I'm just happy we got them at all.

I have just finished all of series 9 and The Three Doctors. Will be commencing Carnival of monsters very soon too!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Betts View Post
    The NTSC tapes of "Curse" returned from Canada were in horrible shape.
    Actually they looked pretty good compared to what I remember from the Doctor Who And The Monsters version back in 1982. I had the VHS tape but sadly never got around to watching it! I thought part one of the Three Doctors had a strange fizzy effect when the red of the anti-matter and the Doctor's coat came into view though and the picture looked a bit soft. DVD of course as I don't have the Blu's!
    JB

Sarah if she was in The Deadly Assassin:

Sarah: "Castellan, i am not 'merely a g-' *staser shot*.

Doctor: "Well, that sub-plot's come to a bit of a dead end..."

So at some point between An Unearthly Child and The War Games we slipped from a continuity where the Doctor was a refugee scientist from the future who'd built the TARDIS into one where he was a member of an all-powerful race of Time Lords.

And then at some point between that and The Deadly Assassin we slipped another gear and found ourselves in a world where the Time Lords were not the omniscient gods we thought they were, but rather some bumbling old duffers in a museum world.

And then, never mind becoming half -human, the doctor ending up not being a Time Lord at all, but still giving the Time Lords one of the abilities that makes them Time Lords?

...let's not even go there, eh?

Look it's simple. Just imagine your a Desk Sargent in some remote windswept Police station taking notes on a crackling dial phone.
    "Right... 13 regenerations then they die? I see? But they got a whole new regenerative cycle?".
    It gets easier. I can't believe there's such discord amongst certain fans.

About Time: 'Grey is arrested by ffinch and told that "there's only one end for slave-traders". But it's 1746, so the slave-trade is perfectly legal for the next sixty years.'

Maybe The Ladybird Book of the Jacobite Rebellions was Gerry Davis's reading level?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Look it's simple. Just imagine your a Desk Sargent in some remote windswept Police station taking notes on a crackling dial phone.
    "Right... 13 regenerations then they die? I see? But they got a whole new regenerative cycle?".
    It gets easier. I can't believe there's such discord amongst certain fans.
    It's not so much the simplicity of the idea: more a case of could the way they explained it be more simple; and even more importantly, why bother with a retcon that wasn't needed?

The Romans
    Finally able to get around to seeing it. Love how everything goes wrong for the crew at the end of the first episode. Loved the time frame of the second episode. Then third part more or less in real time in contrast. Excellent comedy of them missing each other. I think I'll try another Hartnell not saw properly.

Finished The Tenth Planet.
    How amazingly it reuses the Cybermen costumes twice or three times. A better regeneration story than Logopolis.

I agree. I seem to be in a very small minority concerning Logopolis, I have to admit - never did like it.

As the old DW restoration team FAQ says, in "The Daleks", the screen turning to negative in the first view of Skaro is NOT a blooper. It's a very traditional filming technique to give the impression of extreme heat and you see it used a lot in movies from the Golden Years of film that are set during high summer.

Unfortunately, people too young to remember classic movies and their techniques kept posting that they though that the DW production team fooked up here leading to the RT being forced to explain.

The print copy of Revelation of the Daleks is ropey to enjoy on iPlayer.
    Hope a patched version of it gets update.
    It seems I can't watch more that two animated episodes before wanting real life acting.
    It's made me go and install the iPlayer app. Even though Chrome iPlayer is less buggy than the app. Which is why I got rid of it last time.

Wikipedia continues to irritate me - they insist that referring to the DW missing episodes as "destroyed" is POV and imposed "deleted" But deleted is a post digital era term. You can delete a computer file, but you can only wipe an analogue tape or physically destroy a film reel.

Sorry, I'm a little antsier than usual today after i read a DW fic set in London in 1983 that referred to a character the Doctor meets as "watching ITV1" instead of Thames Television (9:25AM Mon-5:15PM Fri) or LWT (5:15PM Fri to 6:00AM Mon) in the London ITV region as it should have been if it is 1983.

What we need these days is not more facts, but a complete absence of facts, more fake news and lessons on how to run around like a demented headless chicken. And today's dose of medication, please.

My favorite of his Who roles is his Gulliver tied with the First Time Lord (who is *not* The Deadly Assassin's Goth) and i was looking forward to seeing him one day, but he died of cardiac arrest at the end of January 2013, a couple of days after confirming in e-mail his travel insurance with Shaun Lyon who runs the Gally One con.

Decisions decisions... The Mutants or The Time Monster? What to watch what to watch? (Both Pertwee stories)

Rather like deciding to drop a brick on which foot for most people...

Still making my way through The Faceless Ones
    Before I made my post about choosing (still haven't!) I've also caught up with

The Tenth Planet
    The Macra Terror
    Invasion of the Dinosaurs
    The Horns Of Nimon
    SHADA
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Colony In Space

I'll watch them from beginning next year. Can't make my way through first episode of State of Decay!
    Saving The Five Doctors for 23rd

Well headfirst into first two episodes of The Mutants.
    Entertained by the It's.... Man at the start of part one. Good intrigue set up in part 2.
    It's probably going to stay like that for a few episodes, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Can't make my way through first episode of State of Decay!
    It's strange... Younger me enjoyed State Of Decay, and fell in love with the talking book Tom read in the 1980s. Then Older Me watched the DVD for the first time... and suddenly had a wave of disappointment come over me. More experienced eyes seeing it with different criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    It's strange... Younger me enjoyed State Of Decay, and fell in love with the talking book Tom read in the 1980s. Then Older Me watched the DVD for the first time... and suddenly had a wave of disappointment come over me. More experienced eyes seeing it with different criteria?
    I loved that talking book! That got played a lot. But the story itself just hmmm.
    Well I did finish The Time Monster. I think it was ok. About the same level of ok The Mutants was.

I agree on both counts - neither The Time Monsters nor The Mutants will win any popularity polls by any stretch, but not totally unwatchable either.