Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I tried some activity earlier. That was a mistake.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Don't make the mistake of fighting it - stay off until you feel 100% , otherwise it comes back with a vengeance.

Today I wacthed a very confusing DW with Michael Gough and Bernard Horsfall and John Hollis. It was in B&W and also contained characters called Steed and Mrs Peel.
    Bazinga !

The Cybermenauts?

I remember once watching an episode of The Avengers with Nick Courtney in it - his character is killed off fairly early on, but for ages I was expecting him to come back late in the episode because of an inbuilt 'they can't possibly kill the Brig' instinct.

In other, more relevant less meandering, news I rewatched (sorry Steve) The Curse of the Black Spot this morning and (sorry Steve) I actually quite liked it. I don't really remember disliking it that much back in 2011, but it's better even than I recalled. It's not brilliant, but in an inoffensive, diverting sort of a way it's a nice little episode - as ever, Matt somehow manages to make it better then perhaps it is, and the scenes particularly between him and the Pirate Captain are a delight. It's given a fake dramatic climax via the slightly daft bit about Amy reviving Rory, but is a nice little 'Kings Demon-y' level bit of fluff.

Although it did remind me of something else that niggled me about series 6, that so much of it is set during the night time that it makes for a literally very dark series. Put some lights on!!

This afternoon I'm on the sofa with The Time Meddler

Lucky time meddler!

Si on the sofa with a monk. Oh the image.

Watched The Pirate Planet. Really enjoyed it more than I remember, something that's happened a lot after my couple of years break from watching any 'classic' Who.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Just finished watching 'The Ice Warriors' DVD. It's better than I remembered. Peter Barkworth (Clent) and Peter Sallis (Penley) both give excellent performances. Bernard Bresslaw is surprisingly scary as Varga.

The Doctor's Wife yesterday - enjoyed it a great deal (again) although I think in a (IMHO) stronger season, I might not rate it quite as highly. And again, a lot of 'nighttime' action. Please switch the lights on chaps!!

Dragonfire - There is stuff to enjoy here, but as a whole the production fails on a lot of levels.

Happiness Patrol - Has some problems (of which the Candy Man isn't one of them), but overall a very enjoyable story.

Shada - A bittersweet viewing. What we have is so good, but what is missing is so tragic.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Shada - A bittersweet viewing. What we have is so good, but what is missing is so tragic.
    Tragic as in over-ambitious? I'm in two minds about Shada, because the monsters are rubbish even by Season 17 standards, but Christopher Neame and the others might have been able to redeem it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I meant it makes me simultaneously happy and sad when I watch it, if that makes sense. Like City of Death, it's great Douglas Adams, but perhaps not great Doctor Who...

About The Ark in Space... the entirety of human knowledge on a space station built in the 30th century is stored on microfilm? How very... 1970s ... of them

Well, funnily enough, it was made in the 1970s...

We're only in the 21st century, there's still time for a microfiche renaissance. After all, vinyl & cassette have made a comeback...

The Rebel Flesh for me this morning. That's not a polite way of saying I got drunk last night, no indeed - but rather my ongoing rewatch of season 6. I've not watched any of that series (other than the finale) more than once, and yet somehow this story is even more of a mystery to me than any of the others. In the sense that, apart from the most basic 'what it's about' I didn't really remember anything of it at all. It was fine, I quite enjoyed it, but it does somehow lack.... I don't know, it just lacks something to single it out from the crowd. Maybe it's the guest cast all wearing the same orange overalls?

...Or you will remain in the TARDIS - dead!. God I wish the Master had carried out this. Would have spared us a season and a half of tits and arse that wasn't treated as having a woman attached.

Tracer-tastic!

Every day (from today) I'm going to be watching an episode from The Key To Time (in order of course!) I haven't seen these episodes in decades so I'm looking forward to it. From memory, my fave story was Stones. I wonder if it still will be after this viewing .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ribos Ep 2 - loved Dudley's music score as the jewel room is lit with candles, and the Doctor's nose pressed up against the jewel case glass made me smile. Iain Cuthbertson is gloriously OTT, especially switching between his mock posh accent and his dodgy "cockney" one! Ah there's a certain John Nathan-Turner AND a John Turner in the credits. That's not confusing at all

Vengeance on Varos SE. A nice package of extras, but dear me, what a failed production. The Doctor & Peri take twenty minutes of wandering around the Tardis console to finally get to the plot point of why they need to go to Varos - a complete waste of the 'new' 45 minute format. Martin Jarvis, a very good actor, seems badly miscast in this particular role, and Jason Connery and the dialogue he's given to deliver I found embarrassing.

Stephen Yardley gives value for money, and Sil really is one of the best 'baddies' of the era, but too often the best thing on screen was Peri's outfit.

VonV is pretty damn good in context.

Frontios was on the Horror channel today. It took me by surprise and I saw it as a non-who fan - what are all these crappy monsters, why is everyone taking it seriously, what is this rubbish? Some stories you really have to 'tune in' to.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    VonV is pretty damn good in context.
    Really? That's the thing, I know it'd held in pretty high regard in context of the CB era, I just couldn't see it. Not a big fan of his era myself anyway, so that may be why.

Frontios was on the Horror channel today. It took me by surprise and I saw it as a non-who fan - what are all these crappy monsters, why is everyone taking it seriously, what is this rubbish? Some stories you really have to 'tune in' to.
    I watched the dvd of that last week - really enjoyed it! I'll say the cast, again, isn't top notch, but better on the whole. I found the whole thing gets carried along (well) by Davison's pure energy throughout.

Well that's Ribos done and dusted. Despite some really OTT performances I really rather enjoyed that. And so it seems that the cast did too. Ha ha me hearties, I'm starting The Pirate Planet tomorrow.

Mr Fibuli!!!!!!

Moons of Madness! By the horns of the Great Sky Demon!