Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 132
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,676

    Default

    I get the feeling that there will be a huge party for half the country on Friday if there's a YES win, but if there's a NO win there will simply be a huge sigh of relief from the winning side! I also get the feeling that if NO win, it'll be the YES camp who will be more vocal in voicing their disapproval than vice versa.

    You'll certainly hear more from the YES camp than the NO ones come the weekend, regardless of the outcome.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,013

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    Interesting article
    Yeah, yeah, same old, it's all about the oil, the US Conspiracy, we're all boned etc.

    It doesn't matter, UK is going to frack the frack out of every patch of land in the country, we're all going to be living on a flooded slagheap come 2030.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO:

    Scotland votes Yes.
    David Cameron is forced to step down.
    A general election is called.
    Boris Johnson becomes Prime Minister of England.
    Alex Salmond becomes First Minister of Scotland.
    War.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    YAY!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Betfair tweeted this afternoon to say it believes Scotland will vote to stay within the United Kingdom after Thursday's crucial vote.

    It said: "We are paying out on all Sportsbook bets on no in the Scottish independence referendum."

    The bookmaker added: "Thanks to the accuracy of the data available on our exchange, we've decided that no is the most likely outcome in three days time."
    Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...paying-4268741
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    4,760

    Default

    Absolutely scandalous if Betfair are allowed to get away with blatant interference with the democratic process for a publicity stunt (I noticed they were advertising last night inbetween the CL football).
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Loughton
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO:

    Scotland votes Yes.
    David Cameron is forced to step down.
    A general election is called.
    Boris Johnson becomes Prime Minister of England.
    Alex Salmond becomes First Minister of Scotland.
    War.
    And what's left of UKIP will declare they were right all along!

  9. #59

    Default

    Gordon Brown - fantastic - what a speech!

    "The silent majority will be silent no more!"

    This just brings a huge smile to my face - 13 minutes of magic speech making

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39bBV7CBJk


  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    UKIP will always declare that they were right all along, rather than admitting that they're a bunch of toff-funded, parochial drunkards whose view extends little further than their own bank balances.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    4,760

    Default

    Gordon Brown was always a good 'speaker', but I fail to see why anyone will be swayed by the word of a man who stole billions of pounds worth of pensions from 'the silent majority' and sold off the nation's wealth (gold) at the lowest possible price to help out his banker backers.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sawbridgeworth
    Posts
    25,126

    Default

    From what I've heard YES would be a disaster - it wouldn't be independent (because England would still set the Scottish interest rates, spending etc.) plus it would end up costing everyone loads of money. The trouble is people don't understand what it means, and are being driven by emotion rather than logic. Also I think everyone here in England thinks it has nothing to do with them - it's a thing going on in Scotland. And thinks if they win we can all say "byeee" and carry on. But ripping two countries apart is going to cost someone a hell of a lot of money. And you can bet it'll end up being us.

    Si.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Yes will cost both sides lots of money and I'm not convinced that the Yes Vote have actually thought everything through and come up with a plan for running their own country.

    It does affect England and the rest of the UK - so why don't we get a say in it???
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post

    It does affect England and the rest of the UK - so why don't we get a say in it???
    This has been brought up before...as I understand it, it's because of a possible scenario to how Scotland (in general) feels about being ruled by the Tories, a government they never voted for. Imagine the outcry if Scotland voted for independence, but were denied because the rest of the country voted against it. That would give a certain section of society an even bigger chip on their shoulders.

    From what I've heard YES would be a disaster - it wouldn't be independent (because England would still set the Scottish interest rates, spending etc.) plus it would end up costing everyone loads of money. The trouble is people don't understand what it means, and are being driven by emotion rather than logic. Also I think everyone here in England thinks it has nothing to do with them - it's a thing going on in Scotland. And thinks if they win we can all say "byeee" and carry on. But ripping two countries apart is going to cost someone a hell of a lot of money. And you can bet it'll end up being us.
    Si, you're quite right in everything you say. But the 'us' who will be paying for it most will be the Scottish voters who will have to foot the bill for everything. from higher shopping bills in supermarkets, VAT on food etc if we try to join the EU, higher taxes to keep the same standard of public services as we have at present, and a currency problem which is a shambles of a policy. Not to mention the possible loss of free University places and free prescriptions (which I know are thorny issues in England anyway, but seeing as we have these benefits I don't see why we should take the chance of losing them)

