They are planning to create Four/Adric audios - I think there is already a published short story from years back in the Traken/Logopolis gap.

At the end of State of Decay, the Doctor is telling Adric in no uncertain terms that he will be returned to the Starliner, but by Warrior's Gate, they seem like old mates. So there are other planets in E-Space, just from evidence in the TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Betts View Post
    They are planning to create Four/Adric audios
    The ultimate threat! - why didn't I think of it?

At least we can look forward to Four/Sarah and Four/Sarah/Harry with Jon Culshaw and Sadie Miller...

Give them six months and Mr. Culsaw will be playing everyone!

Ratcliffe is in his early sixties (the actor was 63)

So, almost retirement age.

Why is he messing about with The Association at his age instead of growing roses and sitting back with a bottle of brandy?

I can't see the young thugs that usually make up a fascist group having much patience for an old fart like Ratcliffe.

As i said, even by the time of the story, Ratcliffe is getting up in years.

Is he planning to re-conquer the British Empire in a wheelchair?

Davros runs the Dalek empire from a wheelchair - how old is he now?!

Of course they're both quite mad...

And George Sewell was playing a police superintendent into his seventies.

I'm currently watching/listening to The Faceless Ones for the first time. I've always rather enjoyed the two existing episodes, but it's certainly a bit of a B-Movie isn't it! The bit at the start of part 4 where the Chameleon decides not to shoot the Doctor & co, but instead leave a slow-moving laser killing beam to gradually work its way across the floor towards them, while he leaves content in the satisfaction of a job well done, is especially memorable.

Nice to hear more of Sam though - and while it's interesting to imagine a season 5 with her rather than Victoria, I'm actually now more intrigued to speculate about 'what if' Jean Rook (Wanda Ventham) had been the new companion instead. Or Nurse Pinto...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm currently watching/listening to The Faceless Ones for the first time. I've always rather enjoyed the two existing episodes, but it's certainly a bit of a B-Movie isn't it! The bit at the start of part 4 where the Chameleon decides not to shoot the Doctor & co, but instead leave a slow-moving laser killing beam to gradually work its way across the floor towards them, while he leaves content in the satisfaction of a job well done, is especially memorable.
    "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

"Why, Doctor! You are rather gorgeous!" - if the Pryce Master believes that about Joanna Lumley, maybe perception filters exist in the parody universe?

The 2nd Doctor: "If you don't switch over to sexual air supply"
    ----
    They were a very mediocre soft pop band that went down well in the USA. I'd never have thought of them as sexual.

Well since the start of the Lockdown I wanted to start going through the new series, never really got too far but I am up to Tennent and Army of Ghosts.

(I will admit to only skipping 1 story which was Love and Monsters, I saw this recently on TV so wasn't going to watch it again on Iplayer).

The 5 Doctors:

Maybe Hurndall was scooped during episode 11 of "The Dalek Master Plan" when he disappeared soon after returning to the planet Kembel... just a thought.

Up to Unicorn & the Wasp. Nice story.

Next is Planet of the Dead. I like this story.

The Keeper of Traken:

Let's see... The Master arrives early, the Doctor receives an explicit summons, we see his handwriting, the Master's plan is to take over an enormous power source to effect a new body, the ruler of the planet dies, the successor (not the properly-chosen one) is the Masters pawn, the Doctor is accused of crimes he didn't commit...

We've seen this before, haven't we? And better.

The Aztecs

I've always struggled a bit with the Hartnell historicals, but this has always been the exception to the rule, and rediscovering why has made for an enjoyable revisit.
    As a 4-parter, it doesn't outstay its welcome, and the pacing of the story is spot on. It doesn't have time to sag in the same way that Marco Polo does. Of course it has the advantage of being a visual treat; especially from the costume department. But the great strength's of this story are the performances. Not only of the excellent guest cast, but of Hartnell, Russell, and most especially Jackie Hill who is given a chance to shine in what is arguably her best story in Dr Who.
    The interplay between her and Hartnell in the scene where the Doctor calls her out saying: 'But you can't re-write history! Not one line!' is wonderfully done by Hartnell, as he chews her out, and then reproachfully softens towards her. Bookended by the rueful reflections on the point of time travel at the end, are the sort of subtleties that are lovely for a children's tv series at the time.
    It's a good story for William Russell too, as Ian gets to play the hero to great effect. It reminds me how much I loved this original Tardis team, even though Susan feels somewhat surplus to requirements; with the character only really functioning as the reason why Ian and Barbara are there in the first place.
    Also what really adds to this story for me is the excellent incidental music by Richard Rodney Bennett, which provides a lot of atmosphere in this story.
    As someone who has mainly always loved DW as a Sci-Fi show. This for me is by far the best non Sci-Fi story. A very enjoyable 8.5/10.

Default Jackie Hill had a nice bum

Planet of Giants

I've always been rather fond of this little story. I know it's not a stone cold classic, but I do think it tends to be somewhat underappreciated.
    For someone of my generation, who grew up with Land of the Giants, and films like The Incredible Shrinking Man, (not to mention Sci-Fi novels like 'Fratricide Is A Gas'); is was quite nice to discover that Dr Who had also used this Sci-Fi staple.
    And they made a good job of it too. At 3 episodes, it's tightly paced, and the visual effects look really rather good. The Tardis team have to think their way out their situation, and the performances, particularly Hartnell; are all very good.
    Normally, I'd give this 7/10, but I'm adding on an extra half point for Barbara in those clingy slacks.

7.5/10

Yes, I'd agree with those sentimants. It is definitely an underappreciated classic.

