mawdryn's ship, meaning that the Brigadier is at the heart of the UNIT timeslips. The shockwave (timewave?) from this explosion causes the Great Intelligence to be knocked off course, to smack into Earth and start the 'abominable snowmen incident', and Nyssa is drawn to visit this location after receiving a telepathic spike from said Mawdryn explosion. Nyssa and the Fifth Doctor land in Det-Sen Monastary, and meet Travers (surely it's only a matter of time before the Doctor meets him again?) and Nyssa and Thomni get it on and Kronos - flying about madly through time and space in pursuit of plot purpose - sends the two lovers back through time a few hundred years, where they start a family and eventually their progeny results in Professor Brett in 1960s London.

Oh, and there are some Cybermen hiding in sewers wanting to change things. As is their wont. But one Dalek faction won't let them. And neither will Professor Brett, who has decided to get help from the Cryons. Who have - as if this needs explaining - decided to leave Telos in Cyberships to go back in time to stop the Cybermen from invading their planet. They've decided to hide Bellboy and Flowerchild's DNA at the end of a time corridor in the London Docklands area, which they plan to inject into the earliest Cybermen. Theodore Maxtible (who didn't die on Skaro, but survived and lived as a space-faring wildman), has normalised sufficiently enough to be a force for good and the Time Lords (hurrah!) use him to go to Mondas in the LIZ-79 (adapted for time travel thanks to Kartz and Reimer and Humker and Gharman and the Twin Dilemma twins and old Ma Tyler pooling their skills), but is thwarted after the cast of Warriors' Gate walk through, that guy with the big navigational unit (I can't remember what it is) on his chest using that big grey box of his to bat all the characters mentioned so far left and right, out of the story, until it's only the guy with the navigational unit on his chest left. Time tries to readjust itself, the guy with the boxy navigational unit thing on his chest suddenly finds himself in the white void, and not sure what to do, walks off-screen whistling the harp tune from The Five Doctors. Fin.

...but Gary Russell will novelise it!

I have been going through the new series again, (because it's on BBC iPlayer & my laptop is just sitting here) & I've almost finished Jodie's penultimate story, Legend of the Sea Devils. I'm still not sold on this one.

I've finished all four episodes of Day of The Daleks and am now half way through Curse of Peladon! Happy days indeed although I would have thought that the restoration of Curse would have looked way better and I haven't got to the third and fourth episodes with the Canadian faded lined jobs yet!!!!
    JB

Sadly, all four episodes were returned from Canada.

Holmes really is weak in his last outing.

The two dead Androgums are just left there, along with a blown-out time machine.

And what happens to Anita?

The NTSC tapes of "Curse" returned from Canada were in horrible shape.