    But as actress Elaine C Smith said yesterday at a Yes rally, “It (a Yes vote) will show that money is not the only thing that matters. I don’t want to live in a world where Utopia is not on the map. Even if we don’t reach it let’s lift anchor and set sail.” What world is she living on?! I'd much rather have the money to make sure I have a roof over my head, thank you...and be able to eat as well! Patriotism isn't going to pay the bills

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bracknell, Berks
    Posts
    29,387

    Default

    This has been brought up before...as I understand it, it's because of a possible scenario to how Scotland (in general) feels about being ruled by the Tories, a government they never voted for
    Most of the UK didn't vote for this Tory government either.

    I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Most of the UK didn't vote for this Tory government either.
    Quite!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,929

    Default


    Statler: The Scottish are out voting
    Waldorf: Yes; they are revolting


    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    4,760

    Default

    As an English man, with a Scottish surname, I really hope Scotland votes YES. For this simple reason. If after two years discussion and debate and being given this once in a lifetime positive opportunity, and 97% of the population engaging in political debate, they can not come up with a better solution to govern themselves than the decades old corrupt institutions of lying, cheating, stealing, pedophile protecting scum of Westminster, there is no hope for any of us. A NO vote will be an overwhelmingly damning vote on humanity as a whole.

    Scotland deserves better than Westminster, and so do we all.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    A NO vote will be an overwhelmingly damning vote on humanity as a whole.
    That's not what the vote should be about.

    So many people have leapt onto this as a chance to strike a blow against the Conservatives (or Westminster politicians in general).

    It's a vote that's born out of hatred, even if that hatred is justifiable.

    Nobody has given any indication of what Scottish Independence would actually mean. Would you have a Parliament, or a President of Scotland? Would you adopt a new constitution? What kind of voting system will you have? The SNP don't seem to have answered any of these questions, which indicates to me that they don't have any real plan. If they had, then there might be good reason to vote Yes.

    The Scottish people have no idea what they are really voting for, or what Independence will actually mean. This whole thing is an exercise in flag-waving and sticking two fingers up at the British Government.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bracknell, Berks
    Posts
    29,387

    Default

    Isn't it time we grew out of banding together as small nations and thought on a wider, more holistic view of the world? Dividing into small nations seems such a backward step. The union isn't perfect, but it can be made better. I think we'll all lose out if Scotland goes.

    I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    4,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

    It's a vote that's born out of hatred, even if that hatred is justifiable.
    I disagree with that, it's a vote that's born out of hope, and belief, that we deserve better.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    4,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The union isn't perfect, but it can be made better.
    I've been hearing this my whole life, 40 years and rising, but it never does. It gets worse with each successive Westminster government. It won't get better, LibLabCon have promised permanent austerity and permanent war. That's a better way to rule, but not to live. IMO.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The union isn't perfect, but it can be made better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    but it never does. It gets worse with each successive Westminster government. It won't get better.
    The Yes vote have promised Utopia.
    Fantastic.


    Please let me know what the Scottish Union of Greens, LGBTQs, Labour, Tory, etc. etc. etc. looks like
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    I'm really not getting much in the way of "Hope" from either the Yes or No campaigns. More an agitated bout of axe-waving. But maybe you've been reading different websites to me.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    4,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post

    Please let me know what the Scottish Union of Greens, LGBTQs, Labour, Tory, etc. etc. etc. looks like
    Then don't let that happen. Make something new. Start new political parties/partnerships. Engage with your fellow man. Engage with the youth (being given their first vote). Our forefathers and ancestors used to theorise and create many different forms of political ideology (socialism, communism, marxism - not saying any of them are 'right', just as examples). After more than a century of the LibLabCon, our brains have been shrunk, and we as a people cannot any longer 'think outside the box'. We have been narrowed in thought, and therefore in deed. We cannot even imagine, let alone create something new, something better. We cannot think outside of the status quo.

    If you vote YES you have the opportunity to learn from previous mistakes, and put them right. A No vote just endorses the same mistakes to be made over and over again, for ever more. It is accepting government of the people, rather than for the people.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild