Default Moffat; a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Jedi News are reporting that Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat is being eyed for one of the new Star Wars movies. In exactly what capacity that might be is unclear, as they say he could have been approached to be a writer, producer or director. If it's for one of the new trilogy installments it'd presumably be the final one which doesn't yet have an announced team aboard, but it could also be for one of the spin-offs. The site have been a pretty consistent source of info for these movies, though it remains to be seen if certain things they've posted will pan out -- so we'll have to take it as a rumour for now.

Considering where he's led Who, it would be a case of A long time ago in a galaxy gone far, far awry.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Considering where he's led Who, it would be a case of A long time ago in a galaxy gone far, far awry.

I'm nicking that.

My only worry about Moffat getting a Star Wars gig is the increased likelihood of Gatiss taking over as showrunner on Who. Don't think I could watch it knowing only the first half of any story would be in any way watchable.

I'm still not quite sure why the show HAS to have a 'showrunner' in the sense of an Exec who is also lead writer. It's surely possible to find a superb Exec who then gets all the scripts written by other writers...? (Dare I point at every single Who Producer of the 20th Century, other than Barry Letts...)

As for Moffat on Star Wars... I don't know, until we see the first of the new ones, how different the new movies will be to the previous ones. But based on the ones we've seen so far, I'm not sure his style of dialogue is an obvious choice? Though it may be via the Tintin/Spielberg link that his hat has gone in the ring?

Gatiss or no, I do think it'll soon be time for Moffat to pass on the baton to somebody else (although didn't he say he'd be around for next season at least, so that's well into 2015).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm still not quite sure why the show HAS to have a 'showrunner' in the sense of an Exec who is also lead writer. It's surely possible to find a superb Exec who then gets all the scripts written by other writers...? (Dare I point at every single Who Producer of the 20th Century, other than Barry Letts...)
    Well, they could dispense with a showrunner if they just went for mostly standalone stories with no real overarching plot thread, but since it came back we have had Bad Wolf, Torchwood, Mister Saxon, cracks in walls, impossible girls, Trent Reznor (i think that's what they said, I'd stopped following by then) and so on. If they continue as they have, there needs to be someone who can weave a narrative around the underlying plot.

I'd be quite happy to see it dropped as a notion, but it seems the way 90+% of tv is done these days. If ardent viewers are allowed to be come casual viewers, the whole thing comes crashing down. Allegedly.

I'm still not convinced; I'm pretty certain plenty of non-writing Producers could come up with an overarching/underlying plot thread, without having to necessarily have the ability themselves to put together a good tight script around it. Moffat was an ideal & obvious replacement for RTD, but if they then get 'fixated' on the notion that the head exec & showrunner HAS to be a writer, I think the BBC is restricting themselves to a comparatively small pool of people who are able to do all those things (to look at it the opposite way around, there are some cracking writers out there but I'm not sure they'd be good execs, in the sense of dealing with other people's work, etc, etc).

Anyway, I'm prepared to do it for a third of what Moffat's on, and I'll supply my own lunch, so the BBC's welcome to call!!

(Or maybe it's a job swap with George Lucas, is he moving to Cardiff any time soon....?)

If it's true then expect Princess Leia to be Emperor Palpatine's mother and Jar Jar Binks to fall backwards in time so he can be retconned into every Star Wars film as hiding in a droid skin labelled C3-PO.
    Bazinga !

I'm prepared to do it for a third of what Moffat's on, and I'll supply my own lunch, so the BBC's welcome to call!!