Onward with my run through the BBCi player episodes, I'm up to The Witch's Familiar. I must admit that Capaldi is not growing on me; infact quite the reverse. I'm finding his condescending tone with all humans to be quite off putting. His 'Lording it over' attitude is getting on my nerves. Out of the last 5 Doctors he is my least favourite...possible my least favourite of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Onward with my run through the BBCi player episodes, I'm up to The Witch's Familiar
    You have my sympathies, Tim. The worst is yet to come.

I loved Capaldi's last series. At least Matt Lucas was able to do the comedy stuff leaving Capaldi to be more Doctor-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    You have my sympathies, Tim. The worst is yet to come.
    Oh dear God!! Doctor Mysterio; I thought this was crap the first time round, but now I think it's utter tripe! There is a simple alien invasion story here but it's completely buried under some superhero crap that is completely repugnant. This gets to the heights of The Twat Dilemma. Absolutely the very worst episode since the shows return. I'll never watch it again until my next run through the new series in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Oh dear God!! Doctor Mysterio; I thought this was crap the first time round, but now I think it's utter tripe! There is a simple alien invasion story here but it's completely buried under some superhero crap that is completely repugnant. This gets to the heights of The Twat Dilemma. Absolutely the very worst episode since the shows return. I'll never watch it again until my next run through the new series in order.
    It does get better! You have to touch bottom to reach the top etc. I dragged my feet after Doctor Mysterio. And it surprised as it did improve the following series.

The Web Planet

I'm unashamedly forgiving towards The Web Planet, because of what it aspires to achieve; even if those aspirations are let down in a few areas.
    Yes, there are some cringeworthy moments (ZARRRRRRRRBEEE!!!!), and the inevitable budgetary constraints which reduce the production's ambitions down to the level of a school play; and there are some bits that stand out like a sore thumb as being so AmDram that they make the viewer have to work really hard on the suspension of disbelief. In that department, this story both fails and succeeds in different ways.
    For me though, I can live with its smaller (in my opinion) failings. Both because its successes are greater in that its failings, and also because I actually like things the encourage me to use my imagination. I'd rather things be a bit rough around the edges and be imaginative, rather than be technically flawless, and yet dull.
    The Web Planet achieves more with its wonderful, alien-ness, and its sheer atmosphere, than many, if not all NuWho seasons have managed in their entirety. For all those little moments when it wobbles the viewers ability to suspend disbelief, it is saved by its absolute serious conviction; which is conveyed not just through the performances themselves, but through the very fibre of the production team's genuine and earnest attempts to create actual Science Fiction.
    I like The Web Planet a lot for simply what it is, and even more for what it's aims are. It's far from perfect, but I can watch it and enjoy it.
    And although they used stock music for this story; whoever made the decision chose something that could not have been more fitting than something composed especially for it. The incidental music really compliments The Web Planet, and adds so much to it's uniquely cerebral atmosphere. 8/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EexI7WayUU

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Nice review there Wayne.

I have got to the end of Cappaldi. His last season is bookended with the worst & arguably the best of what Doctor Who has to offer (it is IMO the very worst of Doctor Who in Doctor Mysterio & definitely the best of Cappaldi in Twice Upon A Time).

TUaT is something I could watch again & again. It explores our very real fear of change & the exploration of what it is to be a sentient being. What are we if not just a collection of memories in a bag of flesh?

If you could take my sense of self out of my body & put it in a computer would I be any less of a person? I am in fact just a collection of experiences that make me think & act in a way that seems correct to me.
    That is my upbringing, my teachings & infact all that has happened to me. Twins could grow up together & not act in the same way, why?
    Because although you may say that they had the same upbringing with the same parents & the same home they will have things different to each other. If one is looking left at his twin the other will be looking right, different viewpoints, different physical background (Mother behind one, Father behind the other). Just like the reason I love watching Turn Left, we are a collection of memories which make us make choices, to turn left or right; to look left first and step out into the path of a car or look right & stop yourself from taking that step.

It is this balance of choice that compels me to watch Doctor Who. To explore what could have been, to know that if a different path had been taken then the outcome could have been so much different.

So in conclusion Cappaldi is not my favourite Doctor, I disliked his attitude in the beginning but he improved in the 2nd half of penultimate and definitely in his last season to be a Doctor worthy of the name Doctor Who.

On to Jodie Whittaker.

I loved An Adventure in Space and Time, but I didn’t like Twice Upon a Time because of Moffat’s misrepresentation of the first Doctor, whose character was sacrificed on the altar of political correctness for the sake of a few cheap laughs.
    Obviously in the 1960s Dr Who was written in such a way that it reflects the social norms of the era, But Moffat's characterisation of the first Doctor is completely unbalanced, and contrived towards making a socio-political statement. Yes, there were occasional moments in the writing that seem very old-fashioned now, but how often did the first Doctor suggest a smack on the bottom for a young female companion. Once? I'm pretty sure it was only once. Are such things not forgivable in the grand scheme of things? Can we not simply accept it for what it was? You know... a sense of perspective?
    Moffat's first Doctor was a complete exaggeration of the way the Hartnell's Doctor was characterised. Such traits were occasional, but Moffat writes as though this an integral part of the first Doctor's character. And it really wasn't. It's a completely unfair, and a seemingly deliberately snide mischaracterisation. Where was Hartnell's grandfatherly or avuncular affection. Why was that not represented? Where was the charm? Where was the concern for fairness? Why were character defining moments like 'I NEVER take life. Not unless my own is immediately threatened', or the famously touching goodbye speech to Susan? Why were all these things and many more, not reflected in Moffat's take on the first Doctor?
    I wouldn't have minded so much that he poked fun at Hartnell's Doctor if he'd balanced it out with many other things that Hartnell projected into his portrayal. Hartnell himself could by all accounts be somewhat bigoted and jingoistic. But not the character, not the Doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk