Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What Who Are You Currently Watching? - Goes Fourth.

The last thread went over it's limit so here we go again, regenerating in to Tom Baker.

Tonight I have been watching the BBC3 repeat of The Time of the Doctor.

Whereas I have been watching part 1 of Robots of Death, 'taped' off the Horror Channel earlier this week. Scarily, I don't think I've seen the story in about 18 years, and in fact I haven't seen it in its episodic form since 1977 - The start and end credits seem to fade out/in to the action in a slightly unusual way I think.

And, by golly, it is a very good story isn't it!!

We have just watched The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Day Of The Daleks.
    The Horror Channel missed out big time not showing this one!

Finished off The Robots of Death this week. Tom is especially good, and Russell Hunter too. A slightly odd choice to have Toos character basically spend the last couple of episodes in her nighty, but that's in no way a criticism just an observation.

Started on Snakedance, there's an odd charm to it which I must admit I was rather immune to in 1983, and I'm certainly looking forward to Janet F's turning evil over the next three episodes.

And finally (as if that wasn't enough) I've rewatched The Time of the Doctor this morning - other than watching the start twice on Christmas Day and catching the very end again at bruv's on Boxing Day, I've only ever seen it the once. I think I enjoyed it more this time round, the bits I didn't like were still there but I now expected them, and the bits I did like I enjoyed all the more. Still awfully sad to see Matt go, but "The old man must die and the new man..." etc etc

Seeds of Death has been completed. Next up for me & the kids is Planet of the Spiders.

The Impossible Planet & The Satan Pit

I still find this quite a creepy story (especially when Toby goes all "red eye" in front of an Ood and tells him to "shush"). The Doctor's rant at "Satan" came across as too preachy though - a bit like wot he did in Akhaten. I didn't like that bit either :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finished Snakedance today - really rather good, even better than I remembered. And with the suggestion in part 4 that the Doctor is motivated by feelings of guilt regarding Tegan's possession, there's almost a hint of yer modern emotional Who. Yet more 80s trailblazing, hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Yet more 80s trailblazing, hurrah!
    Well, as this month's DWM attests New Who was in fact completely invented in the 80's, and all future episodes should credit those involved
    Bazinga !

I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

We've watched The Lesire Hive this evening. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I really rather like this story.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You've kept that quiet Si!

I finished off The Mark of the Rani (thanks Horror Channel!) tonight. My memory of season 22 in 1985 is of not really liking the new Doctor, but in hindsight I think it more likely that actually I just wasn't warming to the stories and the Doctor was an easy 'target' for that dislike (what psychiatrists would call "the Michael Grade syndrome"). Certainly, the 'unlikeable & unpleasant' sixth Doctor is nowhere to be seen, really, and there's a warmth and a friendship between the Doctor and Peri even in S22 which I kind of didn't see at the time either.

The story's never going to be a big favourite, and it still has 'the trees' but nevertheless I quite enjoyed it, and Colin certainly is very likeable in it - particularly liked him and Stephenson discussing his engine.

Next up for me, I think, is Spearhead from Space on Blu-Ray (birthday present). I've not seen this one in its entirety since before we moved to Pyworthy in 1999, and in fact I've NEVER seen the episodic version, we only ever had the VHS' feature-length space adventure. Very much looking forward to it...

Tonight, we watched Meglos... last Zolpha-Thuran!

Just finished watching Deadly Assassin with Aidan & Kieran. Both of them enjoyed it.

I'd forgotten how star-studded the cast for Tipping The Velvet was, and I spotted 4 Who actors in Ep.1...Rachel Stirling, Dean Lennox Kelly, Alexei Sayle and Daniel Mays. Additionally surprised to see a young Cumberbatch, too.

Directed by Geoffrey Sax, as well, of course.

Just spotted I posted in the wrong thread, should have been 'Whospotting'!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Mawdryn Undead all done and dusted. Watching Mark of the Rani with the kids now.

Just watching Gridlock. Not bad story really. Nice bit of social commentary.

Love & Monsters wasn't that bad was it? You just have to approach it with the right mindset. Plus it's got ELO music running through it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Love & Monsters wasn't that bad was it? You just have to approach it with the right mindset. Plus it's got ELO music running through it :-)

Is that a euphemism for blind drunk ?
    Bazinga !

As a tribute to Doctor Three who is no longer with us in Last Doc Standing, I'm watching The Daemons :-)

I've just finished listening/watching to the Radiophonic Workshop on BBC 3 live at the Commonwealth Games, Glasgow.

To quote a past Doctor....FANTASTIC!

Just watched The Wedding of River Song and half of The Next Doctor with my girlfriend.

We did State of Decay last night. It was good.

The kids and I watched Greatest Show in The Galaxy (bottom of the pile for me) and the Aidan thought it was OK, while Kieran really enjoyed it. To be fair, the worst Doctor Who story for me, but still better than a lot else on TV at the moment. After that we watched Night of the Doctor and Last Day.