Not quite sure what to call this (clearly!) and although I had a feeling we sort of had something like this before I couldnae find it, but anyway...

As opposed to the Question Time thread which is one answer to one question, often flippant or nonsensical (or is that just me?) this is a place to ask questions that you actually do want an answer to. On the basis that there are some pretty smart people on PS, somebody will surely know the actual answer.

Obviously I'm mainly driven by my own ignorance, because I often find, with news reports especially, some statements are made as facts that we of course all know - and I quite often find myself not really knowing why. In particular at the moment-- does anybody know about bees?

Specifically, we keep hearing that without bees we would all starve to death (or whatever). Is that really the case? Sure, we get a few bees buzzing round our garden but they seem mainly interested in the fuchsia bush. Am I being just a bit thick (feel free to say yes) but don't, just to take one example, carrots grow by planting seeds, making sure they get water and sunlight, etc.

So, can anybody tell me what the bees are doing that is so important, or do they just have excellent PR?

Thanks!