(Or maybe it's a job swap with George Lucas, is he moving to Cardiff any time soon....?)
    Lucas and Lucasfilm are no longer hitched, with Lucasfilm like Marvel Studios is currently owned by Disney, and I don't think Lucas has any input barring a little oversight. And if you retired, would it be to Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Saville View Post
    Lucas and Lucasfilm are no longer hitched, with Lucasfilm like Marvel Studios is currently owned by Disney, and I don't think Lucas has any input barring a little oversight. And if you retired, would it be to Cardiff?
    Actually yes, Cardiff is a very nice place indeed. Admittedly the weather leaves alot to be desired but there's lots to like about Cardiff. Indeed Mr Savile have you ever actually been to Cardiff yourself?
    Regards
    Diddy

According to Moffat's wife Sue Vertue on twitter, this is all news to him.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy Doc View Post
    Actually yes, Cardiff is a very nice place indeed. Admittedly the weather leaves alot to be desired but there's lots to like about Cardiff. Indeed Mr Savile have you ever actually been to Cardiff yourself?
    Regards
    Diddy
    Jeez! It's SavilLe FFS! I know I should make allowances seeing as you've only known me a decade!

And Yup. I have been to Cardiff a number of times, though not in the last 2 decades since they tried to turn it into Paris, with all the bistros, wine bars and al fresco dining. It was raining. Every. Single. Time.

I did know that in fact, but you surely know by now that I never let the facts get in the way of a cheap gag!

I did know that in fact, but you surely know by now that I never let the facts get in the way of a cheap gag!
    Quite right too. Carry on that man!

If it's true then expect Princess Leia to be Emperor Palpatine's mother and Jar Jar Binks to fall backwards in time so he can be retconned into every Star Wars film as hiding in a droid skin labelled C3-PO.
    To be fair to Mr Moffat on this occasion, Star Wars does already have 'form' in that regard - being, as it is, the story of a young man who fancies his sister so sets off to rescue her from their dad, ably assisted by a robot originally built by her dad in exactly the same place the young man now lives even though the robot has forgotten both the place and the dad and....

To be fair to Mr Moffat on this occasion, Star Wars does already have 'form' in that regard - being, as it is, the story of a young man who fancies his sister so sets off to rescue her from their dad, ably assisted by a robot originally built by her dad in exactly the same place the young man now lives even though the robot has forgotten both the place and the dad and...
    To be fair it is a robot who's memory is likely to have been deleated. As Uncle Owen asks Luke to do after he purchases them.

I'd forgotten that - and doesn't Princess Leia's adopted dad tell someone to wipe his memory anyway, at the end of Chapter 3? (Which would explain why C3P0 doesn't seem to recognise Jawas in chapter 4.)

But anyway, I refer the right honourable gentleman to my earlier comment: "I never let the facts get in the way of a cheap gag!"

But anyway, I refer the right honourable gentleman to my earlier comment: "I never let the facts get in the way of a cheap gag!"
    Nooooo! Never skimp on a gag. The cheap ones will fall apart at the buckle or rot in contact with all the saliv.... ah. Gag. Godditt!

Jeez! It's SavilLe FFS! I know I should make allowances seeing as you've only known me a decade!

And Yup. I have been to Cardiff a number of times, though not in the last 2 decades since they tried to turn it into Paris, with all the bistros, wine bars and al fresco dining. It was raining. Every. Single. Time.
    Right henceforth and forthwith ye shall now be forever known on here by me as Savile cos we all know how you like to be connected to anyone (be they living or dead) by such an esteemed name! hehe
    Regards
    Diddy

al fresco dining. It was raining. Every. Single. Time.
    Yeah but your soup lasts AGES
    Regards
    Diddy

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy Doc View Post
    Right henceforth and forthwith ye shall now be forever known on here by me as Savile cos we all know how you like to be connected to anyone (be they living or dead) by such an esteemed name! hehe
    Regards
    Diddy
    Careful you. You know your mother was reluctant to have me as your carer as it is. Who's going to mop up your drool if she sacks me?

Careful you. You know your mother was reluctant to have me as your carer as it is. Who's going to mop up your drool if she sacks me?
    Eeeerrrr........ Anyone who enjoys free coffee?? hehe
    Anyhoo. back on topic not heard much more regarding Moffatts involvement or lack of with the SW universe. That's not to say it won't happen but given his current duties dealing with Who publicity and the unfortunate leaks it's probably not top of his "to do" list right now
    Regards
    Diddy